Will '06 stereo head unit fit in a '99 Will it sound bad compared to my Kenwood

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Assuming I'm running stock speakers and a soundbar. How much of a downgrade in audio quality will there be if I swap out my Kenwood removable faceplate stereo for a stock Jeep cd/stereo? I don't know anything about the Kenwood. Other than it's probably a cheaper one.

I'm not an audiophile. As long as it's loud enough for me to hear it. I could care less. I don't listen to anything other than the radio. 99% of the time.

I found a Jeep cd/stereo out of an '06. Will it work in my '99?

I'm getting tired of removing and replacing the faceplate. I figure if I go back to stock. No one's gonna rip that off.

With the stock speakers, I'm not sure it will be noticeable.

Now if you had aftermarket speakers, then you'd notice it (it would be a huge downgrade).

The factory stereo on the TJ may just be the worst stereo system ever.

Anyways, I don't think that '06 head unit will work in your '99. The plugs are different, I'm 99% sure of it.

You could likely make it work, but it would be easier to just find one from a 97-02 model (I believe those years are interchangeable).

With the stock speakers, I'm not sure it will be noticeable.

Now if you had aftermarket speakers, then you'd notice it (it would be a huge downgrade).

The factory stereo on the TJ may just be the worst stereo system ever.

Anyways, I don't think that '06 head unit will work in your '99. The plugs are different, I'm 99% sure of it.

You could likely make it work, but it would be easier to just find one from a 97-02 model (I believe those years are interchangeable).

Do be honest I haven't even looked to see what speakers I have. All I know is it's a Kenwood cd/radio. That's not that easy to tune. lol. Which gripes me cause all I listen to is the radio. And I have a wide taste spectrum. So I listen to alot of different stations. I need to download the manual and program all the quick save buttons. I've tried doing it in the past. It appears to work. And then a couple days later it loses them. I assume the speakers are stock. Just cause it doesn't sound that great to me. Like oh my god listen to that sound! But I'm also hard of hearing. And it gets loud under my softtop. But the stereo gets loud enough to hear good. Or as loud as I'd want so other drivers wouldn't be bothered. It does go that loud.

I'm really over dealing with the faceplate though. It's such a PITA. Assuming it was a $100 stereo new. What are the chances of someone stealing it with the faceplate left in? I don't live in a theft proof neighborhood. But there are plenty of nicer cars and stereos around me to take. I don't know why anyone would take a second glance at a cheap Kenwood single din.

Did a cd model come out in '99? I mean can I get a cd stock stereo for a '99 Jeep? I do have a few cd's I play rarely.

If I added good speakers to the stock stereo, would that make it any better? Or no?

Do be honest I haven't even looked to see what speakers I have. All I know is it's a Kenwood cd/radio. That's not that easy to tune. lol. Which gripes me cause all I listen to is the radio. And I have a wide taste spectrum. So I listen to alot of different stations. I need to download the manual and program all the quick save buttons. I've tried doing it in the past. It appears to work. And then a couple days later it loses them. I assume the speakers are stock. Just cause it doesn't sound that great to me. Like oh my god listen to that sound! But I'm also hard of hearing. And it gets loud under my softtop. But the stereo gets loud enough to hear good. Or as loud as I'd want so other drivers wouldn't be bothered. It does go that loud.

I'm really over dealing with the faceplate though. It's such a PITA. Assuming it was a $100 stereo new. What are the chances of someone stealing it with the faceplate left in? I don't live in a theft proof neighborhood. But there are plenty of nicer cars and stereos around me to take. I don't know why anyone would take a second glance at a cheap Kenwood single din.

Did a cd model come out in '99? I mean can I get a cd stock stereo for a '99 Jeep? I do have a few cd's I play rarely.

If I added good speakers to the stock stereo, would that make it any better? Or no?

Yes, if you added some good speakers to the Kenwood stereo head unit, it would make a massive difference, especially if the speakers are stock. The stock speakers are absolutely horrid in terms of sound output.

You may have already seen it, but this is what I did for my stereo upgrade here: Upgrading the sound system on your Jeep Wrangler TJ

It totaled about $700 once it was all said and done, but I'm not kidding you when I say it is GOOD. You can hear the music loud and clear going down the highway at 70 mph with the top and doors off.

I'm not sure if they made a factory CD head unit in '99 models, so I can't comment on that.

