Will a YJ clutch fit a TJ?

Guam671jeeper

Hey jeepers can someone help out I have a 2002 tj nv3550 5speed transmission, and my clutch is about done.a buddy of mine is selling me an accel performance clutch for a really good price,but the problem is the clutch kit is for a 95 Jeep yj.will it fit my Jeep trans is it compatible pls someone need to buy it before he sells it thanks.

If it's for the 4.0L, it should work fine. But if he's selling that Accel "performance" clutch for more than you can buy a Luk clutch kit for, I'd pass on it. Luk's complete clutch kit is only $88 on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20. That kit includes the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and pilot shaft.

"Performance" clutches have no benefit over the Luk clutch which is what the factory installed. If you had a high HP/high RPM race car engine, then maybe but it'd be a waste paying extra for it for the Jeep.

The OE Luk clutch commonly lasts over 200k miles and close to that when it is abused like I did to mine when I was running a manual transmission. Because I had an upcoming run through a VERY difficult rock crawling trail called Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley (you can Google pictures of Sledgehammer), I decided to do a precautionary clutch swap at 161k miles. When I got the old clutch out, it still had plenty of clutch material left and it likely would have made it over 200k miles.

When I say I abused my clutch, this is one of the many times I smoked my previous TJ's factory Luk clutch... the same clutch that still had plenty of life left at 161k miles. Yep, that is clutch smoke. :eek:

Jerry_up_in_smoke.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: UpperMI and Chris
If it's for the 4.0L, it should work fine. But if he's selling that Accel "performance" clutch for more than you can buy a Luk clutch kit for, I'd pass on it. Luk's complete clutch kit is only $88 on Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CICYZ4/?tag=wranglerorg-20. That kit includes the clutch disk, pressure plate, pilot bearing, throwout bearing, and pilot shaft.

"Performance" clutches have no benefit over the Luk clutch which is what the factory installed. If you had a high HP/high RPM race car engine, then maybe but it'd be a waste paying extra for it for the Jeep.

The OE Luk clutch commonly lasts over 200k miles and close to that when it is abused like I did to mine when I was running a manual transmission. Because I had an upcoming run through a VERY difficult rock crawling trail called Sledgehammer in Johnson Valley (you can Google pictures of Sledgehammer), I decided to do a precautionary clutch swap at 161k miles. When I got the old clutch out, it still had plenty of clutch material left and it likely would have made it over 200k miles.

When I say I abused my clutch, this is one of the many times I smoked my previous TJ's factory Luk clutch... the same clutch that still had plenty of life left at 161k miles. Yep, that is clutch smoke. :eek:

View attachment 5249
Thanks alot Jerry very helpful