Which oil is best?

HeffTJ

Supporting Member
What are the pros and cons of using a synthetic 10W30 versus conventional motor oil in my 2005 4.0L? Thanks!

I would avoid synthetic. I tried it in my 4.0 and developed a rear main seal leak.

Next oil change, I went back to conventional oil and the leak stopped.

I didn’t know about the synthetic problem until I read about it in online forums, and proved it to myself in my Jeep.

It seems synthetic oil is “thinner” than conventional oil, and has the tendency to seep past seals.

I went with high mileage conventional BTW, and haven’t had any issues since.

Thanks. I'm also a stickler for changing every 3,500 miles. It's cheep insurance or maybe I was just raised to think so, but I do!

The "every 3000 miles" rule was invented by quick oil change companies in order to make more money for themselves.

Unless your oil is dirty or it takes you six months to accumulate that mileage, you are wasting your money.

According to the Owner's Manual, you should change your oil every 6 months or 7500 miles under normal driving conditions.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
These 4.0s aren’t very picky when it comes to oil. I have always run just regular 10W30 Dino oil and mine seems perfectly happy. I do always use a Mopar filter though.

The "every 3000 miles" rule was invented by quick oil change companies in order to make more money for themselves.

Unless your oil is dirty or it takes you six months to accumulate that mileage, you are wasting your money.

According to the Owner's Manual, you should change your oil every 6 months or 7500 miles under normal driving conditions.
While your statement is true, for normal driving conditions. Most of the USA, especially the East coast is considered severe duty driving. This warrants more frequent oil changes, every 5k.

I'm running synthetic Oil with no issues. I run the Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic High Milage specifically. The stuff is made from natural gas and I'm halfway through my second oil change with no leaks whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: skrelnik
Why do you think the East Coast is "severe duty" driving?
I though severe duty is in the mountains ?
Severe duty is considered any condition where the vehicle is used for towing, mountain/hilly areas and high traffic areas where the vehicle is sitting in stop/go traffic or idling for extended period or traveling at higher rates of speed.

Being a GM technician, I can tell you draining the oil out of a 4k mile vs 7500 mile engine is a difference of night and day.

I can also tell you that the engines that see a more frequent service interval are the ones that last longer.

Most of the engines I tear down for internal problems are due to extended service intervals.

So to me changing the oil every 3-4k miles is not a waste of time, it's preventative maintainence that will extend the life of your vehicle.

GM vehicles have a oil life monitor system and yes you could get 7500-10000 miles before the oil life hits 0%, but we still recommend every 5k when using GM Dexos synthetic oil.

Several of us (myself included) have tried synthetic only to find that the hydraulic lifters in the 4.0 start rattling and ticking like crazy. I couldn’t believe how loud it was. After about 50 miles I immediately went back to conventional 10w-30 and the noise went away.

Severe duty is considered any condition where the vehicle is used for towing, mountain/hilly areas and high traffic areas where the vehicle is sitting in stop/go traffic or idling for extended period or traveling at higher rates of speed.

Being a GM technician, I can tell you draining the oil out of a 4k mile vs 7500 mile engine is a difference of night and day.

I can also tell you that the engines that see a more frequent service interval are the ones that last longer.

Most of the engines I tear down for internal problems are due to extended service intervals.

So to me changing the oil every 3-4k miles is not a waste of time, it's preventative maintainence that will extend the life of your vehicle.

GM vehicles have a oil life monitor system and yes you could get 7500-10000 miles before the oil life hits 0%, but we still recommend every 5k when using GM Dexos synthetic oil.
Yep. I was an ASE certified master tech for 15 years - long time ago now - but the basics don't change. I certainly won't dispute the comments made by 4.0 owners who started to notice lifter noise, but I am willing to bet that had more to do with the weight of oil than the fact that is was synthetic. Regardless, changing oil and filter regularly is key to engine life.

I use Valvoline 10w-30 synthetic blend for the past 35,000 miles, no issues. The oil analysis I had done said I could extend that interval to 5,500 without a problem.

Reactions: skrelnik
Several of us (myself included) have tried synthetic only to find that the hydraulic lifters in the 4.0 start rattling and ticking like crazy. I couldn’t believe how loud it was. After about 50 miles I immediately went back to conventional 10w-30 and the noise went away.
Interesting..... I've used the Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic high milage formula for a couple changes now and haven't noticed any lifter noise. I'll have to pay closer attention maybe....