This is the Kenwood head unit I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CNWRC65/?tag=wranglerorg-20

It doesn't play CDs as I only ever use it with my iPhone via Bluetooth. However, the interface is very easy to use IMHO, and no one is going to waste their time stealing a $90 radio if you ask me.

I don't know exactly what kind of risk you get from your neighborhood or where you park for other reasons but I don't think I'd worry too much about someone stealing a $100 stereo with the removable faceplate still in. If I thought it was likely to happen I'd probably put some colored duct tape on it to accent some color scheme of some sort or maybe just leave a $5 bill visible right below it. They'll take that $5 and run so fast they won't even touch the stereo. I came up with the $5 theory because my daughter's car was broken into and they took a handful of change and never touched her stereo with it's faceplate still installed. Maybe leave it unlocked too, her window cost somewhere around $175 to get replaced.

06 stereo will not just drop in to a '99.

97-02 used a square stereo, 03-06 used a rounded stereo

you can make it fit, but it will require swapping some dash console pieces

I just tossed out my 1999 Jeep stereo yesterday, it did have a CD player. It was broken when I bought it. I suggest just keep what you have and if it gets stolen you can buy a decent head unit from Crutchfield or other for like $50.
I just got the Axea from them on sale for $50 and some change. Easy install and programming. If it gets stolen I am not heart broken.

Chrysler used to make/selling wiring kit to upgrade the older tj to the newer years radios.. haven’t seen them in a while

I just tossed out my 1999 Jeep stereo yesterday, it did have a CD player. It was broken when I bought it. I suggest just keep what you have and if it gets stolen you can buy a decent head unit from Crutchfield or other for like $50.
I just got the Axea from them on sale for $50 and some change. Easy install and programming. If it gets stolen I am not heart broken.

I think that's the strategy I'm going to use moving forward. Screw this taking the faceplate off everytime and putting it in the glove box or my jacket pocket. It's a PITA. I'm just gonna leave the stereo in there. If someone rips it off. I'll just get another sub $100 unit or an original. And have that put in.

06 stereo will not just drop in to a '99.
View attachment 80067
97-02 used a square stereo, 03-06 used a rounded stereo
View attachment 80081
you can make it fit, but it will require swapping some dash console pieces

Thank you so much for the pics and year to year details. If I see that correct they did make a cd/stereo that will fit my '99? Versus a cassette unit? Do you happen to know which years in 97-02 had the cd player? I kind of think in '99 it was cassette only still.

Thank you so much for the pics and year to year details. If I see that correct they did make a cd/stereo that will fit my '99? Versus a cassette unit? Do you happen to know which years in 97-02 had the cd player? I kind of think in '99 it was cassette only still.
My 99 had cassettes and cd

Really? That would be cool. I still have all my old music on cassette. Great road trip tunes. Maybe I'll look for one of those. Once mine gets ripped off. lol! :)
Cool, use to have 300+ cassettes. Bought this Jeep and could not find a cassette to save my life. CD player was broke and the 3 knob eq was glitchy at best. Wish I could find those cassettes though.

Back in my early 20's I had a Samurai. That I drove throughout the mountains in the PNW. And all the way down into Mexico. I had like a 50 cassette cloth case filled with road trip tapes. I still have it in my garage I think.

Haven't found any units with cassettes and cd. But maybe it's time I put the cassettes on cd.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Assuming I'm running stock speakers and a soundbar. How much of a downgrade in audio quality will there be if I swap out my Kenwood removable faceplate stereo for a stock Jeep cd/stereo?
I seriously doubt you could tell any difference. Speakers are what have the most effect on sound quality.

Reactions: Twopoint
you will need to swap out the center console cover. you will also need the center dash bezel, where the switches are
as the 97-02 had a built in ashtray, and the older TJs don't. the switches will fit either...

Reactions: SSTJ
you will need to swap out the center console cover. you will also need the center dash bezel, where the switches are
as the 97-02 had a built in ashtray, and the older TJs don't. the switches will fit either...

Thanks. What is the console cover? Sounds like a description for the dash bezel, but I see you already mentioned that.

Also, I think that the 2003-2006 stereos have different mounting points. So, wouldn't I need an adapter to make an 03-06 stereo fit in my 97? Or is that related to what you're calling the console cover?

Last edited: