Which Tires Would Be Best?

KimsJeep

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Now that winter is coming, I am seriously wanting some new tires. I have read some threads about them and I am kind of leaning toward the K02's. From what I read they are quiet and I think someone even said they do well in the rain. That is my biggest concern, the rain. When I first got my Jeep I was driving in the rain, getting off of the freeway at a speed that I normally take the curve and the Jeep lost traction. Needless to say, scared the crap out of me. I definitely take it slower now. This could have been the tires or just me not used to driving a Wrangler? Either case, I want tires that do great in rain. I don't rock crawl or go mudding (yet), LOL, but I still want a tire that will do ok off road. The K02's look like the style of tire I am looking for.

I also found these tires. 4-NEW 31x10.50R15 General Grabber A/T X 109S C/6 Ply White Letter Tires, on Ebay. I kind of remember seeing these mentioned too.

So between the Grabbers, and the K02's, what do you all recommend for someone wanting good traction in the rain and also still be able to do some light off roading?

Thanks

You should talk to a local Discount Tire. I'd be willing to bet they could get you a better deal than getting tires from ebay and paying shipping. You'd also have to haul the tires to a shop any to install.

A number of members also like the Goodyear Duratrac. My sister ran them for years. They lasted a long time.

You should talk to a local Discount Tire. I'd be willing to bet they could get you a better deal than getting tires from ebay and paying shipping. You'd also have to haul the tires to a shop any to install.

A number of members also like the Goodyear Duratrac. My sister ran them for years. They lasted a long time.

The hauling and mounting is no big deal. Hubby has a tow truck we can throw them on, or I can just have them delivered to his work (the tow service) and he would install them there. We have a tire shop that will balance them for us. Also, I think the Ebay thing had free shipping but I would check before I ordered, if I go that route.

So the Duratrac is good in the rain?

My vote is duratrac or fuel gripper a/t

Thanks, I'll go have a look at those. I just don't want tires that look like full on street tires. LOL I want them to have some off road capability and looks. :D

Since you're concerned with good traction in the rain make sure the tire you choose has sipes in it. The more sipes the better. Sipes are what are cut into the sole of a boating deck shoe, they were invented by a butcher named John Sipe tired of slipping on his slick butcher shop floor.

These squiggly things highlighted with red are sipes...

Sipes.JPG

Ok, I better put some more info in. I am looking to only spend about 700 or less on them. I also want something that comes with white raised letters, because you know those are the important things. LOL :D Oh, and 31 10.5x15 is the tire size I'm looking for.

Since you're concerned with good traction in the rain make sure the tire you choose has sipes in it. The more sipes the better. Sipes are what are cut into the sole of a boating deck shoe, they were invented by a butcher named John Sipe tired of slipping on his slick butcher shop floor.

These squiggly things highlighted with red are sipes...

View attachment 117787

Thanks for that info. I will make sure to look for those in the tire.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Now that winter is coming, I am seriously wanting some new tires. I have read some threads about them and I am kind of leaning toward the K02's. From what I read they are quiet and I think someone even said they do well in the rain. That is my biggest concern, the rain. When I first got my Jeep I was driving in the rain, getting off of the freeway at a speed that I normally take the curve and the Jeep lost traction. Needless to say, scared the crap out of me. I definitely take it slower now. This could have been the tires or just me not used to driving a Wrangler? Either case, I want tires that do great in rain. I don't rock crawl or go mudding (yet), LOL, but I still want a tire that will do ok off road. The K02's look like the style of tire I am looking for.

I also found these tires. 4-NEW 31x10.50R15 General Grabber A/T X 109S C/6 Ply White Letter Tires, on Ebay. I kind of remember seeing these mentioned too.

So between the Grabbers, and the K02's, what do you all recommend for someone wanting good traction in the rain and also still be able to do some light off roading?

Thanks

I have had two sets of KO2's over the years and just tried a set of General Grabber A/T X 2's. The KO2's seem to have a stiffer sidewall. I am pleased with the Generals.

Reactions: KimsJeep
One more tidbit that if they're molded into the tire with a wider opening they are not sipes, they are called kerfs. A true sipe is cut into the tread block which is far more effective on wet surfaces than a kerf. :)

Ok, thanks.

