Will Dana 35 from a 1995 YJ fit my 1997 TJ (resolved)

I'm having some internal problems with my rear end, and it seems that simply replacing it with another Dana 35 with 3.07 gears will be significantly cheaper than getting the internals fixed. I came across a Dana 35 off a 1995 TJ with 160,000 miles for 50 bucks. The craigslist post states that it is set up for spring over or spring under.

Will this fit my 97 tj?

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
You’ll have to do a bit of welding work to the axle. YJs are leaf spring. TJs require coil spring pads. It’d be much easier and probably cheaper in the long run to find a TJ axle, or fix your current one.

If you do fix your current one, this may be a good time for a regear and/or lockers, as you’re already doing the labor and parts for one of the axles

Oooh ok. I think I mistook the spring over part for coil springs. My bad!
Many stock leaf spring axles are mounted over the leaf springs from the factory. This is generally done to avoid issues with axle wrap (basically the axle twists the leafs into an S-shape). A common and cheap way to lift a leaf spring vehicle is to simply install pads on the top of the axle tube and mount the axle underneath the leaf springs. This lifts the vehicle about 5 inches with very little change in suspension geometry and very little cost, just some welding and rebolting. Those are both leaf spring pads on top and under the axle. The previous owner simply left the pads on the bottom so it could be returned to stock with no welding.

Reactions: Squirmin L Toad
I have a complete running Dana 35 with disc brakes upgrade. Roswell, GA. 3.07 no damages. I built another with 4.56 gears. You can buy them cheap. From all kinds of places. Try Craigslist, there has to be a Jeep recycler near you. If you can't find I've reach out to me. I don't want to sell mine, but everything is for sale.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: Squirmin L Toad
You could also take the time to build a good one for yourself with the parts you have.
Master install kit is maybe 80$
Re-gear sets are like 200$
Eaton e-locker 900$ requires, Chromolly shafts 200$

You could also take the time to build a good one for yourself with the parts you have.
Master install kit is maybe 80$
Re-gear sets are like 200$
Eaton e-locker 900$ requires, Chromolly shafts 200$

Most users here will recommend 1541H instead of chromoly shafts for the Dana 35, due to the inner bearing race being the shaft itself. If replacing the carrier and the shafts at the same time, it may be worth switching to 30 spline axles, which aren't much more expensive, but significantly stronger.

Most users here will recommend 1541H instead of chromoly shafts for the Dana 35, due to the inner bearing race being the shaft itself. If replacing the carrier and the shafts at the same time, it may be worth switching to 30 spline axles, which aren't much more expensive, but significantly stronger.
That is what I meant, 1541h 30 spline shafts are frequently misrepresented by calling them chromolly. But they do come in Chromolly as 27 spline. My bad.

Reactions: Steel City 06