Wideband O2 Sensors

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm learning about these, but don't see a lot of information here on the forum.
  • Anyone recommendations for a particular brand?
  • Any lessons learned in installing one?
  • Any pics to share of where you mounted your gauge?
———

Takeaways:
  • Autometer has many options.
  • AEM seems to be popular. Used by @Wildman and others.
  • Speedhut has many options, some of which look close to OEM. @jwilkinson01
  • @Rickyd points out that if a tune is in your future, get one compatible online tuning.
    • This requires knowing what kind of controllers your remote tuning group will work with.
    • Speedhut lets you choose compatibility with other controllers like AEM, Ballenger, etc.
    • @Wildman reminds us that you can download the HPTuners software from their website without buying anything. Software has a drop down menu for which wideband gauges they support. See here for a pic of the list.

Last edited:
NGK for the brand. Haven’t replaced mine yet they are sitting on the shelf for when the time comes. I’ve heard a socket for removal and there is a special socket for installing the new one.

What are you referring to for a gauge? To monitor the O2 sensor? I am not sure they make one. I think most get the information from a diagnostic scan tool. I use ultragauge which plugs into the OBDII port. It has about 70 gauges available. I have that placed in the driver side lower windshield area.

I ordered one from speed hut, but I haven’t installed it yet. Planning on an A pillar pod.

The reason I chose them was because I could customize it to match the factory gauges pretty closely.

NGK for the brand. Haven’t replaced mine yet they are sitting on the shelf for when the time comes. I’ve heard a socket for removal and there is a special socket for installing the new one.

What are you referring to for a gauge? To monitor the O2 sensor? I am not sure they make one. I think most get the information from a diagnostic scan tool. I use ultragauge which plugs into the OBDII port. It has about 70 gauges available. I have that placed in the driver side lower windshield area.

Are you thinking of the OEM O2 sensors? I'm talking about wide-band O2 sensors.

I ordered one from speed hut, but I haven’t installed it yet. Planning on an A pillar pod.

The reason I chose them was because I could customize it to match the factory gauges pretty closely.

I'd like that too. If you do it soon I'd enjoy seeing where you mount it and how well it matches.

I'm learning about these, but don't see a lot of information here on the forum.
  • Anyone recommendations for a particular brand?
  • Any lessons learned in installing one?
  • Any pics to share of where you mounted your gauge?

Both @NashvilleTJ & I are running the AEM wideband gauge.

https://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO-Ratio-Gauge/dp/B00N3VGPYS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Mine is mounted on the roll cage crossbar on the left and the transmission temp on the right.

AEM are easy to get hooked up and use. Make sure to follow the instructions for mounting the bung in your exhaust properly.

20230227_183214.jpg

I'd like that too. If you do it soon I'd enjoy seeing where you mount it and how well it matches.

It’s going to be a bit before I get to it but this is what I bought:

IMG_0820.jpeg

If I remember correctly most of the others I saw had digital displays and lit up like a Christmas tree. Which doesn’t integrate well (aesthetically) in my opinion.

Reactions: SSTJ
I was thinking of a gauge pod just in front of my shifter. Probably could get two spots for 1 1/8" gauges. Was thinking fuel pressure but decided to put the gauge on the rail for now.

Why are you concerned with actively monitoring your air/fuel ratio? Don't trust the PCM?

-Mac

Aeroforce Interceptor gauges were super popular in the f-body world. I almost bought one for my Z28, but sold the car (regrettably) before it happened. They're pricey, but are more than just an a/f gauge and can monitor/display many parameters. Not sure what all Jeeps they support, but figured it was worth mentioning.

Reactions: SSTJ
I was thinking of a gauge pod just in front of my shifter. Probably could get two spots for 1 1/8" gauges. Was thinking fuel pressure but decided to put the gauge on the rail for now.

I thought about that spot too. I haven't seen any 1 1/8" options for WB O2 sensors. I'll check those out. (EDIT: That sounds tiny. Did you really mean 2 1/8"?)

Why are you concerned with actively monitoring your air/fuel ratio? Don't trust the PCM?

I'm in the early stages of considering some engine mods. But that's for another thread.

Last edited:
That's a great point.

You can download the HPTuners software from their website prior to buying anything from them.

https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/

And then look in their drop down menu for which wideband gauges they offer support for.

Here's a short video of mine running and if you look at the top line on the left you'll see it's the AEM wideband gauge.

Reactions: Rickyd and SSTJ
You can download the HPTuners software from their website prior to buying anything from them.

https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/

And then look in their drop down menu for which wideband gauges they offer support for.

Here's a short video of mine running and if you look at the top line on the left you'll see it's the AEM wideband gauge.

Great, point. I'll add that to the OP.

FWIW, Isaiah at FRP tells me that if I ever tune my 97, I'll need to use SCT, not HP. I may call him back to get clarification on that.

Reactions: Rickyd and Wildman