Why is my rear drum adjuster lever sitting so far from the gear?

Frankred

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just took off my left rear drum to apply some brake grease to fix a slight squeak. Upon reassembly, I noticed the adjuster arm/lever is sitting pretty far from the adjustment wheel. Is the tension going to pull that back upon applying the brakes or the parking brake? I have the tension wire routed alone the guide. It is too hot out there to keep messing with it... I'll check it tomorrow after a test drive.
Thanks,
John

20220726_212001.jpg

20220726_212012.jpg

I didn't get a pic of the inside of the drum, but it was smooth and shiny like it was getting good contact with the shoe, at least before I messed with it. I did get a pic of the shoe from an off angle

20220726_212105.jpg

Thanks for pointing that out! I have been busy watching some YouTube videos to see what I missed. 👍

Interesting as my Yj has the same thing going on. I figured it was due to crap brake hardware. They adjust up no problem, to the point they drag to much and I have to back them off every 5K or so.

Cable is probably stretched out a bit. From my experience the self adjust lever should be levelish just below the star wheel. If not the shoes will move out too far before the lever moves the star wheel to the next notch or in some cases not at all. New cables are the best fix, but I usually just put a few twists in the cable before hooking the end up. That usually shortens it enough to get by.

So I took my Jeep to a muffler and brake shop today. He looked around and at first, he agreed that nothing was wrong. However, he found that the metal slide that guides the adjuster cable was not seated in the pad properly. This was allowing unnecessary slack on the cable. After fixing my omission, he bled the brakes and adjusted the drums. My brakes are working better than they have worked in quite a while!

Reactions: matkal
So I took my Jeep to a muffler and brake shop today. He looked around and at first, he agreed that nothing was wrong. However, he found that the metal slide that guides the adjuster cable was not seated in the pad properly. This was allowing unnecessary slack on the cable. After fixing my omission, he bled the brakes and adjusted the drums. My brakes are working better than they have worked in quite a while!

Thanks this saved me today, such an easy thing to miss!