Why is there red paint on the frame of this Jeep?

LJtheunicorn

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Good morning all! I am currently looking at an 05 LJ with 93k miles on the clock for sale near me. It has skid row skid plate, skyjacker lift I think 2 inch, 5 rubicon wheels with brand new bfg mud terrain 33’s, had a rear main leak and was fixed by recognized shop local also has sway bar quick disconnects. I found zero rust on the thing but my only questions is why does the frame appear to have multiple layers of paint on it? Not new paint. I stuck my fingers all inside the frame and it is all paint inside no rust. This does not appear to be a cover up job as there is no paint on tub or any other hardware. Why red on a khaki Jeep?

BE5E38AB-2EC4-42BB-B971-228C3E59A8C9.jpeg

AA895FD5-D1B4-4C20-B9CC-A5EDE8242AC9.jpeg

C1CFB649-3381-437F-A2DB-0C443515DBEA.jpeg

Now that’s some weird shit. My only guess is that the frame used to be powder coated red (aftermarket) and someone painted over it with black.

Reactions: Tob
Unless that frame was swapped in, I don't know why someone would think red looks good with khaki!
That’s what brings me to this confusion. I am sold otherwise. If it doesn’t sell to the guy he is showing it to at the moment I will be going back with a bore scope to further investigate the frame and crawl all over it again. If it all checks out will most likely make a purchase.

Asking price is 18,500 to me that sounds pretty fair both ways. What about y’all?

Has recently been serviced where they did a few things and replaced the rear main seal as well as a new battery.

I would very, very thoroughly inspect that thing. It may have had a frame replacement due to rust, which means there could be rust in other places (such as the tub). That's too much money for what might be an iffy vehicle.

Also check the CarFax too.

It looks like there might be a tiny amount of rust in the first pic, right we’re the nutsert is.

Possibly a frame swap and it was painted with some kind of corrosion resistant coating or primer that happen to be red, then covered with black?

I didn’t see the price...that is high.

I paid 13k for my ‘06 Unlimited in 2016. Same miles, all stock except aftermarket hardtop, stereo and rear tube bumper.

Some rednecks up here paint accents to match their skycrapper lifts. Looks to pretty to be a frame off

Now that’s some weird shit. My only guess is that the frame used to be powder coated red (aftermarket) and someone painted over it with black.
That's a minor weird shit, the major weird shit is that rock rail step combo. That is just fucking bizarre in the pics.

Reactions: Plumber1