Wild Boar grab bars

I ended up starting to install the passenger side this evening while working on another project. I have the aluminum grab bars and there is some flex to it but is overall solid. Getting in the Jeep is much nicer with that's solid bar and the location it is in compared to the strap on the roll bar.
The biggest issue with installing them is the plastic trim the goes down the side of the windshield. If you want to keep that like I do, it takes a bit of work to cut it down to fit around the grab bar nicely. In the short amount of time I have used the bar, I would say this is one of those mods that you immediately notice and can appreciate. My Jeep is high enough that getting in can be a hassle and these make a difference. They also give you something else to hold onto. They are cheap enough that if for some reason you do not like them, you are not out a large amount of cash (not that I like to throw away any money, $20 is still something I would rather have in my pocket).

Last edited:
Both sides installed, first one took a while to get the trim cut well enough around the bar but then made a template to make the other side install really quick. I ended up putting old motocross grips on the grab bars and actually like them better, it is a familiar feel and they do not rotate as much as the wild boar ones do.

IMG-0748.JPG

IMG-0765.JPG

My set will be here tomorrow. Had surgery on left arm so looking forward to having a better handle to get in.

I like that style , but my knee jerk reaction is wear a seat belt if you run them...seems they could Impale an eye socket in a wreck. That’s just my gut...not a fact.

I like that style , but my knee jerk reaction is wear a seat belt if you run them...seems they could Impale an eye socket in a wreck. That’s just my gut...not a fact.

Without a seatbelt you are going to have other issues before impaling yourself on these (could happen though I guess). With a seatbelt on they are pretty far away. Pictures make them look closer than they really are.

DC4A5DB7-F4AB-430D-83DC-EF89F63CD876.jpeg

362AB0C8-B483-4462-AD8C-3BBF8880493E.jpeg

Reactions: mikespine
I ordered some from Amazon, they are sturdy. I did have to cut the trim as well, and mine say angry birds instead of wild boar like it showed in the picture, but some athletic grip tape fixed that.

Mine did not come with instructions. What measurements did you use to drill the hole?
I think you can download the measurements from the Grab Bars brand website or where they are selling them on Amazon. Same measurements regardless of brand I would think. After installation I had a HORRIBLE squeaking because my measurement was not perfect and had to take the trim back out and dremel the hole. No problem though, the hole is on the bottom side of the trim and not really noticeable.

I just took the plastic trim off all together before installing mine, looks fine without it on there IMO.

Reactions: BigWheel88
Hmm. Then I'm confused about what you removed and why. The door seal trim does serve a real purpose. And none of it interferes with the grab handles. I'm the weirdo that converted the late TJ surround to the earlier minimal trim and visors. So I'm familiar how both fit with with these handles.

Then I'm confused about what you removed and wh

look at the extreme terrain link i posted above. scroll down to the "TJ 2004-2006 GraBars Installation Supplement" part. That plastic trim is what I removed since I did not want to bother drilling a hole through it for the grab bar. TJs prior to 2003 did not have this.

( I'm pretty sure in 2003 only Rubicons had it. For 2004-6 all models had it I think)

look at the extreme terrain link i posted above. scroll down to the "TJ 2004-2006 GraBars Installation Supplement" part. That plastic trim is what I removed since I did not want to bother drilling a hole through it for the grab bar. TJs prior to 2003 did not have this.

Yes. You removed the A-pillar trim look a late-TJ windshield surround, leaving the upper horizontal trim. The door seal trim is missing, now. And I don't recall the visor being able to be attached separately from the trim without sitting funny.

20180511_183159.jpg

20180511_183144.jpg

( I'm pretty sure in 2003 only Rubicons had it. For 2004-6 all models had it I think)

All 2003+ TJs had the full surround. Rubicons weren't that special.

Reactions: TJDaveX