Which chromoly shafts should I go with?

Jack_Stefan

TJ Enthusiast
Hi!
I’m looking to upgrade my front axle shafts. I have Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear.

in the future I would like to upgrade to 35” so I’d like to build up to that little by little

is 27spline okay for 35”? Should I opt for 30?

I want to be prepped for regearing and lockers.

Also it seems like a lot of chromoly shafts are sourced from the same factory in India. I guess it’s okay with whatever Amazon brand I get? Or quadratec?

ty!

Hi!
I’m looking to upgrade my front axle shafts. I have Dana 30 up front and Dana 44 in the rear.

in the future I would like to upgrade to 35” so I’d like to build up to that little by little

is 27spline okay for 35”? Should I opt for 30?

I want to be prepped for regearing and lockers.

Also it seems like a lot of chromoly shafts are sourced from the same factory in India. I guess it’s okay with whatever Amazon brand I get? Or quadratec?

ty!
27 spline 4340 shafts are perfectly fine up front for 35's and a front locker in my personal experience after having broken a factory shaft while wheeling. Personally I'd go for Revolution Gear who has been getting axle shafts back in stock lately.

Don't go with just inner shafts. It was my outer stub shaft that broke on mine.

DSCF0048withArrow.jpg

Also agree with above. Revolution with a factory spline count. In the unlikely event you break one, you can slide a factory axle back in until the broken one is replaced.

Reactions: LarryTJ and hear
Dutchman axle can have you some American made chromoly shafts shipped to your door if country of origin matters to you.

Although, I believe Revolution carries the best warranty.

Does anybody sell just the inner shafts? I'm likely gonna end up with a locking hub conversion and I hate to pay for outers I can't use.

Speaking of big joints, I had to turn some material off of the shoulder of the unit bearing bolts to clearance for the larger joints.

20190329-171152.jpg

20190329-171156.jpg

20190329-171204.jpg

20190329-173058.jpg

20190401-214506.jpg

Last edited:
27 spline 4340 shafts are perfectly fine up front for 35's and a front locker in my personal experience after having broken a factory shaft while wheeling. Personally I'd go for Revolution Gear who has been getting axle shafts back in stock lately.
Ty for the info jerry!

the revolutions are out of my budget however.

would something from like ten factory be okay? They have a ten year warranty from I can tell and use good ujoints

Ten Factory MG22148 Performance Complete Front Axle Kit (Dana 30) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005TDOB26/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Spec-wise they ok but Alloy USA doesn't get consistently good reviews. There's a terrible review on that Amazon page in your link. How much more were RGA's less costly imported Discovery shafts?

Reactions: Jack_Stefan
Does anybody sell just the inner shafts? I'm likely gonna end up with a locking hub conversion and I hate to pay for outers I can't use.

Since posting this I've learned that many do, they just don't put it in their main catalog so you have to dig it out of google.

Don't go with just inner shafts. It was my outer stub shaft that broke on mine.

View attachment 268660

this one?

I'm not just upgrading inners to go with stock outers - I will have chromoly outers with my Yukon locking hub kit. I'm just looking for the inners so the entire shaft is upgraded and not just half of it.

Ok, I thought the hubs were a future upgrade.

gotcha. No, I've had revolutions full front shafts in my wish list for a while, but when it started looking like I might need hubs to cure my vibes I realized the full shafts would leave me with unusable spare parts. It'll be either hubs + inners, or full shafts. I just won't know 100% until I get my new skid plate on and see if anything unexpected and magical happens with that.

Vibes from excessive pinion angle? Have you tried dialing that angle back just enough until the vibes stop and see if you still have enough caster angle for good steering/return-to-center?

Spec-wise they ok but Alloy USA doesn't get consistently good reviews. There's a terrible review on that Amazon page in your link. How much more were RGA's less costly imported Discovery shafts?
Are you referring to these jerry?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...4ylXNmS6ebTVFKEZGsWigD0WiiU0EryBoCy8oQAvD_BwE
I was referring to a link someone posted earlier that listed them for 1k. But maybe i read that wrong.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?forma...lj_xj_and_zj_us_made_front_axle_kit_27_spline

Are you referring to these jerry?
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/...hoi2XlBKsoXAVgF6j2_JCJn0XUkP3MEBoCBh0QAvD_BwE
I was referring to a link someone posted earlier that listed them for 1k. But maybe i read that wrong.
Yes, they're what I was referring to. Note those are 30 spline shafts and won't work in your Dana 30. You need the 27 spline version like (but is out of stock) at https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/axle-shafts/dc-Dana 30-tj-revolution-gear-discovery-series-Dana 30-27-spline-front-axle-kit

Disregard where it says only for 2004 and newer, it will work on your Sport. Copy and paste that entire URL into your browser, it's not parsing correctly in this post despite multiple attempts to make it link correctly. @Chris