Why no chatter about strokers?

MikekiM

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Surprised to not see any discussions about 4.6 or 4.7 strokers.

I've wanted a stroker since my old 4 cylinder VW days and the itch hasn't gone away. If no other reason than for the fun. I absolutely love how my 4.0 drives but a bucket of additional low end grunt could only add to it!

Just sayin...

I have wondered myself about this, Also what would be easier? 5.3 6.0 6.2 LS motors or a stroker?

What about tunning? A LS swap fairly easy. Thats why I want to LS swap

Now that the pcm has been “cracked” guys like @Flyin' Ryan Performance can tune a Stroker as easily as an LS

I’m seriously contemplating building one. I have some other projects to clear off my plate, but that doesn’t stop me from looking for a suitable long block to build while my current engine runs well.

There's a few strokers running around on here but all of them aren't a little 4.0.... :ROFLMAO: ;)

If you're gunna stroke it ya got's to go big like 6.7 (408) for us old guys.

Reactions: RINC
I feel like way back in the day, everyone was saying that the stroked 4.0 had a lot of overheating issues... I could be wrong.

My range with a 4.0 is already crappy enough. If I'm going to that level of effort i would want to do something that didn't make the range even worse, which means a swap.

Reactions: Ocho
I'll be the bad guy and say I'm dreaming of putting a couple of Netgain 120 HP electric motors attached with yokes to the front and rear driveshaft. Fill the engine bay and tank area with batteries.

My engine is running...230k allegedly rebuilt at some point by the PO (the timing chain and oil pump say otherwise but the bearings aren't terrible.)

Also VW TDI swap to consider and a Cummins crate engine.

Stroker is probably the easiest but I want more than 13 mpg.

-Mac

I'll be the bad guy and say I'm dreaming of putting a couple of Netgain 120 HP electric motors attached with yokes to the front and rear driveshaft. Fill the engine bay and tank area with batteries.
I see a future where this project becomes a reality for me. I'm as Texan as they come, but the gov't is going to one day rain on this parade. There's a guy on the CJ forums who's been working on an EV drivetrain, I'm sure it's been attempted on a TJ as well.

I see a future where this project becomes a reality for me. I'm as Texan as they come, but the gov't is going to one day rain on this parade. There's a guy on the CJ forums who's been working on an EV drivetrain, I'm sure it's been attempted on a TJ as well.

there are clear benefits to such an arrangement, once the tech matures enough to overcome the downsides (battery life/expense/time and convenience to charge)...if that happens in our lifetimes, or ever. There's a point where every tech runs into the laws of physics and my suspicion is that is likely to happen with EV's before they are able to truly match ICE.

Reactions: Wildman
Plenty of used lithium batteries in junkyards from hybrids ready to repurpose.

Netgain motors are not expensive.

Need a controller, charger and probably can repurpose the radiator for battery cooling. Wire the batteries to the controller, wire up the motors. It's all pretty simple. Some fab work for a new cross member to hold the motors and brackets for the batteries.

I priced it out less than $10k...puts it within the cost range of a lot of swaps.

-Mac

Reactions: inkedrose