Where is this movement coming from?

I guess I learn something new (almost) every day.

I've worked on cars pretty much since I can remember and never saw a set screw on any brakes I've done.

The closest I think I've seen were tapped holes in brake drums where you could screw in a bolt to push the drum off the hub. I can't remember what kind of car but I know those threads were usually so rusty no bolt would ever screw in and a sledge hammer worked better.

On our Odyssey they are phillips head screws, and they are aluminum. Even with no rust, they are stuck in place, and any amount of force whatsoever with the screwdriver and they strip right out (being aluminum and all). It's always a pain in the butt, every single time.
There is no practical way they are aluminum.

I got my tires balanced and back on. Seems to have been my issue. One tire was out 1.75 ounces and the other was 1.25 ounce. Drives as smooth as ever now, at least up to about 65 which was as fast I could get up to without help from a hill or a tailwind. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Oh and @Chris that damn set screw was a bugger to find ;)

• Wow
Reactions: Chris and TJTJ04
I got my tires balanced and back on. Seems to have been my issue. One tire was out 1.75 ounces and the other was 1.25 ounce. Drives as smooth as ever now, at least up to about 65 which was as fast I could get up to without help from a hill or a tailwind. Thanks again for all the help guys.

Oh and @Chris that damn set screw was a bugger to find ;)

Thanks for the update! At least you were able to find it!

On our Odyssey they are phillips head screws, and they are aluminum. Even with no rust, they are stuck in place, and any amount of force whatsoever with the screwdriver and they strip right out (being aluminum and all). It's always a pain in the butt, every single time.
They are not aluminum and they are not phillips head. They are steel and they are JIS head. Use the appropriate tool and they'll come out nicely if you're not in the rust belt. (or an impact driver with a phillips head so you don't garf up the screw).

They are not aluminum and they are not phillips head. They are steel and they are JIS head. Use the appropriate tool and they'll come out nicely if you're not in the rust belt. (or an impact driver with a phillips head so you don't garf up the screw).

Interesting, I'd never heard of JIS head. Guess I need to buy a new tool!

Interesting, I'd never heard of JIS head. Guess I need to buy a new tool!
Japanese Industrial Standard or the equivalent of SAE over here. They tend to fuck up a bunch of stuff like the angle on countersunk heads. We use 82 degree, they use 90.

Reactions: Chris
Japanese Industrial Standard or the equivalent of SAE over here. They tend to fuck up a bunch of stuff like the angle on countersunk heads. We use 82 degree, they use 90.

Ironically, the JIS drivers work better in phillips heads than a phillips driver does

I guess that explains why it stripped out so easily when I used a standard Craftsman Phillips head screwdriver. I wasn't expecting that either, since the screws both looked brand new and didn't show any visible corrosion.