Why are most Jeep dealerships living in the past for parts selling?

Yeah the ones close to me out here are the same way.

When I used to do Bimmers out east there was one dealership that was just a parts powerhouse. Whoever was running that parts dept turned it into a great operation - it almost rivaled Pelican Autoparts which is one of the online go-tos for Bimmer nerds. I've always wondered why more franchises don't make an attempt to grow like that.
The why is probably like my local dealerships. Really, you don't stock plugs, thermostats, thermostat gaskets, and coolant for the 4.0?
They have had to order everything in from the LA warehouse for me and I've bought 1000's of dollars worth of parts there.

I definitely get that verifying price is hard. Usually, I tell them the price plus shipping. However, it doesn't seem to matter. Like a dummy, I continue trying. Maybe, since I drive a 4.0L with a 42RLE, I just like a challenge! :)
My wife reminds me of this on a regular basis, can’t win a fight against stupid.

• Haha
Reactions: Irun
When my computer went out on my 2005 TJ the dealership had troubles finding a new one. After a couple weeks I went back in asking for a update and was told my vehicle is “14 years old so parts aren’t easy to find”. I told them no way I would buy a new $40k Jeep off their lot if in 14 years they wouldn’t be able to provide parts for it either. Ran into the same crap when the OPDA went out. If it wasn’t for this forum I would have had to sell my Jeep as non running and took a huge loss on it.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Irun
Our local dealership offers our club price discounts, but I buy most of my parts through the local custom shop. I like to support local business also and they always do their best to match or beat internet prices for club members if they can. It if is a close call, I always buy local.

Reactions: Irun
I'm getting more and more to where I just order stuff. When I go to an autoparts store, and the response is, "I can order it for you" I always tell them, "I can order it for myself and save an extra trip." I expect a brick and mortar shop to actually have some inventory of parts. Lately, that seems to be a big ask...
Same here. I am willing to pay more at an auto parts store for the convenience. If I am in the middle of working on something, and need just one more part to finish the job, I'll glad pay more just to finish.

Reactions: Irun and Zorba
I was a dealership tech for 15 years. Anymore they’re all owned by large companies and don’t give 2 shits about you OR their employees.
The exception are the rare family/locally owned ones. But they’re all getting bought out by the biggies.

Reactions: qslim and Irun