Will a 255 75R 17 mud terrain on a Rubicon wheel fit my stock TJ spare tire rack?

Nivek

I would like to change my current 245 75R 16 inch Rubicon wheels to the JK 17 inch Rubicon Wheels with a 255 75R 17 MudTerrain.

I know that I will need wheel adaptors - planning on 1.25 inch if possible because I don't want a lot of tire outside the fender flare.

My question is — Will the spare fit on the stock spare tire rack if I have a 5th wheel adaptor?

Or do I need to change the whole rack out for clearance of the larger wheel and tire?

Thanks for your help

It will fit with the adapter.
JK wheels.jpg

Last edited:
It will fit with the adapter.

I don't think so. Unless you also have a body lift.

I just put a brand new Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in size 265 75R 16 (31.6" tall) on my stock spare tire holder and it rubs the stock rear bumper just a little bit whenever I open or close the tailgate.

By comparison, a 255 75R 17 tire is 32.1" tall.

Exactly. I ran this setup many years ago. Will try to find pictures to help you out on it will look.

The adapter is not going to solve the problem of a 255 75R 17 tire being too TALL to clear the rear bumper.

You will need a body lift to clear a tire any taller than 31.6".

When I went from the 215 75 15 to the 255 75 17 with JK rims; even with the 1.25” spacer the tire rubbed the bumper, but I was able to loosen the factory tire mount and move it just enough allowing for a slight rub when opening closing the rear hatch.

Last edited:
The adapter is not going to solve the problem of a 255 75R 17 tire being too TALL to clear the rear bumper.

You will need a body lift to clear a tire any taller than 31.6".

The adapter I had used back then was also placing the spare upwards. I think it was rough country and I remember it had dual bolt patterns for both 5x4.5 and 5x5.

Unfortunately I cannot find pics of my spare from back then but will try to find the part I’m taking about if it still exists.

Your current 16's---are they the machined finish ones or painted?

I don't know if you are asking me or Nivek. But I just replaced my aftermarket "Auto Zone" polished aluminum wheels for a set of OEM 2004/2005 Moabs painted Silver.

I think they look great against my black paint, and I the wheel spacing is much better. I prefer the slightly more narrow metric tire (I previously had 32 11.50 15 tires) completely covered by stock [Rubicon] flares.

Reactions: Vtx531
My question is — Will the spare fit on the stock spare tire rack if I have a 5th wheel adaptor?
Instead of a fifth wheel adapter, you could get a relocation bracket that moves it up and out.
Some have multiple stud patterns.

If you're wanting the Moab wheels, they're not limited to just Rubicons on JKs. They're cheaper and easier to find.
Also, you should be able to run 1" adapters vs. 1.25, if you want.

I don't know if you are asking me or Nivek. But I just replaced my aftermarket "Auto Zone" polished aluminum wheels for a set of OEM 2004/2005 Moabs painted Silver.

I think they look great against my black paint, and I the wheel spacing is much better. I prefer the slightly more narrow metric tire (I previously had 32 11.50 15 tires) completely covered by stock [Rubicon] flares.
I think he was wanting to take them off your hands. ;)

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Thanks for all the replies, I really learned a lot about the wheel spacer (probably needing a body lift) or go to a relocation bracket instead - I will look into this - because even if I do the body lift later its all good.

If someone was interested in my 16 inch rims - if I find the right 17 inch wheels - just PM me and I will make myself a note to contact you.

Regarding the Rubicon wheels I'm looking for - I don't want the Moab ones that look the same as the ones I have - my concern with those and maybe it's an illusion but the center seems to "dome outward" - don't like that look. My current moabs center is more "recessed" for lack of a better word. I am pretty certain from what I read on here that I want JK Wheels so I don't have to deal with buying larger wheel studs and lugnuts. I saw a nice set of 5 wheels but someone else bought them before I could! Still looking..

I have to say I really appreciate you all! Great Group!
Nivek

Reactions: TheBoogieman
When I went from the 215 75 15 to the 255 75 17 with JK rims; even with the 1.25” spacer the tire rubbed the bumper, but I was able to loosen the factory tire mount and move it just enough allowing for a slight rub when opening closing the rear hatch.
👍

Reactions: NskLJ
Instead of a fifth wheel adapter, you could get a relocation bracket that moves it up and out.
Some have multiple stud patterns.

If you're wanting the Moab wheels, they're not limited to just Rubicons on JKs. They're cheaper and easier to find.
Also, you should be able to run 1" adapters vs. 1.25, if you want.
👍