Will 35" tires work fine with my current setup?

15x8 wheels and a 1.25" aluminum (not poly) body lift is the way to go IMHO (y)

I hear a lot of shifting issues with body lift with 6 speed manuals.

True, but others have seemed to fix it without issue I believe. I know @JMT is one of them.

Either way, 4" just isn't enough for 35s, which is why the body lift is added.

Reactions: JMT
You’ll need to downshift frequently on mountain roads / highways , it’s also going to require more throttle off the line and you’ll notice the lower RPMs will be sluggish shifter through gears. Also off-roading you’ll find it annoying going from 2nd to 1st frequently. These are what I’ve noticed most, only benefit to 4,56 over 4.88 is if you hardly off-road and it’s 95% street use you will get slighter better highway MPG as it will be at a lower rpm

You’ll need to downshift frequently on mountain roads / highways , it’s also going to require more throttle off the line and you’ll notice the lower RPMs will be sluggish shifter through gears. Also off-roading you’ll find it annoying going from 2nd to 1st frequently. These are what I’ve noticed most, only benefit to 4,56 over 4.88 is if you hardly off-road and it’s 95% street use you will get slighter better highway MPG as it will be at a lower rpm

My jeep is 95% street use and when I do go off roading, I was already running into that issue of going from 1-2-2-1 sometimes 3 gear cause some times you just send it but that was with 32" tires.

I was running 4.56s gears with 36" tires and a 6speed (before LS swap). No complaints at all at hwy speeds.
I equate that to people in North Korea who are happy with a bowl of rice. If you don't know any better, a bowl of rice is fine. Likewise, 4.56 might seem fine with even 36" tires with some people. I mean the Jeep will go and get you where you need to go, right?

Reactions: Jamesval035
I equate that to people in North Korea who are happy with a bowl of rice. If you don't know any better, a bowl of rice is fine. Likewise, 4.56 might seem fine with even 36" tires with some people. I mean the Jeep will go and get you where you need to go, right?

That is right.

Nah. I live in Canada, so I prefer meat and potatoes.
Say what you want. 4.56 is a perfect combo for me with 36s and a 6speed with lower ratios. You do you with your 5speed and 4.88s.

I had 4.88s with my 5speed and 36s, and didn't like it as much as my 6speed and 4.56s

4.56 or 4.88 is pretty close. I'm sure 4.56 doesn't flat out suck if 4.88's don't. Now when I went from 3.07 to 4.10, that was huge, but 4.56 to 4.88 isn't all that much.

I hear a lot of shifting issues with body lift with 6 speed manuals.
I moved my console back 1” and raised the shifter via a spacer, but you could get a bent shifter or bend yours, which is a better idea. Just add heat. But the best solution is a tummy tuck to raise the TCase back up and resolve all issues.

Well, I got the 35's on their and they are great. I see the difference in highway, barely able to go 70 but she still goes. Ride quality is great though, very happy. Specially with the balance beads.. No rubbing in any angles. Put the new front bumper on, need to add a winch and drings but what you going to do in this market now. everything is shutting down.

jeep35tires.jpg

I had 4.88s with my 5speed and 36s, and didn't like it as much as my 6speed and 4.56s
I didn’t punch in the numbers, but the difference would be so small I don’t think anyone could tell the difference.

Also, I’m on 33’s and 456 with the 6-speed and I’ve run 35’s and I could tell a difference after a week. It takes time to psychologically adjust to a new toy. 36’s probably about perfect at 488. IIRC, the numbers say 471 for 35’s

I have 35's, 4" suspension, 1 Body and 1" MML. UCF extra clearance tummy tuck, too. No shifting issues with my 6-speed aside from how lousy the transmission is.

This is my 05 with a 4" lift and 35's before adding the 1" BL. Mine is also a 6 speed but since my is a Rubicon I have lower gears in my TC, I did upgrade to 4:88's and it's a great combo for me

rub.jpg

11_zps642c32b2.jpg

4.88s with 5speed for sure.

nothing wrong with a small functional body lift (1-1.25") for the reasons already listed by others.

Your current rims look like they already have some backspacing on them. What model rims do you have? Maybe we can help determine if they will suffice

I put the 35's on and no rubbing, no body lift. 6 speed manual tranny. Its great to drive besides the highway, meaning it doesn't want to go 70. Which is understandable. If I go 60-65, the vehicle moves just fine. I do understand, when these brakes do wear out, will need to upgrade. My wheel are the procomp fake beadlocks around 90$ a rim. the backspacing is actually pretty good, only 3/4 of tread on outside of wheel is past the fenders. If any one is looking to get rid of a perfectly fine Tie Rod for a jeep wrangler tj like mine, don't hesitate to send it over. Would be dealt with love