Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

So I pulled the tire & wheel back off and then took AR arm off and bent the end a little so the heim would clear the tire.

View attachment 317274

View attachment 317275

It's hard to get a picture but the heim clears good now.

View attachment 317276

View attachment 317277

View attachment 317278

Now that I'm sure everything clears properly on both sides I started taking everything back apart so I can start to do the final welding.

View attachment 317279

Got the lower mounts disconnected on the shocks.

View attachment 317280

I'll finish taking things apart tomorrow and then work on the final welding of the AR mounts. I think/hope I'm to the point where I can do the welding and then start painting. I'd really like to start putting this back together for the final time. It sure takes a lot of time to flex everything and make sure things clear.
Any potential clearance issues when the tire is deflated, running trail pressure, and pushed to full bump?

Reactions: Wildman
Any potential clearance issues when the tire is deflated, running trail pressure, and pushed to full bump?

Damn I knew I'd forgotten something. Guess I'll connect everything back up tomorrow and deflate the tires and see what happens. I can cut the links a little shorter too which would give me a LOT more clearance.

These pictures are with the shocks at the middle of travel so 6" of shaft showing. So I could easily make the links 1" shorter.

20220321_135034.jpg

Right now the link is threaded into the heim as far as it will go.

20220321_135055.jpg

Damn I knew I'd forgotten something. Guess I'll connect everything back up tomorrow and deflate the tires and see what happens. I can cut the links a little shorter too which would give me a LOT more clearance.

These pictures are with the shocks at the middle of travel so 6" of shaft showing. So I could easily make the links 1" shorter.

View attachment 317297

Right now the link is threaded into the heim as far as it will go.

View attachment 317298
About the only time I could think of that being deflated would move the tire closer to the link would be in an off camber situation where the whole tire casing is shifted over as the rim tries to push out of the tire on the down hill side. Just sitting static I don't think you'll have any less clearance than inflated.

1647909983962.png

About the only time I could think of that being deflated would move the tire closer to the link would be in an off camber situation where the whole tire casing is shifted over as the rim tries to push out of the tire on the down hill side.

View attachment 317302
That's almost exactly the scenario I was thinking. In my head I'm picturing the wheel being pushed up to bump, over a rock or obstacle, and off camber. I don't know if it's a real issue, but better to verify now before an expensive tire gets shredded. :unsure:

About the only time I could think of that being deflated would move the tire closer to the link would be in an off camber situation where the whole tire casing is shifted over as the rim tries to push out of the tire on the down hill side.

View attachment 317302

As you deflate the tire don't they bulge out? I'm not sure how much I'll be able to tell since I don't have weight on the tires though.

As you deflate the tire don't they bulge out? I'm not sure how much I'll be able to tell since I don't have weight on the tires though.
It should only bulge on the bottom when weight is on it, if anything the sidewalls will get narrower at the top as it deflates.

That's almost exactly the scenario I was thinking. In my head I'm picturing the wheel being pushed up to bump, over a rock or obstacle, and off camber. I don't know if it's a real issue, but better to verify now before an expensive tire gets shredded. :unsure:

I would THINK and god knows how dangerous that is... ;) that there wouldn't be enough pressure to cause damage. It's like the top of the tire rubbing on the shock or shock mount at full flex. And then I'd ask HOW am I going to check this? I can't exactly push the top of the tire over.

It should only bulge on the bottom when weight is on it, if anything the sidewalls will get narrower as it deflates.
DUH :rolleyes: See I get thinking about shit and go down the rabbit hole..

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I would THINK and god knows how dangerous that is... ;) that there wouldn't be enough pressure to cause damage. It's like the top of the tire rubbing on the shock or shock mount at full flex. And then I'd ask HOW am I going to check this? I can't exactly push the top of the tire over.

DUH :rolleyes: See I get thinking about shit and go down the rabbit hole..
The only thing I would suggest would be to smooth off any sharp edges on the link bolt. It would be less of a puncture issue and more of a gradual cutting as the tire rotates on the contact point.

As for how to check it??? I have an idea but I'll massage you directly about it.

They are some good looking spacers. I've read @Mike_H experiance with his adapter coming off. How did you install them on your axles? Just some red Loctite on the lug nut threads?

I really hope I'm headed down that home stretch.
Yeah, proper torque is the real key. Red Locktite is extra insurance. A lot of the times, I'll drive a few miles after installation (like 100) and pull the tires and check torque on the adapter again. If it doesn't move at 80 (I torque to 90) I'll button it back up and forget about it.

Yeah, proper torque is the real key. Red Locktite is extra insurance. A lot of the times, I'll drive a few miles after installation (like 100) and pull the tires and check torque on the adapter again. If it doesn't move at 80 (I torque to 90) I'll button it back up and forget about it.

Thanks Mike,
This is a NEW adventure for me. I've never ran spacers or adapters so it's all new.

Thanks Mike,
This is a NEW adventure for me. I've never ran spacers or adapters so it's all new.
I ran adapters for a bunch of years and miles without incident. I still don't blame the adapters for my issue...I got lazy and took them for granted. I wasn't using locktite and I got complacent with my torque check...

I ran adapters for a bunch of years and miles without incident. I still don't blame the adapters for my issue...I got lazy and took them for granted. I wasn't using locktite and I got complacent with my torque check...

I've got to deflate my tires so I can check the bolts on the beadlocks so I'll just add this to my LIST of things to check.