Which state?

I fled California 3 years ago, and I felt like a Jew fleeing Germany ca 1933! I feel your pain. Ended up in Florida. Its hot, flat, and ugly - but the taxes are low, cost of living is low, healthcare is great, politics are mostly tolerable, and it doesn't snow! I'd rather be in Kentucky, but it snows there and the taxes - while not bad at all - still aren't as good as Fl. Our only problem here is the New York Liberals - New York is another state that needs to drop off into the ocean and take New Jersey with it. As a non-Christian, Florida isn't nearly as "bad" with the Bible Belt nonsense as some, although we do have our share of it. I'm not much on beaches or the seashore, more of a mountain guy, but overall, Florida isn't bad and it has its advantages. The Belly Dance scene here is pretty good too.

Back when I lived in California, I knew any number of people who moved to Oregon. Most of them came back - not many job opportunities and the property tax situation was out of control even back then (20-30 years ago). I can only imagine what its like now with the California contagion spreading.
Yep NY sucks...I am 45 minutes away form NYC on Long Island. My taxes are $14,700/year on a 1965 built colonial (nice area, not crazy nice). Cannot wait to retire else where, just built a house in PA so that is first step...maybe TN for a southern house?

Reactions: Rick Flair
I can only tell you this, with regards to pay: I was able to retire at age 56 because I'm out of Commiefornia. Pay isn't everything - but you do need to run the numbers for y our situation.

I’d always welcome an Arfcommer, I’d not recommend Minnesota though unless you want cold.

Right! I know and get what he’s talking about, I’m not your typical west coast transplant. I’m a freedom loving, live and let live guy that just wants to be left alone with my family, my dogs and my guns. I want a slow pace, and just hate having the government in my pocket and hate it even more when someone tries to control what I do. Especially in regards to MY land.

I do fear telling people where I’m from as I don’t want to be assumed to be from Portland. Anytime I meet someone and say Oregon, they think I’m a freak from Portland and there are not conservative people and areas here. There are, just give me a chance to fly my flags and share a drink.

Thank you, I’ll check out your state as well! Any tips on areas?
I was just down visiting Biloxi and the other gulf towns between there and New Orleans right before Kungflu hit. Lots of friends in Covington and Slidell LA.

He’s in a great area. Close enough to New Orleans for the best food in the world. Better like crawfish. Absolutely great people down there that represent true southern hospitality.

Right! I know and get what he’s talking about, I’m not your typical west coast transplant. I’m a freedom loving, live and let live guy that just wants to be left alone with my family, my dogs and my guns. I want a slow pace, and just hate having the government in my pocket and hate it even more when someone tries to control what I do. Especially in regards to MY land.

I do fear telling people where I’m from as I don’t want to be assumed to be from Portland. Anytime I meet someone and say Oregon, they think I’m a freak from Portland and there are not conservative people and areas here. There are, just give me a chance to fly my flags and share a drink.
I hear you, and I agree as well. I just want the gov't off my back, and out of my pocket! There's good and bad everywhere, you have to find the balance that works for you. For myself, I consider both the major parties 1/3rd right, and 2/3rds wrong, and don't care for the "total package" either one of them promulgates - they're both parties of slavery as far as I'm concerned. I'd say I'm Libertarian more than anything else - believing first of all in personal freedom, but OTOH, the party of that name has tilted left like everything else, and like the other two, is 1/3rd right, 2/3rds wrong. As "Treebeard" famously said, ""I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side..."

Most people really aren't interested in freedom, they just want fair masters that agree with them.

Thanks all for the replies. Looked at Utah and it is a dream state, but boy is it spendy!

Eh, depends on the part of UT. I've found the cost of living to be similar to what I had in FL, though you will add another 6.5% (I think) income tax on top of it. I have a modest home, 3k sq feet built in '10 and my tax every year is about $1300. Not hateful. As far as home prices you'll do much better the farther south from SLC you go. Between Provo & Hurricane you can find a lot of space surrounded by BLM property.

I spent a lot of time growing up on the east coast, D.C. NoVa area, so I suppose that's my baseline. No personal property taxes, inspections, etc... I dig it.

In MS, I would suggest the Southern part but not the 3 Southermost counties. I like it where I am in Pearl River County. The South. Low cost of living. Hot as hell in summer and pretty cold sometimes in winter. I am rural with a few acres, garden and fruit orchard. I like country living.....and NO crawfish here....ha ha ha

I was just down visiting Biloxi and the other gulf towns between there and New Orleans right before Kungflu hit. Lots of friends in Covington and Slidell LA.

He’s in a great area. Close enough to New Orleans for the best food in the world. Better like crawfish. Absolutely great people down there that represent true southern hospitality.

Nice! That sounds pretty awesome!

I hear you, and I agree as well. I just want the gov't off my back, and out of my pocket! There's good and bad everywhere, you have to find the balance that works for you. For myself, I consider both the major parties 1/3rd right, and 2/3rds wrong, and don't care for the "total package" either one of them promulgates - they're both parties of slavery as far as I'm concerned. I'd say I'm Libertarian more than anything else - believing first of all in personal freedom, but OTOH, the party of that name has tilted left like everything else, and like the other two, is 1/3rd right, 2/3rds wrong. As "Treebeard" famously said, ""I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side..."

Most people really aren't interested in freedom, they just want fair masters that agree with them.

Agreed, I’m more libertarian as well, but stopped really saying it as most people just didn’t get it and I got tired of the picture being painted the way it is...but you are right my friend, the problem with politics, the liars and thieves in office. 👍

Reactions: Zorba
In MS, I would suggest the Southern part but not the 3 Southermost counties. I like it where I am in Pearl River County. The South. Low cost of living. Hot as hell in summer and pretty cold sometimes in winter. I am rural with a few acres, garden and fruit orchard. I like country living.....and NO crawfish here....ha ha ha

Thank you sir, great info! You are living that best life being rural.

Reactions: Blondie70
If I had my way, (which I don't because the wife would never go along with it) I'd live in Brevard, NC and have a second place in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. I already speak the language, love grits, and and can drink enough super sweet tea to kill a kidney.

Last edited:
Born in Mass, it sucks. Moved to Connecticut it sucks too. Moved to Vermont, it was a very nice state, it sucks now as well. Went from there to NH, doesn't suck as much as the others, but getting suckier by the minute. From there we moved to Idaho, paradise, no suckage at all. Live in Florida now, you get screwed there too, but you do get a reach around. Too many transplanted sphincters in Florida. The other contiguous 48 states flush their ash and trash into Florida. I want to be back in Idaho.

Born in Mass, it sucks. Moved to Connecticut it sucks too. Moved to Vermont, it was a very nice state, it sucks now as well. Went from there to NH, doesn't suck as much as the others, but getting suckier by the minute. From there we moved to Idaho, paradise, no suckage at all. Live in Florida now, you get screwed there too, but you do get a reach around. Too many transplanted sphincters in Florida. The other contiguous 48 states flush their ash and trash into Florida. I want to be back in Idaho.

We have read a ton about Idaho and it seems like a great fit, although tax wise it’s not much better than Oregon but it reminds us of Oregon of 30 years back....thanks for the insight.

Reactions: Blondie70