Will applying brakes and gas lock the differentials?

Sjyellowjeep

I have an open diff TJ ( Dana30/ Dana 35). I was reading on a Tacoma site about Brake Throttle Modulation which is when you apply the brakes while also accelerating (assuming 4L). This essentially tricks the open diff and applies power equally to both wheels. Is this an actual concept that works. Does it work with the front and rear? Or BS?

The effect is closer to a limited slip than a locker, and even then it doesn't often work. Essentially the effect relies on uneven braking force between the two wheels which can sometimes reduce wheelspin in the free wheel, allowing some torque to be applied to the grounded wheel.

However, whatever torque you gain from the brakes on one side you lose much of on the other side.

In an emergency where you're stuck with open differentials, it's worth giving this a try, but don't get your hopes up. If you had to you could disable the brake on the grounded side (via vice grips or adjusting the cable way out) and try to engage the side in the air only.

Modern AWD cars often do a similar thing automatically. When the AWD senses wheelspin, it applies the brakes on that wheel to eliminate the wheelspin. However, the AWD brakes only one wheel at a time, so all the resistance the one brake makes creates torque in the other wheel. Applying both brakes at the same time will eliminate most of the effect.

A clutch type limited slip differential uses a series of clutch packs inside the differential that have a similar effect. The clutches resist one wheel turning faster than the other, causing more torque to be applied to the slower moving wheel. This effect reduces the amount of times that only one wheel spins when stuck in snow, mud, gravel, etc. However, the effect is limited because adding too much force on the clutches would result in chirping tires in on-pavement use.

A locker, however, will allow you to consistently apply 100% of the drivetrain torque (minus frictional and viscous losses, of course) to one wheel without any wear on brakes or other components.

Reactions: Ericict and fuse
I don't think 4L or 4H makes much difference because I first learned about this back in the early 80s in someone's father's (late 60s, IIRC) Oldsmobile station wagon. At the time I was amazed that it worked so well but found out the hard way that using brakes in general to lock up whatever tire is spinning can randomly work to get you unstuck but is even more random than getting stuck to begin with.

Some of my friends back then would adjust their "emergency" brake so they could lock up one tire while flooring the gas pedal so we could spin out on wet roads. One of the many fun things I somehow survived!

Wow! After tying all that I just remembered STEERING BRAKES!! Those can stop your spinning tire to get you unstuck or let you turn on a dime. They can also give your friends something to make a potentially great youtube video of.

Also called "cutting brakes" where I'm from. The problem with hitting the brakes while trying to keep from getting stuck should be obvious to everyone. In agriculture there are normally 2 brake pedals for this purpose. Lock the wheel that is spinning with no traction to force the power to the other wheel. And I have been doing this for close to 50 years and still often don't get it 100% right. You have to be precise in timing, force, and steering (it tries to move the back sideways sometimes). I'm not claiming to have the fastest reflexes in the world, but it takes a lot of practice to get it right. And if done wrong can get you stuck worse.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
I got my experience with steering brakes from dune buggies. Now I remember some people calling them cutting brakes, so I looked them both up to see if there might be a difference.

Steering brake results showed some dune buggies and some heavy equipment trucks, cutting brake results showed 4X4 stuff. I have no idea why tractors and such were left out of either main page, bummer.

So, what's the difference?

It seems to be about the same as the difference between a fiddle and a violin. It just depends on who is using it and to a lesser degree how and why.

This comes into play in sand and mud where your tires are spinning not just slipping. Physics say you cannot develop torque/power without resistance, by applying the e brake while driving you are providing the resistance needed to develop the power. Sounds kinda weird, but that's what they are talking about.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford