WiFi Signal Strength

You probably have 220 VAC feeding the house, which is two out-of-phase 110V circuits. Half of the house will be on one of the 110V circuits, and half will be on the other. You have to find a pair of outlets (one in the house, one in the garage) fed by the same 110V side of the 220. In your circuit breaker box, if it has two columns of breakers, each column is one 110V phase of the 220. If you can find a breaker in the house and a breaker in the garage on the same column, those should be able to carry the signal.

I do indeed have to columns. I'll see what breakers in the house are on the same side as the plugs in my garage. I never knew this, thanks for the schooling. Its greatly appreciated.

So than would I run a cable to the garage and just have a designated router in the garage? This may be an option as my main breaker box is in the garage and there is a lot of "blue cable" run along the track. I'll have to look further into this.

Depends on what you need in the garage. If you have a single computer or other "wire capable" device, plug it in. If you have multiples, plug in a network switch and plug the devices into that. If you have something that just HAS to connect wirelessly, like many TV boxes, Alexas, and of course - PHOOOOOONNEs - then you'll need a WAP (Wireless Access Point) installed out there.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
What service with AT&T do you have? We went with att fiber about a year ago. Before we had comcast and the router was on the far end of my house. My wifi was spotty in the backyard/porch area. I had att run the cable into the laundry room because it's in the middle of the house, downstairs so he ran the cable under the house and into the wall, and it wouldn't bother anyone with the lights blinking.

Later we switched to ATT phones through costco and with all bundles and discounts we are paying about $60 per month for gigabit speed, just for the internet not phones.

What service with AT&T do you have? We went with att fiber about a year ago. Before we had comcast and the router was on the far end of my house. My wifi was spotty in the backyard/porch area. I had att run the cable into the laundry room because it's in the middle of the house, downstairs so he ran the cable under the house and into the wall, and it wouldn't bother anyone with the lights blinking.

Later we switched to ATT phones through costco and with all bundles and discounts we are paying about $60 per month for gigabit speed, just for the internet not phones.

Honestly I have no clue. Its been probably three years since I've looked at it. I believe our plan is for either 300 or 500Mbps. All I know is over Wifi I can typically get 250ish Mbps regardless of the time of day. Through cable that speed varies. Its typically at least 350-400Mbps. However late at night/early morning it will reach upwards of 800Mbps. Now that you've called it to my attention I'm going to call them and see about maybe lowering my bill and seeing if they have a "cheap/free" solution.

We had 50 MBaud service with AT&T, they recently upgraded us to 300 MBaud fiber "at the same cost". I'd like 10 or 20 for $20/mo, but can't get it. Years back we had BrightHouse - before horrid Spectrum bought them out - we had 5 for $15/mo - and that was just fine for us.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
Utility feeds are 120/240 VAC to the house gentlemen
https://www.hunker.com/12490790/110-volt-vs-120-volt

What you get at the panel Vs the outlet theres some attenuation loss, but those are 120V phases

As for the problem the OP has….yes walls/obstructions impede line of sight signal reception. Nothing is better then a hardline, period. However, thats work….trenching, pipe, hardline, and most dont wanna do that. You can try a signal booster, but hardline is best

Reactions: Zorba