So I went to Discount Tires, I guess aka America's tires, and found that the Duratrac is out of my price range. I keep going back to the Grabbers, in this link... https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/general-grabber-atx/p/43594 Which seem to have a lot of "sipes".

I also kind of like these although the tread pattern is borderline street. They also have a lot of sipes.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-at3-xlt/p/36882
And these are actually kind of neat, even better price point too. LOL

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/cooper-discoverer-atp/p/10440

All are similar enough to me that I'd mainly be concerned that my selection had the correct Load Range C rating which is appropriate to a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler. Load Range D or E tires will be stiffer and rougher riding, they are made for heavier vehicles than the Wrangler.

I didn't see that information anywhere on those three pages so I'd ask them to verify that what you end up buying has the proper C Load Rating. :)

All are similar enough to me that I'd mainly be concerned that my selection had the correct Load Range C rating which is appropriate to a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler. Load Range D or E tires will be stiffer and rougher riding, they are made for heavier vehicles than the Wrangler.

I didn't see that information anywhere on those three pages so I'd ask them to verify that what you end up buying has the proper C Load Rating. :)

Ok, thanks. I will check before I buy. I will most likely go down to the actual store so I can talk to a person. Right now I'm kind of leaning toward the Grabbers. They also have a $100 dollar rebate I can do. Which will make them even cheaper.

Thanks again.

Edit to add, that I just looked and in the size of the tire at the top, it says C1 I'm guessing that is the C rating? I'll ask to be sure though.

Oh, and if you don't see me posting about my new tires, its because it took longer to get my hubby on board with the idea of me buying new ones. LOL I started mentioning it to him again just recently and he tells me he hasn't towed any of my size tires in yet. LOL That is where I got this set I have on it now. LOL

Oh, and I wanted to see if America's tire website would let me pay with my Pay Pal credit, and it wouldn't even let me check out. It wanted to know the vehicle and when I put that info in, it change my tire size to 9.5 and I don't want that. LOL That is another reason I need to go to the store. If they won't sell them and mount and balance them because of the size, I may just get them to sell them and I'll do the mounting and all.

Oh, and if you don't see me posting about my new tires, its because it took longer to get my hubby on board with the idea of me buying new ones. LOL I started mentioning it to him again just recently and he tells me he hasn't towed any of my size tires in yet. LOL That is where I got this set I have on it now. LOL

Oh, and I wanted to see if America's tire website would let me pay with my Pay Pal credit, and it wouldn't even let me check out. It wanted to know the vehicle and when I put that info in, it change my tire size to 9.5 and I don't want that. LOL That is another reason I need to go to the store. If they won't sell them and mount and balance them because of the size, I may just get them to sell them and I'll do the mounting and all.
Big tire chain law departments have taken control in many instances, sometimes the salesmen are afraid to sell you what you want even if it is appropriate for your make & model vehicle. It took some doing for me to get my 35" Goodyears for my Wrangler years ago since it's not a factory size tire. They wouldn't even consider providing the slightly wider rear tires my BMW came with from the factory since their computer didn't indicate them as a factory size. I hate dealing with big-name tire stores, small independent stores are often a better/easier yet still competitively priced source.

Reactions: Sunder
Big tire chain law departments have taken control in many instances, sometimes the salesmen are afraid to sell you what you want even if it is appropriate for your make & model vehicle. It took some doing for me to get my 35" Goodyears for my Wrangler years ago since it's not a factory size tire. They wouldn't even consider providing the slightly wider rear tires my BMW came with from the factory since their computer didn't indicate them as a factory size. I hate dealing with big-name tire stores, small independent stores are often a better/easier yet still competitively priced source.

Yah, I think if I can't get them through Americas tire, then I will just order from Ebay. It had free shipping so that will most likely be the easiest route.

I've ordered from these guys before. Good service, fast shipping and the tire date codes were good.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=362350779881

Thanks for the link but those are black letters. :D I found a set from Motorcitycustoms on Ebay that has the white letters. :D

I almost would rather just order for Ebay because of being able to use my pay pal credit. They have a deal going on with spending over 600 on Ebay and you 0% APR for 24 months. Although I would pay it off in way less than that. LOL

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.