Whistling as I take off from a dead stop

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
Today I noticed a faint whistling coming from under my TJ when I begin to accelerate. It’s only as I start from sitting still, and I can hear it until about 15 mph. I had a similar sound coming from the rear, and I replaced the u-joints in the rear drive shaft and it went away. In the rear shaft, I also heard a lot of creaking when I went in reverse AND I could hear the whistle when I stopped giving it gas at higher speeds (40-50mph). I do NOT hear any creaking in this instance going in reverse, nor do I hear any whistling when I let off the gas.

I only hear it as I apply gas and release the clutch, and it only seems to be as the rpm’s are higher (like taking off on a hill/slope). If I baby it on the takeoff then I don’t hear anything. I also do not hear the whistling when I let off of the gas at higher speeds.

I’ve got a wheeling trip coming up this weekend (just some light stuff about 40 miles from my house). I called a couple of shops in town and they both told me they wouldn’t replace the fronts because of the dual cardan. They said i would need to take it to a machine shop.

Bumping this up for some fresh eyes. I messed around some in the street in front of the house. I still hear the whistle intermittently on takeoff for a small period of time. I popped it in 4H and didn’t hear it at all on takeoff…. Moving it around in the driveway/garage, I couldn’t hear it, but taking off like I would at a stop sign under normal driving, I can hear it.

I ordered all of the ujoints for the front shaft, and a new socket yoke. Hoping to tackle it on Thursday morning.

Reactions: glowell222
Bumping this up for some fresh eyes. I messed around some in the street in front of the house. I still hear the whistle intermittently on takeoff for a small period of time. I popped it in 4H and didn’t hear it at all on takeoff…. Moving it around in the driveway/garage, I couldn’t hear it, but taking off like I would at a stop sign under normal driving, I can hear it.

I ordered all of the ujoints for the front shaft, and a new socket yoke. Hoping to tackle it on Thursday morning.

How did it turn out?