Whistling Noise While Off Gas & Creaking in Reverse

Breto31

TJ Enthusiast
Over the last day or so I've noticed some whistling/creaking coming from what I assume is somewhere in the drivetrain. I've got 2 different scenarios below - they may be related, they may not be. I'm thinking it's the drivetrain because the rate of noise increases as the speed increases. In other words, the whistling/creaking becomes faster and my speed increases.

While driving, I've noticed that if I down shift or let off the gas while driving (clutch not engaged), I am getting a fairly audible whistling sound coming from under the jeep. If I engage the clutch, it goes away, but as soon as I disengage the clutch (like in a downshift situation), it comes back - I can press and release the clutch and it clearly is only happening when the clutch is not engaged. It does NOT do it while accelerating, so when I apply gas, the whistling stops. It appears to be at lower speeds in 1st/2nd gear - or at least that's the only time I can hear it due to road/wind noise.

EDIT: It's worth noting, I just sat in my driveway with the Jeep running. Out of gear, clutch disengaged, gas applied - no whistle. Engaged clutch, gave it gas - no whistle. I pulled the Jeep in the garage (obviously at a very low speed) - no whistle. it seems to only be when I'm actually driving, and I downshift or let off the gas while in gear.

Maybe related, maybe not - but before the whistling noise was heard this morning, I had been hearing a creaking noise coming from what I thought was the drivetrain for the last few days. It's only in reverse, and it is different than the sound mentioned above. It's a creaking noise that kind of sounds like an old metal frame bed or something. The rate of creaking increases as my speed increases - so as my reverse speed goes up, the creak gets faster. I have to assume they're related, but I find it odd that the noises would be totally different.

I know it's not my serpentine belt - I replaced that last year, and this sounds completely different than a bad belt. This seems to be coming from under the Jeep.

Last edited: