Which Warn winch is this? Is it worth it?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

I found this used winch + winch plate in a very low price. I'm thinking it.

Can you identify which warn winch is it?

If I buy it, I will swap to synthetic. But can you please let me know if its worth it or not?

173466834_10221577488721408_6202444921866237809_n.jpeg

173181330_10221577569963439_904307687848665268_n.jpeg

What's the serial number? It should be by the handle.

Worth depends on functionality and price. If you look in my thread I paid $250 and rebuilt one. Mainly because I wanted to learn all about winch internals. So I see it as no different than paying to go to school. Then I can fix it if I have future issues.

The synthetic rope will cost more than the winch when I'm done.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJim and Zorba
Looks like an M8000 to me. I paid $300 for mine, and had to go through it, but only had to replace some very minor parts. I purchased the TRE synthetic rope and thimble - and yea, it cost almost as much as the winch!

Reactions: Modoc Guy and TJim
Looks like an M8000 to me. I paid $300 for mine, and had to go through it, but only had to replace some very minor parts. I purchased the TRE synthetic rope and thimble - and yea, it cost almost as much as the winch!
I think he claims he is a 9.500 lbs winch, so I don't think it's M8000.

I asked him to check if he can find the Serial Number by the handle, because he told he doesn't which model it is.
He claims it is working and that there is nothing wrong, but I am a noob as far as winches go, so I don't really know what to check.

I think he claims he is a 9.500 lbs winch, so I don't think it's M8000.

I asked him to check if he can find the Serial Number by the handle, because he told he doesn't which model it is.
He claims it is working and that there is nothing wrong, but I am a noob as far as winches go, so I don't really know what to check.
That would be correct if its a 9,500 rated winch. Have him demonstrate it for you.

its around 350, but I think I can get it even lower.

You have to consider that I am not in USA, so the prices for Warn winches are even higher over here

Overseas might make it more difficult to source parts. If it works I'd buy it for that. Run it with jumper cables from your battery to be sure.

My serial number looks like this. But right side up.
20210401_171408.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
its around 350, but I think I can get it even lower.

You have to consider that I am not in USA, so the prices for Warn winches are even higher over here
Try to get it as lower you can. If motor is ok repair is not that hard, the solenoid pack you may found is more like the new style anyway. Source Parts for you maybe another issue.
You can test using jumper cables. If runs called a #win

Reactions: Modoc Guy
If you can see it run, and it’s not crunching and making terrible noises, I’d take a chance on it. Especially if it’s under $300.

Keep in mind that it’s gear reduction will have some noise to it, but no crunching or difficulty changing gears.

And as long as that steel cable is good, run it. Put plastic on it when it’s needed. Save your money till then.

Its 26626 model number indicates it's an XD9000i, though that is clearly an early version of the XD9000i. I'd wave $250 in cash in front of him while pointing out it's old and in need of work (maybe not in reality). Warn still stocks all the parts for it so it'd be a good winch to have.

Reactions: TJim and Zorba