Will a transfer case cable shifter fix my issue?

Pigpen

Lets Get Dirty
Supporting Member
I have a 2006 lj with a 4" lift and every time I go out the linkage from the transfer case comes apart and I have to climb under my jeep and put it back in place.
I went to one shop and the want to replace the linkage from the transfer case with a cable system and they say that will fix the issue. 600$
I we

I went to another shop and they say I need a slip yolk Eliminator (SYE) and I can get ride of the spacers on my skid holding the transmission from the lift and that will line everything back up and fix the problem. 1200$. I've tried replacing the bushing holding the linkage but it keeps breaking.what is the best route. 1 or both

My order of operations, cheap to not so cheap.

Most likely you do not need the skid plate spacers. With a 4 inch lift a TJ does, most LJs do not.

Ditch the spacers. See if you have driveline vibrations. No? Fix the linkage and call it done. If you have to spend any money on the linkage, go to the next step.
Ditch the spacers. See if you have driveline vibrations. No? Install the cable shifter, and never think of the linkage again.
Ditch the spacers. See if you have driveline vibrations. Yes? Install sye.

I went to one shop and the want to replace the linkage from the transfer case with a cable system and they say that will fix the issue. 600$
I would avoid that shop. Cable shifters are less than $200 and install/adjust with common hand tools in less than an hour.
I went to another shop and they say I need a slip yolk Eliminator (SYE) and I can get ride of the spacers on my skid holding the transmission from the lift and that will line everything back up and fix the problem. 1200$.
I would avoid that shop. I don't know what your mechanical comfort level is but you can get a high quality SYE and double cardan driveshaft for ~$700. I suggest calling Tom Wood's at 877-497-4238 and chat with Shawn. https://4xshaft.com/pages/product-result?rq=mk_jeep~md_wrangler-tj-lj~yr_1997-2006

what is the best route. 1 or both
both

The reason the linkage is falling apart is probably because it's not straight. A body lift or transfer drop puts it at an angle.
Some body lifts come with a bracket to help maintain the correct geometry.
A cable shifter will solve it.
Here's a cheaper bracket alternative.

Reactions: Sancho
All good posts. A cable shifter is a true upgrade- Usually you can shift with 2 fingers, the shift points are definite, all the vague feel is gone. Love mine. Money well spent if needed.

Reactions: nondem
Anythoughts on what brand of transfer case shifter cable in best to install. I see B&M, Steinjagern, novac, and savoy. Or if you know a better bilt brand I would appreciate your thoughts

I got a savvy but I’m not familiar with everything thats out there-

I got a Savvy as well. Everything I’ve received from Savvy I’ve been happy with, but I don’t have a whole review here.

Thanks guys. I will try it out. Whatch a couple videos And could not believe how simple it looks to install. I can't believe the shop was going to charge me 3 hrs to install. Crooks

Installed the savvy shifter cable with so.e help from my neighbor. Rook about 2hrs. Was not hard at all. I could have installed it quicker if savvy would send some instructions with there product. Not even a parts list a savvy sticker for my hard hat. Good quality product though. Feels very durable. Thanks for all the input on this issue. Saved myself 400$.😃👍

Reactions: txbemis69