Wildman's TJ is getting a face lift

What’s the reason for the two grill mounts? Looks like one mounts higher on the tube to eliminate the puck if you run a body lift?

I wish I knew really do. I seem to be battin a no hitter with kits ordered but NO/NONE/ZERO instructions again. So I really don't have a clue why there is a second one. But yes it does appear to be made to mount higher. I'll know more once I get to that point.

Looks like one mounts higher on the tube to eliminate the puck if you run a body lift?
That was my thought as well, just surprised it wouldn't be optioned that way, i.e. w/body lift and without/BL. Maybe its just cheaper to send both than to ask and send the wrong one.

Reactions: Wildman
That was my thought as well, just surprised it wouldn't be optioned that way, i.e. w/body lift and without/BL. Maybe its just cheaper to send both than to ask and send the wrong one.

I just really wish that these companies would include updated installation instructions with their kit. I'm sure I can figure this out.

Front cover is media blasted and ready for me to clean it up and then paint it.

20210125_094549.jpg

I just really wish that these companies would include updated installation instructions with their kit. I'm sure I can figure this out.

yep I was looking at those instructions and they say to cut the crossmember off flush to the frame and grind flat but the picture they have looks like they torched it out.

Reactions: Wildman
DrDmoney: yep I was looking at those instructions and they say to cut the crossmember off flush to the frame and grind flat but the picture they have looks like they torched it out.

Yes the explination says one thing but their pictures appear to be doing it the exact opposite. I'm following @NashvilleTJ install over on JF. I feel good about following his installation posts.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Here are all the parts to the TNT Custom steering rotation/stretch kit. As @NashvilleTJ noted in his build thread on JF it isn't a lot for the price. But they took the time to design it. In the end if you want/need this it's worth it.

20210125_125538.jpg

The bag of sleeves and steering extension.

20210125_125551.jpg

This is the Flat Aluminum paint. Almost looks like the primer paint once it's dried.

20210125_190137.jpg

I just sprayed another coat of paint onto it and then once it's dried I'll do the flat clear.

So here is what started this whole NEW SwayLoc thing. Because I am using the TNT Customs steering box rotation/stretch I needed these special bushings that ORO makes.

20210125_191052.jpg

20210125_191055.jpg

Reactions: JMT and Alex01
View attachment 80247

This is what it looked like right before it was parked 8 years ago. The 5.2 Dodge magnum V-8 I had swapped into it was having overheating issues. So I had planned to either rebuilt the current engine or find another to rebuild. Well I came across a 5.9 from a Durango for cheap and bought it. I was almost done doing a cheap rebuild when I came across a fellow Ram owner who wanted to trade a stroked 5.9 for a stock 5.9. So after a little haggling we came to a deal. We traded short blocks. His engine had about 10K miles on it so I decided to tare the engine down and clean it up and reseal it. Of course things always happen you do things like that. I dropped the number 2 piston and broke a skirt off it.

About this time I was going thru a divorce so funds dried up for any Jeep repairs. Once I got back on my feet, so to speak I was having health issues that was limiting my ability to work out in my garage. So this past spring I took measures to make myself better. I had been wounded in Iraq back in 2004 when I was shot in the right thigh. The avatar is my femur. In May 2018 I had my lower right leg amputated to try and get rid of the sever pain I was in. Most doctors wouldn't do this surgery because there isn't any guaranty it will help.

View attachment 80246

My current socket that I designed the wrap for.

View attachment 80244

So plans for this facelift is to remove the Nth Degree longarm suspension, stretch the rear 5-10" and the front 2". To do the amount of stretch in the rear I am wanting to do I am thinking about lengthening my tub by about 5-6". I currently have a GenRight 24 gal fuel tank so that has to go and I'll be getting one of their stretch tanks. I'm going to 3 link the front and 4 link the rear while doing all this.
Then I'm going to install aluminum front highline fenders and rear corners. All my old parts will be handed down to my daughters 2002 TJ Sport. So no parts will be wasted or neglected.

View attachment 80245

Don't expect anything right away as I have to wait for the weather to warm up and the snow to melt. But as it gets warmer and funds permit I will be ordering parts.
Wow!! Kudos man and thank you for your service!! I broke my femur in 4 places but obviously nothing like what you went thru. Can’t wait to see pics of her when you get her all redone. 😊

Wow!! Kudos man and thank you for your service!! I broke my femur in 4 places but obviously nothing like what you went thru. Can’t wait to see pics of her when you get her all redone. 😊

Damn breaking your femur in 4 places take a lot of talent. I wouldn't wish it on anyone and the rehab after the fact isn't much eaiser.

Thanks I am looking forward to finally getting it back on the trail.

Next was to get out the HIGH SPEED LOW DRAG oil pan studs from ARP and get them installed into the block. Yes the regualr bolts would have worked but where is the fun in that?

20210126_143306.jpg

20210126_143315.jpg

20210126_145343.jpg

And then dropped the oil pan on and torqued all the nuts down to spec.

20210126_151153.jpg

20210126_151159.jpg

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Tomorrow it'll be time to get everything setup to figure out what length of a push rod I need.

20210126_151401.jpg

20210126_151417.jpg

That timing cover looks really good on the front of the block.

20210126_151712.jpg

The harmonic balancer I'm using has nice timing marks on it which is a LOT better than the stock unit.

20210126_151825.jpg

Last edited:
Once I've gotten the push rod length figured out I can drop the engine back in the frame and finally be able to check clearance of the front axle. But I think I'll wait to do that until I have installed the TNT Customs steering kit.

Reactions: Alex01 and DrDmoney
Once I've gotten the push rod length figured out I can drop the engine back in the frame and finally be able to check clearance of the front axle. But I think I'll wait to do that until I have installed the TNT Customs steering kit.
I would get all that welding and grinding done before putting that pretty motor in.

Reactions: Alex01 and Wildman