Why isn't Teraflex as big in the TJ community?

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
So, Teraflex put up an hour long YouTube video a few days ago about their history.

I had it on when I was doing some stuff around the garage, and got me thinking that years ago, it seemed like they were everywhere.

But it occurred to me that I never really hear their name come up around here when discussing lifts, shocks, etc.

Anyone know when they sort of fell out of vogue?

So, Teraflex put up an hour long YouTube video a few days ago about their history.

But it occurred to me that I never really hear their name come up around here when discussing lifts, shocks, etc.

Anyone know when they sort of fell out of vogue?

I notice that is how it appears to be in the US. Here in Australia it appears they are an easy company to get on your books and all of the Jeep shops carry and push Terraflex product quite hard.

I put in a Teraflex SYE a few years ago, front coils last year & rear coils this year. As a result the slip yoke has in fact been eliminated 😁 & in conjunction with the CV shaft & adjustable rear uppers so have the vibrations. The 3 inch front coils gave me 3 inches of lift up front, the 2 inch rear coils gave me 2 inches of lift in the rear & the ride is comfortable & smooth (along with Rancho shocks & 26psi). I’d say it all works as it should & although I’m not in the market for anything at this time I wouldn’t hesitate to buy more of their stuff if the need arises.

A lot of my friends and myself all started on teraflex kits back in the late 90’s and early 00’ They were decent enough kits and priced ok for their time. Some of us still have run the springs. A lot of my friends had at least something made from them in their 231’s.

My 2.5" lift is a Teraflex. I was so overwhelmed with the choices and research and just made a decision based on reviews, cost, ease of installation and something that fit my needs basically. Do i regret it? No. Would I go a different direction if I had to do it all over? Probably. This damn forum.

No doubt teraflex makes quality stuff, but the competition has always won the sale on price for me.

I figure the difference in price is for the marketing they do with their product line. Their marketing team is top notch, they put out very well done videos, very entertaining.

As Chris alluded to, they are much more popular in the JK/JL world. Seem to have quality stuff with only the real hate coming from sponsor king way of life Eddie. Other than that I haven't heard anything negative about them. Sure you'll have people with bad experiences, part of business when you're that big, unfortunately.

Got their ESSYE from my Tom Woods shaft/SYE combo, nice quality and no issues.

Also have their rear disc brake kit that came when I ordered my RJ60. It’s also holding up well.

Haven’t seen anything that wasn’t quality from them.

I got my first TJ in 2000 & they were one of the early frontrunners. They were semi-local in Utah, sponsored several crawls/ rigs, & had sweet stickers. I got their 3.5 kit & slowly upgraded stock components from other manufacturers. Ran it until I totaled out my TJ in 2009. I got back in the TJ game with a Craiglist find that has the modern Teraflex short arms & pretty stoked about it. Still dreaming of a Tera Low upgrade or at least the 2WD-low range mod. Their LCG triangulated system still makes me drool, even if there is better out there.

Reactions: Chris
Tera Low upgrade or at least the 2WD-low range mod.

You don't want that, trust me. Those things are ticking time bombs, almost in the literal sense.

Talk to Advanced Adapters about that (or anyone else). A RubiCrawler is far better, assuming you have a 42RLE.

I spoke with one of the AA engineers and he told me that that Tera Low unit was one of the most poorly designed things he's ever seen, and that he knew as soon as he first saw one that they were going to be breaking like crazy. I guess that ended up happening too, since the casualty count is high ;)

You don't want that, trust me. Those things are ticking time bombs, almost in the literal sense.

Talk to Advanced Adapters about that (or anyone else). A RubiCrawler is far better, assuming you have a 42RLE.

I spoke with one of the AA engineers and he told me that that Tera Low unit was one of the most poorly designed things he's ever seen, and that he knew as soon as he first saw one that they were going to be breaking like crazy. I guess that ended up happening too, since the casualty count is high ;)
Duly Noted. Thanks for saving me a trail meltdown. Atlas II it is. I'm stuck with the 32RH

Duly Noted. Thanks for saving me a trail meltdown. Atlas II it is. I'm stuck with the 32RH

In that case, yes, an Atlas is your best bet.

Those Tera Low units seemed cool, but apparently they didn't last long due to a poor design.

Teraflex isn't a big name in the TJ world, but they are in the JK and JL world.

TJ owners have better choices (y)
IMO, with the huge influx of new JK/JL owners, most take all their concerns straight to the local 4x4 shop. I've been told that Teraflex is recommended and sold by a lot of shops because it gives them the most profit margin. Whether it's a good product for the price, I don't have much experience with it.

I always keep my eye on Teraflex just for the reason that so far they are the only company I've been able to find that sells a lift kit for my RHD TJ.

Reactions: Apparition
IMO, with the huge influx of new JK/JL owners, most take all their concerns straight to the local 4x4 shop. I've been told that Teraflex is recommended and sold by a lot of shops because it gives them the most profit margin. Whether it's a good product for the price, I don't have much experience with it.

I think this is an interesting/valid observation. When I first bought my TJ three years ago, knowing nothing about any of this stuff, I took it straight to the top 4x4 shop in town. Their proposal included the Teraflex 3" TJ lift for $2,473, plus all the other usual stuff - Yukon regear, Detroit TT, TF Shorty SYE, Tom Woods DC, etc., to run 33s. Total ticket $7,664. Still have the proposal and refer to it from time to time. Haven't pulled the trigger on any of it three years later, except that I threw in some 2" pucks and new shocks. Still deciding on a lift . . . Lol.

But to your point, I think TF may be the shops' go-to suggestion for newbies. If there's good margin and they know they're dealing with the uneducated, it just keeps it simple for them. Especially in the big-budget bought-not-built JK/JL arena. Seems us TJ owners spend a little more time investing our own blood, sweat and tears into our rigs and end up here on this forum debating the merits of our preferred brand manufacturers, mods and build plans.