Where to get PowerTrax No-Slip?

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Doing some research on lockers and it seems for my budget and wheeling a lunchbox in the front and a winch will be enough to get me where I need to go until I can really start dumping money into my build. I do DD my jeep and there is some snow here in VA but I am willing to trade off 4wd in the snow for maybe 2 months of the year for a locked front in 4wd any time I want to wheel. That being said, everywhere I try to get the No-Slip 27 spline for the Dana 30 it says out of stock or unavailable. Has it been discontinued? I found one on ebay here but it is more expensive than it should be and I am not sure the credibility of it, though it says returns are accepted within 14 days.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
I would not install ANY locker into a stock Dana 35, it's not strong enough, and neither would I install any lunchbox locker into a rear axle where they are notoriously poorly behaved. At least for Jeeps that also see the highways and streets, it'd be ok for an offroad only Jeep though.

If you really want a locker in your Dana 35 do it with a Super 35 kit which uses 30 spline full-case lockers like the Eaton E-Locker, ARB Air Locker, or Detroit Locker.

Thanks Jerry. You've replied to me on this subject previously and I appreciate it. My plan, when I regear to 4.56, is to install the Super 35 kit and Eaton Truetrac on the rear, and for the front, the Powertrax No-Slip Locker.

Undecided if I want to upgrade the front axles to Chromoly. I rarely wheel and when I do, I take the bunny slopes.

Last edited:
I’m reading on some other threads that lunchbox lockers cause extreme wear on front steering components and makes you break u-joints easier. Also that the steering box will eventually blow with a lunchbox locker? Does anyone have any input on this

Depends, my spartan is noisy, i put in there to get power to all front wheels so i dont really care what it sounds like, it works. Its been in for 3 years and ive not had any issues or breakages, im on 35s with stock dana 30 shafts and i wheel the rubicon and fordyce trails pretty regularly. Steering is fine, axle is fine. Things can get dicey in the ice. As long as you know your vehicle and how to make it move in all conditions you will be fine. For the rear i built a super 35 with detroit. Its my favorite.

Depends, my spartan is noisy, i put in there to get power to all front wheels so i dont really care what it sounds like, it works. Its been in for 3 years and ive not had any issues or breakages, im on 35s with stock dana 30 shafts and i wheel the rubicon and fordyce trails pretty regularly.
I'd start saving for 4340 shafts up front, it's a bitch when you're on the trail and a front axle breaks as eventually happened to me in 2003 with 35's and a front locker. It didn't happen right away but when it did happen it was at a very bad time. It happened right in the middle of a very tough trail where 3-wd was not going to get me out and that other front shaft was just waiting to break with the added stress it was seeing. P.S. This was the first and last time I used that stupid Hi-Lift, it scared the shit out of me when things shifted and it tipped partly over. I should have used my bottle jack placed under the front axle.

Hi-Lift Capture.JPG

Reactions: Shwiftypickle
I'd start saving for 4340 shafts up front, it's a bitch when you're on the trail and a front axle breaks as eventually happened to me in 2003 with 35's and a front locker. It didn't happen right away but when it did happen it was at a very bad time. It happened right in the middle of a very tough trail where 3-wd was not going to get me out and that other front shaft was just waiting to break with the added stress it was seeing. P.S. This was the first and last time I used that stupid Hi-Lift, it scared the shit out of me when things shifted and it tipped partly over. I should have used my bottle jack placed under the front axle.

View attachment 371024
The shafts are definately next on the list, last summer i didnt wheel much because of the dang fires again so i will grab them this winter and i hear ya on the hi lift, i do carry one but its new and never used and i also keep a bottle jack with me at all times.
I know its only a matter of time on those stock shafts. 😬

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Noisy in 2H as well?

Yes… on turns you would hear the ratchet sound but on tight turns it would let out a loud bang… sounds like something broke… I took mine out and inspected it before I sent it back and there was no damage…this may be normal but I want sounds like that telling me that something is wrong!…

Thanks Jerry. You've replied to me on this subject previously and I appreciate it. My plan, when I regear to 4.56, is to install the Super 35 kit and Eaton Truetrac on the rear, and for the front, the Powertrax No-Slip Locker.

Undecided if I want to upgrade the front axles to Chromoly. I rarely wheel and when I do, I take the bunny slopes.

Unfortunately Eaton does not make a 30 spline Truetrac for the Dana 35.

For a Super 35 your choices are going to be a Detroit auto or one of the selectables.

• Angry
Reactions: diggerwolf
Any adverse affect on power steering on trails?

Not that I can tell. My steering was whining a bit last time I went but I wouldn't blame any type of locker. If it's locked it will want to steer straight no matter what locker you have in your diff. If you are turning sharp it will work the steering system more than normal.

The biggest advantage for selectable is you can use 4wd and be unlocked which is safer on the road with snow/ice and it will help you turn tighter if you can select unlock. Of course it has to actually unlock for that to happen.

Reactions: DropTopDon
Ive had zero problems with my Torqmaster in the front. Totally transformed the jeep off road, for the better. I barely notice it in the street. I have two jeeps both with the Torqmaster. One of them you can barely hear any clicking, most people dont even notice it. The 2nd jeep you can definitely hear it but it doesn't bother me.