Where to get replacement brake lines?

Camhabib

TJ Enthusiast
So, fun story. Went to take the TJ out this morning and got to the end of my road when I tried to brake. Stepped on the pedal and it went straight to the ground. Quickly threw it in neutral and yanked on the hand brake and manages to roll it back home. Popped open the hood and one of the brake lines was just gushing fluid.

It’s a 98 Sahara with ABS. Picture bellow of the brake line. Any idea where I can get a replacement and if it’s worth doing the rest of the lines now given that this one just went?

B7E7B460-A1DC-4C1A-BD0F-7F1A24754811.jpeg

It takes time and patience, and you have to spend some effort to get the hard lines up, over, around and through all of the myriad obstacles, and you will spend some time on your back underneath. But it's not very difficult at all. I strongly recommend you get some brake line wrenches if you are doing this yourself. You will not be sorry at all. If you don't get a set, there is a good chance that you will be sorry you didn't. The other thing to look at while looking at the brake lines is the fuel hard line. It has a tendency to rust as well.

My 2002 went through our MOT in October prior to being stored for the winter.

MOT is an annual test of road worthiness based on safety.

Original brake lines - tester said "Bit if corrosion on one line, might be worth thinking about replacing."

Him being English, like me, I took this as classic understatement.

All brake lines being replaced before it goes back on the road in April.

That odd protective spring thing around the brake lines hides a lot of corrosion.

The mechanic that I use will make each brake line up as required.

So to answer your question properly it might be easier/quicker/cheaper to use a shop that has the expertise to make the lines and install them in-situ.

Last edited: