Where does this plug go? Jeep won’t start

Distributor pickup did not do the trick. Swapping CPS tomorrow
What brand sensors are you swapping in, most sensors from O'Reilly's and similar stores are a total waste of time and money. If I'm cornered then it's NAPA Echlin if Mopar or NTK are not available. They just do not perform well if at all in our Jeeps.

Reactions: Wranglerfix
mopar Crankshaft Positioning Sensor installed, still not starting.

Not sure where to take it from here.

Fuel and Volt gauges do not work either. They only show life when I do a cluster test. I’m thinking that’s somehow related as before they would “jump” at startup.

Last edited:
mopar Crankshaft Positioning Sensor installed, still not starting.

Not sure where to take it from here.

Fuel and Volt gauges do not work either. They only show life when I do a cluster test. I’m thinking that’s somehow related as before they would “jump” at startup.
Check the wiring harness that goes from the three 32 pin connectors to the engine sensors between the valve cover and firewall around the threaded head stud on the drivers side. The split wire loom and harness insulation are known to rub on the threaded head stud and expose wiring strands which short to ground interrupting communications between the ECM and the sensors. IF this occurs your engine will not start or IF it starts will shut off when the short reoccurs.

What is the generally accepted way to check all the connectors for grounding/wiring issues?

So I threw in the towel and had her towed to a shop. They are telling me the computer is done, which I kinda suspected.

Can any of you tell me:
General price?
Can I pull one out of the junkyard?
Does it need to be programmed?
(1997 TJ 4.0 Manual, I believe it was built 8/96)

So I threw in the towel and had her towed to a shop. They are telling me the computer is done, which I kinda suspected.

Can any of you tell me:
General price?
Give Mark @Wranglerfix at www.wranglerfix.com a call. He's a good guy who can figure out your best options for a PCM, his shop is full of PCM experts.

Can any of you tell me:
General price?
1997 is a split year for ECM’s and are very simple to build. You can call me at 866-888-7710 to discuss in further detail.