Why Off Road Clubs are Important for New Jeep or 4WD Owners

There are a bunch of them around here, honestly probably more than I could count. They are a good way to meet people with a fondness for a similar hobby. But you're right, they are not for everyone.

Thankfully I got involved with some folks who are a bit more technical and like to hit the road at 6am to beat any other group who has the same idea that day.
PM sent

I am not a member of any club, I wheel with @AndyG and @Hog and they tell me everything I need to do and help me all they can, especially when it comes to spending money :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
You all interested in getting a trip together to Hawk Pride? We can possibly get some TN, AL, and W GA members to meet up for a day of wheeling.

There are a bunch of them around here, honestly probably more than I could count. They are a good way to meet people with a fondness for a similar hobby. But you're right, they are not for everyone.

I went wheeling with a few early on. What I noticed is that most of the folks were more interested in standing around and showing off their jeep. They'd meet at the trailhead at 10 am, stand around and talk and sip coffee. By the time they were done showing off it was damn near noon before anyone began to air down and think about the trail.

Thankfully I got involved with some folks who are a bit more technical and like to hit the road at 6am to beat any other group who has the same idea that day.
Hardcore man!

There is one group here I've met that actually likes to wheel. The problem with that group is they meet once a month when I always work and the meeting is at 4wp and when we wheel they go on and on about their RE longarms telling me how much I need to get them. 🤣

The rest just like to pull there rigs all up side by side and get out and take pictures, then stand around and talk. It's so annoying. Sometimes I just drive off. I'm not there to socialize for hours. If there's a tough obstacle, I understand. We get out, help people through.

I suspect a lot of us on here are not a part of clubs because it's more social than wheelin.

That's what I like about this group going to Moab and hitting trails together. We move and if we want to talk we do so on the comms or at obstacles or over dinner. 🍻

The "thing" I was cautioned about clubs reads thus: "A beginner's trail to a Jeep club is an intermediate at best; an intermediate/moderate trail will be 'HOLY SHIT!'" I don't know how true this is, but I've heard it in a couple of places now.

There's a couple or three in my area, and I'll probably eventually reach out to one or more of them. But they apparently do all their planning and socializing on facefuck...

Reactions: Wildman
The "thing" I was cautioned about clubs reads thus: "A beginner's trail to a Jeep club is an intermediate at best; an intermediate/moderate trail will be 'HOLY SHIT!'" I don't know how true this is, but I've heard it in a couple of places now.
Think there is a lot of truth to that but it's not just clubs. Its any group of experienced risk tolerant wheelers.

I went wheeling with a few early on. What I noticed is that most of the folks were more interested in standing around and showing off their jeep. They'd meet at the trailhead at 10 am, stand around and talk and sip coffee. By the time they were done showing off it was damn near noon before anyone began to air down and think about the trail.
Pretty much this.

Nice guys. Good to chat. But too much BSing around and not enough wheeling. Especially when I have to drive an hour or two to get to the site.

Worst is when a nice group of 3 or 4 turns into a group of 8-10.

No thanks.

I went to a park with a couple “jeepers” and they were spotting each on a trail that didn’t require it. They just didn’t want to scratch or scrap.
Absolute torture.

I grew up with no internet so the only way to meet like minded people was clubs. Or stop them in a parking lot.
I started a 4WD club when I was stationed in Germany 🇩🇪 the second time. Had a lot of fun with all the people I'd met.

And I've been involved in emergency response situations where the club I was in helped with inclement weather or flooding.

Only suggestion I can give is if you have a bad experience with one try another. Finding a good fit with a club can take time sometimes.

Reactions: Zorba