Which Warn winch?

Tjnineseven

Hi,
I've been looking at putting a winch on my Jeep (97 4.0L).
I've come across 3 second hand winches at basically the same price but don't know which one to go for.

Warn VR EVO 10S, the xd9000 or xp 9.5

Main use would be pulling the jeep out of mud. Wouldn't be used for anything too strenuous and hopefully not needed to be used all too often.

 cheers

Recommended requirements by Warn are pull weight of 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. Many get an M8000 for our TJ’s, but any of those you mentioned will do.

I have an XD9000i and am very happy, but @Blackjack is the in house resident who used to work for Warn. He’ll be able to tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I believe the 9.5xp has the largest hp motor Warn offers and the fastest line pull.

Last edited:
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Recommended requirements by Warn are pull weight of 1.5x the weight of the vehicle. Many get an M8000 for our TJ’s, but any of those you mentioned will do.

I have an XD9000 and am very happy, but @Blackjack is the in house resident who used to work for Warn. He’ll be able to tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I believe the 9.5xp has the largest hp motor Warn offers and the fastest line pull.

JMT is correct that an M8000 is more than adequate for most folks usage.

The VR Evo is Warns entry level winch and while I liked the Gen 2 VRs, I am not the biggest fan of the EVOs.

The XD9000 is a step up from the M8000 in performance and my personal preference is the non I version because you can use a contactor, but the I version for most has the better aesthetics.

The 9.5xp is an absolute horse of a winch. The 6hp motor gives the winch exceptional pulling power and run time. It actually pulls closer to 11k and is my choice for those that know they are going to be participating in a winch fest when they go out.

JMT is correct that an M8000 is more than adequate for most folks usage.

The VR Evo is Warns entry level winch and while I liked the Gen 2 VRs, I am not the biggest fan of the EVOs.

The XD9000 is a step up from the M8000 in performance and my personal preference is the non I version because you can use a contactor, but the I version for most has the better aesthetics.

The 9.5xp is an absolute horse of a winch. The 6hp motor gives the winch exceptional pulling power and run time. It actually pulls closer to 11k and is my choice for those that know they are going to be participating in a winch fest when they go out.

Thanks. Was leaning towards the xd but both seem good options. Was thinking of changing them to synthetic rope as well, from what I've read that should be fine? And mounting on the stock bumper is fine with a winch plate

Reactions: JMT
Thanks. Was leaning towards the xd but both seem good options. Was thinking of changing them to synthetic rope as well, from what I've read that should be fine? And mounting on the stock bumper is fine with a winch plate

Synthetic is always a good choice as long as you take care of it. Buy the steel line version of whichever winch you want and sell the wire rope and roller and you can almost get enough from that for a rope and fairlead from the Wizard. Also make sure to spend the money and get a quality winch mount. I am not going to tell you it is a must to buy the Warn one, but take a good look at it and compare the other mounts out there and you will quickly see that most cut some serious corners in their construction.

Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
https://www.warn.com/95xp-winch-68500

Don't be in a big hurry to go to synthetic line, use it for a while. See how much you use it. Also if used some, may want to take apart and grease and check over. Easy to do, plenty of videos.

Not an expert, Blackjack is that guy; do have a few Warn winches (just three 8274's) though, hard to pass up a deal !!

XD9K stats below; compare with XP9.5 above

1703033607804.png

Last edited:
Reactions: John Cooper
Reactions: Desert Roamer
Broke my M8000 a couple of times. Nice that Portland and Warn is a two hour drive north.

Eventually put the M8000 on my wife's JK and stepped up to a 9.5 XP. It's been good to me. Built my shop using it to hoist the walls.

IMG20231004134752.jpg

4wd 24-7 swears by Runvas down there...they any good and do you have any first hand experience...much as I like Warni also like companies close enough I can throw stuff at.

-Mac

Broke my M8000 a couple of times. Nice that Portland and Warn is a two hour drive north.

Eventually put the M8000 on my wife's JK and stepped up to a 9.5 XP. It's been good to me. Built my shop using it to hoist the walls.

View attachment 483764

4wd 24-7 swears by Runvas down there...they any good and do you have any first hand experience...much as I like Warni also like companies close enough I can throw stuff at.

