Where is this 32RH transmission leak coming from?

Bigmac

Rather be in 29 palms.
Supporting Member
Skid plate was covered and it had started to drip to the floor. Only happens when driving or on certain angles as far as I can tell. Cleaned it up and had cardboard under it for a few days while replacing an axle seal and have seen nothing. Started taking it up and down the road a couple of times today and it looks like the damn bolts are leaking where the trans body bolts to the output shaft housing...

they didn't have a whole drop formed but really looked like they were almost weeping fluid.

I cleaned it up againwith some paper towels and got it on ramps in the garage now with cardboard under it to see if i can replicate.
IMG_20211003_153506364.jpg
IMG_20211003_153705352.jpg
IMG_20211003_155303122.jpg

IMG_20211003_153506364.jpg

IMG_20211003_153705352.jpg

I'll be following as my Apex developed a leak in this tranny as well. I took a quick look, and it appears to be coming from the drivers side, maybe where the cable (I think its a cable) enters the transmission. My skid is covered as well. Please let us know when you find it!

Reactions: Bigmac
different lighting but im positive additional fluid is present now.
IMG_20211005_194017856.jpg
IMG_20211005_194023268.jpg
IMG_20211005_194032747.jpg
IMG_20211005_194200311_HDR.jpg

New drop formed on the front of the 241 mating surface. Also additional collection on the bottom left bolt that connects the front and back half of the tranny.

Connection on left side of tranny looks wet but cant be sure that isn't left over from before I cleaned it up.

Has anyone had this trans separated into two pieces? I believe I have 2 issues. (1) the extended seal that allows the 32rh to mate with the np241 is letting fluid past, and (2) the seal between the front and back half of the transmission is letting fluid seep out the mating surface, showing itself on the bolt by filling the bolt hole and weeping out on the bolt itself.

Thoughts?

IMG_20211005_194023268.jpg

IMG_20211005_194032747.jpg

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? Had my trans rebuilt maybe 12 months ago now give or take. And have now spotted a leak coming from the same bolt closest to the pan.
Also might be leaking at the pan from the shitty cork gasket. Gonna swap to lubelocker soon.
View attachment 456178

Ended up being the seal on the tail shaft housing. Gotta pull the whole thing off and reinstall it on the back of the transmission. I thought I had it stopped for a while and now it's back...

Original transfer case?

No it's the 241 but I know what your getting at. It does have the seal extension installed correctly to meet the short input on the 241. I actually ended up accidentally ordering 2 and I've held onto it for a few years just in case. Maybe one of these years it'll be worth Dr. Evil money.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Ended up being the seal on the tail shaft housing. Gotta pull the whole thing off and reinstall it on the back of the transmission. I thought I had it stopped for a while and now it's back...

Is it a bench job or can it be installed with the trans still under the jeep? I might not be able to get to it for a little bit. But ill just have to see if it starts pissing out more when i drive it.

You have to pull the transfer case off at the very least. Pulling the trans isn't absolutely necessary. You'll need to pull the pan to drain it though. Or it will all spill out the back when you pull the tail shaft housing off. Or maybe park facing downhill with some good wheel blocks haha.

Good time to install a deep pan kit with a drain plug.

Reactions: hear
You have to pull the transfer case off at the very least. Pulling the trans isn't absolutely necessary. You'll need to pull the pan to drain it though. Or it will all spill out the back when you pull the tail shaft housing off. Or maybe park facing downhill with some good wheel blocks haha.

Good time to install a deep pan kit with a drain plug.

Okay sweet doesn’t sound too complicated. Just installed a deep with drain plug and was hoping that was the last time id have to touch the trans smh

Okay sweet doesn’t sound too complicated. Just installed a deep with drain plug and was hoping that was the last time id have to touch the trans smh

Ive pulled that transmission a number of times for various reasons and it always sucks. My vote would be to do it under the Jeep. And to hope that's actually where your leak is coming from...

If you pull the skid plate off go nuts with brake cleaner or a pressure washer and get the trans real clean, then dry with rags. Throw some cardboard under it and do your best to pinpoint the first drip.

When you drive the shit just goes everywhere.

Reactions: Filthyoutage
Ive pulled that transmission a number of times for various reasons and it always sucks. My vote would be to do it under the Jeep. And to hope that's actually where your leak is coming from...

If you pull the skid plate off go nuts with brake cleaner or a pressure washer and get the trans real clean, then dry with rags. Throw some cardboard under it and do your best to pinpoint the first drip.

When you drive the shit just goes everywhere.

I’m now thinking the previous owner swapped in the transfer case from another tj with the ax-15. I wont know for sure until i crack it open. But if that is the case what are my options?

I’m now thinking the previous owner swapped in the transfer case from another tj with the ax-15. I wont know for sure until i crack it open. But if that is the case what are my options?

You can either get the seal extender, swap cases to one with the longer input, or get the planetary with the longer input and swap that into the case. Last option is to convert to a manual trans to match the t-case.

Reactions: Filthyoutage
No longer available haha, shit might have to swap to a manual just because. Ill pull the Tcase before i jump to conclusions. I wiped down the trans so ill check for leaks after work. Is there another part number that isnt discontinued? Cheers

View attachment 457040

View attachment 457041

I'll dig around... like I said I do have one extra.... let's verify that's really what you need via the vin and then we'll talk. Shipping to Australia is probably a bitch. Additionally, that transmission did have a 231 originally. Any reason the longer input couldn't be swapped in? Building a tcase isn't that hard.

I'll dig around... like I said I do have one extra.... let's verify that's really what you need via the vin and then we'll talk. Shipping to Australia is probably a bitch. Additionally, that transmission did have a 231 originally. Any reason the longer input couldn't be swapped in? Building a tcase isn't that hard.

Ought to use that one to have some made.