Which steering kit should I go with?

RE's kit is a copy of Synergy. I have the currie and haven't had any problems.

Exactly, you need to figure out where the play is coming from. The play could be coming from several potential sources. Do a "dry steering test" to determine where the play is coming from. With the tires on the ground, have a helper start the engine and then repeatedly turn the steering wheel back & forth while you look closely at all the moving steering parts to see where the play is coming from.
This is a great post. But if I might add:
Withh all due respect to Jerry, this method did NOT enable me to find the actual problem. Which in my case was the steering gear.
I removed the drag link at the pitman. The drag link goes from the pitman arm to the passenger knuckle and thru design thru the driver tie rod.
Once I had removed the drag link to pitman ball joint, I realized that a 1/2" play was in the pitman arm / shaft.
A steering gear fix was the remedy.

If the steering box's input and output shafts are included in the scan for loose steering components, the dry steer test will find a bad steering box too. Confirming that the steering box's output shaft was turning in synch with its input shaft would have found that 1/2" slop caused by the worn steering box. :)

If the steering box's input and output shafts are included in the scan for loose steering components, the dry steer test will find a bad steering box too. Confirming that the steering box's output shaft was turning in synch with its input shaft would have found that 1/2" slop caused by the worn steering box. :)
Agree, Sir, to a minute point. Having a person inside the vehicle turning the steering wheel on command, and another watching the components underneath did not visibly or measurably indicate the problem. Which in my case, was the steering gear.
Which was only found by a complete disconnect of the drag link and manual manipulation of the pitman arm. 🙂