Why does my TJ ride like a tank?

17 inch front spring sprung length with winch on front bumper. I’m not sure but there may also be a spacer on top. No body lift pucks. I believe that’s a 5 inch suspension lift, more if there is a spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you still going to lower it down some, or have you decided to keep it at that height after your Moab experiences?

Are you still going to lower it down some, or have you decided to keep it at that height after your Moab experiences?

To be honest I’m kind of torn. As it is now it really works well in the rocks. Im very impressed with how smooth and quiet the suspension works through out it flex range. I will be 65 in a few weeks and getting in and out of it every day is only going to become more difficult. Im also a bit concerned i might screw things up and regret messing with it. I will probably make the decision after I address the tire/ wheel issue.

To be honest I’m kind of torn. As it is now it really works well in the rocks. Im very impressed with how smooth and quiet the suspension works through out it flex range. I will be 65 in a few weeks and getting in and out of it every day is only going to become more difficult. Im also a bit concerned i might screw things up and regret messing with it. I will probably make the decision after I address the tire/ wheel issue.

Just some food for thought, the operating angles on your arms might be adding to the harsher ride quality as well. If you do indeed have RE arms, then they probably have an X-flex joint at one end and a poly joint at the other. That, combined with a solid arm and a steeper operating angle might contribute to some added harshness. I truly hope the tire change to a "C" tire helps matters for you, but if it doesn't, or helps less than you were hoping, then you might want to consider lowering it a bit. If the tire change makes it right for you, then rock on my friend!

Just some food for thought, the operating angles on your arms might be adding to the harsher ride quality as well. If you do indeed have RE arms, then they probably have an X-flex joint at one end and a poly joint at the other. That, combined with a solid arm and a steeper operating angle might contribute to some added harshness. I truly hope the tire change to a "C" tire helps matters for you, but if it doesn't, or helps less than you were hoping, then you might want to consider lowering it a bit. If the tire change makes it right for you, then rock on my friend!

There are not poly joints on these arms. When the caster was adjusted I got a good look at the adjustable arms on the bench. Thanks for the ideas.

That also made me smile. It Is that simple, when it comes to a 3500 pound Jeep. Yes there are some variables in tire designs, but I have talked with several people who have made a career out of matching tires to vehicles for longevity and performance, and every tire professional I spoke with said E rated tires on a Jeep will not give you the optimal ride or wear. Before you say it Blaine we all know you think that you are the only true professional in any shop that should be listened to.

I did not say that any E rated tire would give you the optimal ride quality you are after. What you can reasonably infer from what I said is just because you are tossing on a C rated tire with an obvious expectation, don't be surprised if you don't get it because the load rating does not dictate ride quality.

As to the rest of your bullshit, I don't think that at all and I deal with professionals daily who do automotive things for a living that don't know shit about Jeeps and request assistance. Until you own one, drive it, work on it to solve a problem, a specific problem, what you think you know will generally not transfer straight over not to mention that there are very few solid axle vehicles dealt with by most.

Don't believe that, haul your ass down to your local professional alignment shop with your lifted TJ on 35's and try to get an alignment done. I've had more than one owner call me and ask about cam bolts for the lower front axle because their alignment shop couldn't get the caster dialed in while fully overlooking double adjustable control arms.

Just some food for thought, the operating angles on your arms might be adding to the harsher ride quality as well.
At reasonable lift heights, that is the #1 myth about TJ suspensions. We've tested it frontward, forward, backward and sideways and under 5" of lift, no one and I mean no one can tell the difference in ride due to arm angle.

If you do indeed have RE arms, then they probably have an X-flex joint at one end and a poly joint at the other. That, combined with a solid arm and a steeper operating angle might contribute to some added harshness. I truly hope the tire change to a "C" tire helps matters for you, but if it doesn't, or helps less than you were hoping, then you might want to consider lowering it a bit. If the tire change makes it right for you, then rock on my friend!

Probably not arms and angles.

At reasonable lift heights, that is the #1 myth about TJ suspensions. We've tested it frontward, forward, backward and sideways and under 5" of lift, no one and I mean no one can tell the difference in ride due to arm angle.

Probably not arms and angles.
X2 which is why the claims of long arm suspension lift manufacturers like Rough Country etc. claim you need a long arm suspension to "smooth out the ride" are bogus. Arm angles are not even close to being steep enough to cause a stiff ride with any commonly installed suspension lift height. I had no no noticeable ride differences before, during or after my long-arm installation was history.

Reactions: Chris
Hopefully Jerry will step back into this thread and let folks know how his test drive went on the TJ Unlimited we just finished went. He brought his pan by so I could tune up his bung hole and I tossed him the keys to the rig so he can again see what we do. Spoiler alert- it has load range E tires on it. ;)

Reactions: KMG
Hopefully Jerry will step back into this thread and let folks know how his test drive went on the TJ Unlimited we just finished went. He brought his pan by so I could tune up his bung hole and I tossed him the keys to the rig so he can again see what we do. Spoiler alert- it has load range E tires on it. ;)

Isn’t that a heavier TJ? Mine rides much better with 4 adults in it. E rated tires perform better with more weight.

Yes, I want to know if Jerry can be made to believe that E rated tires can possibly ride good... I'm waiting to hear Jerry's impressions!

