Where to hide stereo face plate in a TJ?

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So I've all but decided to ditch my security glove box. Cause it's ugly as hell and rattles all the time. And locking and unlocking it is a hassle. And honestly it doesn't look to hard to defeat with a small crow bar.

I know it seems like a seconds worth of time. But literally every time you get out and get back in you have to lock or unlock the glove box to either get your stereo faceplate out or put it back in. Plus that security glove box looks like sh*t in the dash. It's big and black and my dash is dark grey.

Half the time I just put it in my pocket. But that's a hassle too. I already have a set of keys, a wallet and a phone in my pockets.

SO I'm searching for a good place to just hide the stereo faceplate someplace in the Jeep. That isn't to obvious. And easy to get too. I was even thinking of putting a little shelf or something under the dash or someplace just to lay it on in a hidden place. Or a stock place in the Jeep where it could be tucked out of the way. Ya it's not gonna stop the pro thief that knows where to look. But will a pro thief really want my $50 stereos faceplate?! I'm sure my Kenwood stereo is an older sub $100 unit. I'm not even sure you could get $50 for it used.

I'm also ditching my trunk security box. To make room for hauling stuff in the back. I want to remove the back seat. And be able to open the back tailgate and window and load groceries or supplies or camping gear. The trunk security box isn't big enough for anything more than a good set of tools. But I'm not sure I want to leave that many tools in my Jeep all the time anyway.

Anybody got any good hiding places they've discovered in their Jeep?

Let me guess that your rattling security glove box was made by Smittybilt. My Tuffy security glove box in my previous (stolen) TJ was absolutely rattle free after being properly installed and adjusted.

If it's a Tuffy and you really want to get rid of it, please let me be first in line for it.

Last edited:
Let me guess that your rattling security glove box was made by Smittybilt. My Tuffy security glove box in my previous (stolen) TJ was absolutely rattle free after being properly installed and adjusted.

If it's a Tuffy and you really want to get rid of it, please let me be first in line for it.

I'm not sure. I'll look.

Its latch is adjustable to stop the rattle. But if you really don't like it, send me a message with what you want for it. If it's cheap enough I'll beg my decision maker for permission lol.

I have an 02 TJ-X. There is a lockable console between the front seats (arm rest).

Ya. Mine was already broke into. Pretty obvious place to look for stuff. I'm thinking something put up under the seat. Where you could slip the faceplate into it. And not feel it or see it just sitting under the seat. Or the same thing under the dash maybe.

Its latch is adjustable to stop the rattle. But if you really don't like it, send me a message with what you want for it. If it's cheap enough I'll beg my decision maker for permission lol.

As soon as I find a new glove box. I'll let you know. ARe you sure you want one? They screw into the same places on the plastic dash as the original. If someone took a small crow bar to it they would walk away with your lock box and destroy the dash completely.

I could see it's value out camping next to your Jeep. OR short times away from your Jeep. In a busy safe area. But man, if a thief ever got to it they'd destroy your dash.

If it's just the face plate, why not take it with you? It's a hell of a lot cheaper (see also: free) than buying some kind of security device.

If it's just the face plate, why not take it with you? It's a hell of a lot cheaper (see also: free) than buying some kind of security device.

It's just a hassle. I already have keys, phone, wallet, sometimes a pocket knife and who knows what else. In my pants.

I'm thinking maybe even taking a piece of foam out of my roll bar covers and slipping it in there. When not in use. Or a simple wire cradle under the seat or dash. Just some place easy and fast to get to. And back into.

Are you sure you want one? They screw into the same places on the plastic dash as the original. If someone took a small crow bar to it they would walk away with your lock box and destroy the dash completely.
I had one in my previous TJ and liked it a lot, I still miss it. I think my OE glove box is dark gray but it has offroad plaques stuck all over it. I'd be moving the plaques over to any new glove box door, odds are they wouldn't leave anything behind on the OE door if you're interested.

I had one in my previous TJ and liked it a lot, I still miss it. I think my OE glove box is dark gray but it has offroad plaques stuck all over it. I'd be moving the plaques over to any new glove box door, odds are they wouldn't leave anything behind on the OE door if you're interested.

Thanks bud. But I just picked one up from another member on here a couple hours ago. As soon as I get the tuffy taken out and the new one in. I'll let you know. :)

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I've got this Tuffy under-seat lock box in my rig. It's out of sight and very easy to get to, even when you're sitting on the seat. It fits my face plate, a CB mic (I disconnect it when not in use), and a small organizer box in which I keep various items.

I've got a similar lock box for ccw. Holds a glock 19 and a mag or two. I might put that in. Got it like 20 years ago. Had it in my Yukon for years. Quick access 5 push button lock. You don't even have to use a key. Was made by some Cali company to compli with CA carry in vehicle rules. Nothing I would use to leave a gun in the car. For any length of time. Just during the day. And take it out at night. HArd to defeat. But still.

I have a little pouch from radio shack that will hold my faceplate. I might figure out a place to stash that secretly in the Jeep. Gotta just spend some time looking around inside the jeep. That and get my new seats in. I might affix something to the underside of the seat. To hold the faceplate. Like up under the seat. We'll see.