Whirl like noise accelerating / decelerating / driving 04 TJ

Matthew

Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my TJ that I cannot seem to figure it. It just started yesterday. There is a whirl/winding type noise whenever I accelerate or decelerate. It is present when driving but mellows out. It’s doesnt mater if clutch is engaged or disengaged. Also, Rpms doesn’t change the sound either. Please let me know if you have any advice..

NOTE: no play in the front yoke

Here is the link to the video:

Thanks for the help

Thats a very interesting noise. Does sound like a bearing in the axle, like Jerry said. Just out of curiosity, does it do the same thing in 4 wheel drive? Does it get any worse in 4 wheel drive?

Thats a very interesting noise. Does sound like a bearing in the axle, like Jerry said. Just out of curiosity, does it do the same thing in 4 wheel drive?

What confuses me is that the jeep isn't engine braking when the clutch is pushed in (pretty much coasting). You aren't accelerating or decelerating (at least very much) when the clutch is pushed in. So does it do it while coasting? What about in neutral?

Do you think an axle shaft bearing or a bearing in the diff?

The noise doesn’t change in 4 hi or 4 low.

The noise is still present in neutral and while coasting. It does get louder around 25mph when I am applying the brakes. (Slowing to a stop)

Do you think an axle shaft bearing or a bearing in the diff?

The noise doesn’t change in 4 hi or 4 low.

The noise is still present in neutral and while coasting. It does get louder around 25mph when I am applying the brakes. (Slowing to a stop)

Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to answer this better so don't take this as fact.

If I had to guess it would be in the diff, just because of the forces on the gears when you're engine braking (Do the same forces still apply when using regular brakes? I think they do, not sure). It doesn't really sound like a wheel bearing and I can't see how a wheel bearing would act up when decelerating (but i could be wrong about that).

Someone more knowledgable than me should be able to answer this better so don't take this as fact.

If I had to guess it would be in the diff, just because of the forces on the gears when you're engine braking (Do the same forces still apply when using regular brakes? I think they do, not sure). It doesn't really sound like a wheel bearing and I can't see how a wheel bearing would act up when decelerating (but i could be wrong about that).

Thanks for the info brother, I appreciate the help.

I changed the outer pinion bearing about 2 weeks ago (maybe 300 - 400 Miles) but I doubt that it is faulty because there is no play in my yoke...

Maybe I over torqued the nut and put too much load on the pinion and gear..

(Torqued to 180ft lbs and checked for play) note I did not change the crush sleeve.

Normally I would say that's just the sound of the mud terrain tires, but I'm assuming these aren't new tires?

It sure sounds to me like it's whining coming from the diff(s).

Normally I would say that's just the sound of the mud terrain tires, but I'm assuming these aren't new tires?

It sure sounds to me like it's whining coming from the diff(s).

It sounds like knobby tires to me too but These aren’t new.

Ok I’ll tear the cover off and take a look inside. Hopefully if it’s coming from the diff I’ll be able to see some wear. It’s wierd, didn’t have any noise driving to work, then once Im leaving the parking lot, the noise is there...

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, I think that's what I would do. Take off both diff covers and inspect them. My buddy had his diff go bad on his TJ and it started out like this, but then it progressively got louder the more miles he put on it. But it was a whine, and it was easy to tell from being in the vehicle that it was constant with RPM.

Usually with bad bearings, they squeak off-and-on, and usually aren't consistently noisy (unless they are really toast).

Take a look at this video. Seems to be a similar noise.

It does sounds a lot like mine...

I pulled the diff cover off and here’s what it looks like:

Doesn’t look too bad to me but there were a lot of shavings. Not sure if they are from the previous pinion bearing though

CC80AE3E-3B42-48BC-AA1D-66BAD7944771.jpeg

Ok so I may have narrowed it down, can you guys look at these videos for me...if you check out the passenger side, there is a lot of movement where as the drive side has none. Thoughts?

Thanks a lot guys.

Looks like you do indeed need some new u-joints. Get the Spicer 5-760x as @lxxtsy mentioned, it's an upgrade.

The diff looks fine to me though, so maybe this is sound from the u-joints.

Looks like you do indeed need some new u-joints. Get the Spicer 5-760x as @lxxtsy mentioned, it's an upgrade.

The diff looks fine to me though, so maybe this is sound from the u-joints.

Ok thanks..I will order some and swap them out this week...hopefully that’ll fix the issue.

I appreciate all the help, I’ll keep this updated if it fixes my problem.