You've placed me in an awkward position Blaine. You had just completed installing a new Savvy mid-arm suspension with high-end reservoir shocks into the Unlimited so I climbed in expecting that same great handling & ride I experienced when test driving one of your early mid-arm installations. It did not disappoint & as I said, I'd love to have one in my TJ. When I win the lottery....

As I told you after getting back, it of course handled great & had an overall ride that would put a new Jeep to shame. I did however notice, to myself, that it was a bit stiff on some sections of road which I just attributed to the new shocks. Now that I know, perhaps a contributing factor was the LR E tires, I don't know since my butt is not able to tell the difference in slightly stiffer tires vs. slightly stiffer shocks when both are present at the same time. I completely agree it handled great, of course, and its ride quality was definitely excellent. So I will say it rode well enough that I'd swap that entire suspension with what I own now. Would I like it even more with my present LR C MT/R tires? I'm guessing/assuming I would.

Something else I learned from you today about tires is how it is nearly impossible for tire manufacturers to predict or design in a certain ride quality. I thought by now they'd be able to dial in pretty much any ride they wanted by now. Nope, it's apparently as much art as it is science. Cool you also had that tire discussion with Walker Evans. One of the nicest gentlemen I've ever had the pleasure of talking with. He has that unique quality of treating complete strangers he meets like old friends.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and KMG
You've placed me in an awkward position Blaine. You had just completed installing a new Savvy mid-arm suspension with high-end reservoir shocks into the Unlimited so I climbed in expecting that same great handling & ride I experienced when test driving one of your early mid-arm installations. It did not disappoint & as I said, I'd love to have one in my TJ. When I win the lottery....

As I told you after getting back, it of course handled great & had an overall ride that would put a new Jeep to shame. I did however notice, to myself, that it was a bit stiff on some sections of road which I just attributed to the new shocks. Now that I know, perhaps a contributing factor was the LR E tires, I don't know since my butt is not able to tell the difference in slightly stiffer tires vs. slightly stiffer shocks when both are present at the same time. I completely agree it handled great, of course, and its ride quality was definitely excellent. So I will say it rode well enough that I'd swap that entire suspension with what I own now. Would I like it even more with my present LR C MT/R tires? I'm guessing/assuming I would.

Something else I learned from you today about tires is how it is nearly impossible for tire manufacturers to predict or design in a certain ride quality. I thought by now they'd be able to dial in pretty much any ride they wanted by now. Nope, it's apparently as much art as it is science. Cool you also had that tire discussion with Walker Evans. One of the nicest gentlemen I've ever had the pleasure of talking with. He has that unique quality of treating complete strangers he meets like old friends.
The slight stiffness is coming from the new shocks not being fully broken in. Takes about 500ish miles to get them working properly from new. But that said, there is nothing about the initial impressions of driving that vehicle that says it has the wrong tires on it.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Curb weight difference is 300 lbs. so heavier but not so much.

As I have mentioned before, when I put additional people in my Jeep, which as it turns out was close to 300 pounds, my Jeep rides better. This seems very obvious and predictable to me. Improve your ride by either lowering the psi, the load range or add weight.

This discussion has moved to an absurd level. The most basic understanding of the relationship between vehicle weight, psi and load rating is being thrown out the window and now it would seem it’s more important for some to be seen as “winning “ the discussion than to even address long standing technical principles on this subject. And in order to try to “win” the discussion a buddy is being brought in for support.
I know what Jerry thinks about E rated tires, he has been pretty clear on this we will see if he changes his position to help a buddy.
I’m done discussing this because it’s reached a point where there doesn’t seem to be anything left to learn.
I know what I need to do to make my Jeep ride as it should. Have fun grab assing each other I’m done with this.

No one has answered my question yet. Is a TJU heavier than a regular TJ? If so doesn’t more weight improve the ride on any tire??

This discussion has moved to an absurd level. The most basic understanding of the relationship between vehicle weight, psi and load rating is being thrown out the window and now it would seem it’s more important for some to be seen as “winning “ the discussion than to even address long standing technical principles on this subject. And in order to try to “win” the discussion a buddy is being brought in for support.
I know what Jerry thinks about E rated tires, he has been pretty clear on this we will see if he changes his position to help a buddy.
I’m done discussing this because it’s reached a point where there doesn’t seem to be anything left to learn.
I know what I need to do to make my Jeep ride as it should. Have fun grab assing each other I’m done with this.

Nobody can tell you how it should ride. Personally I thought this whole damn thing was ridiculous from the get go, but it grew legs and here we are. It’s going to be trial and error until you find the setup that works for you. Somebody else’s opinion shouldn’t mean anything because your the one sitting in the drivers seat not them? Am I the only one here that is confused by trying to get a consensus vote on how E rated tires ride lol how can there be a correct answer to this? It’s a Jeep at the end of the day not a damn Cadillac.

Reactions: KMG
There is never anything left to learn when you think you know it all. Several people have tried to explain to you that they agree there is a ride difference between tire ratings. What you have refused to learn is that a difference in ride quality doesn't translate into "better ride" or "worse ride" but rather just a different ride that people may prefer. My free advice, stop taking it personal when people don't agree with you. I'm out!

Reactions: Starrs