-Mac

What caused your m8000 to fail ? I got a brand new one for 200 bucks cause the solenoid box was cracked but in it is fine ?
Ive heard about the solenoids failing and people going with a giggle pin unit made from Albright (finding out mines came with that unit ) or a newer Vr solenoid box
Id like to know since ill be rocking that new winch with some synthetic line once savvy can stock their front bumpers or buy something different after i give up after waiting for a bit over an year 😆

I burned up three motors.

Here's one of the times...this is episode 3...start from 1 if you want all the action.

View attachment 483767

-Mac

Oh god no.......iv'e felt so hopeless before with no winch when iv'e rock crawled and getting hi-centered but not to fear there's plenty of rocks to stack up :D
I'd feel even more betrayed and hopeless if my only hope would be my winch and it not working . Luckily i dont wheel in snow so i wouldn't worry?..... as much......but still, Maybe after i somehow burn my M8000 ill go with something better !
Also nice Tj from what i saw on your vid !
How are the Km3's treating ya after that whole deal apart from the snow ?

How are the Km3's treating ya after that whole deal apart from the snow ?

Love em. Had 33 KO2s went to 35 KM3s and absolutely love em.

Yeah that trip was nuts. Drove out in the snow...pushed it around one corner too far. Started turning around...debeaded a tire...got that fixed, turned around...got a good run and turtled...hooked up the winch and click click nobody home. Between about 1 pm and 11 pm I dug myself out of three complete turtles. My wife came up and her ZXR 9500 was dead. Was a glorious clusterfuck of a day.

Drove up two weeks later and all the snow was gone.

-Mac

• Wow
Reactions: D's Jeep Wrld
Love em. Had 33 KO2s went to 35 KM3s and absolutely love em.

Yeah that trip was nuts. Drove out in the snow...pushed it around one corner too far. Started turning around...debeaded a tire...got that fixed, turned around...got a good run and turtled...hooked up the winch and click click nobody home. Between about 1 pm and 11 pm I dug myself out of three complete turtles. My wife came up and her ZXR 9500 was dead. Was a glorious clusterfuck of a day.

Drove up two weeks later and all the snow was gone.

-Mac
Was a glorious clusterfuck of a day.

-Mac
yeah no,glorious clusterfuck indeed😅

Reactions: macleanflood
So a little inside baseball about the 9.5xp. When Warn first put the 6 hp motor on the xd9000 frame it pulled 11,000 lbs in testing. This put Warn in a spot as at the time they were adamant that they would not produce a mid frame that pulled over 10k like what was happening with some of their competitors. The other thing if you look at the performance specs you can definitely see that they cherry picked them. Most of the time winches were rated at their maximum pull even if that meant the winch was only pulling 1-1.5 ft/min. So this gave Warn both an out by not selling a 10k plus winch and best full pull line speed of any mid frame winch at the time. This was also how my 8274 build became known as the 8.7ak now that Warn let the cat out of the bag that putting the 6 hp motor on the 8274 gives you 10k pull. It was an inside joke for a handful of us that knew the real story behind the 9.5xp.

1703268057765.png

Last edited:
So a little inside baseball about the 9.5xp. When Warn first put the 6 hp motor on the xd9000 frame it pulled 11,000 lbs in testing. This put Warn in a spot as at the time they were adamant that they would not produce a mid frame that pulled over 10k like what was happening with some of their competitors. The other thing if you look at the performance specs you can definitely see that they cherry picked them. Most of the time winches were rated at their maximum pull even if that meant the winch was only pulling 1-1.5 ft/min. So this gave Warn both an out by not selling a 10k plus winch and best full pull line speed of any mid frame winch at the time. This was also how my 8274 build became known as the 8.7ak now that Warn let the cat out of the bag that putting the 6 hp motor on the 8274 gives you 10k pull. It was an inside joke for a handful of us that knew the real story behind the 9.5xp.

View attachment 484462

Can't wait to try mine out... Going to really enjoy having that little extra pulling power.

Reactions: Blackjack

I have an XD9000i and am very happy, but @Blackjack is the in house resident who used to work for Warn. He’ll be able to tell you the advantages and disadvantages of each.