Will higher gear ratio improve the 42RLE performance?

OK, that's what they had suggested that it would hold on to 3rd longer and not lock as early. It sounds like you are saying that isn't the case, which is what seemed to make sense to me, but I don't know how the trans 'thinks'...

The problem with just shutting off OD is that around here, you're ALWAYS going from side streets at 35, so if OD is off it wants to lock in 3rd gear, the same as it locks in 4th... And then you go from them onto 202 which is 45-50 so I'm ALWAYS switching back and forth. I even installed a relay and wireless switch that I mounted on the back of the steering wheel to switch on the fly. Needless to say, while it's open if I could install a new gears to overcome that and convince it it NOT to up-shift and lock while going up a hill at 40 and then drop down to 700rpms etc etc etc...

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
After at least a couple requests, you still haven't given us your tire size information. We absolutely cannot answer your "best gear ratio" question without knowing your present and likely future tire sizes.

Like the OP, my gripe about running around with the OD switched off is the 42RLE then wants to lock up the torque converter in 3rd, dropping the rpms too soon. You can't win.

I never seemed to have any issues with the OD off driving around. Maybe it's just me, but I gather Blaine doesn't have any of these issues either?

To the OP - do you have an 05 or 06? If so the PCM/TCM can be reprogrammed to raise the 4th gear upshift and downshift speed. Mine originally hunted for gears between 35-50mph as well. Now OD doesn't start until 50mph under normal cruise throttle, similar to manually hitting the OD button again.

Wow, lucky you! I replied last night but it didn't come through somehow...

Mine does the EXACT same thing when OD is off, it just does it all in third gear instead. With OD, it does it about 40mph where it shits into 4 and then locks the converter regardless of what you're doing (like going up a steep hill) and then it drops to 600rpm looses power, and then I stomp on it and it downshifts and I restart the cycle... If I shut OD off, it does the same thing, just earlier, at 30 instead of 40. I even installed a relay and a wireless switch on the back of the steering wheel, not because 'i can't extend a finger six inches when you take it out of park', but because I have to switch it TWENTY TIMES every time I drive. Get on 202, switch OD off, turn off onto a side street, switch it back on (because it won't lock in 3rd, if OD is on), get back on 202, switch it off, get over 50 switch it back on.
Based on what you're saying, I guess I'm the ONLY one who has the problem when OD is off?

To the OP - do you have an 05 or 06? If so the PCM/TCM can be reprogrammed to raise the 4th gear upshift and downshift speed. Mine originally hunted for gears between 35-50mph as well. Now OD doesn't start until 50mph under normal cruise throttle, similar to manually hitting the OD button again.

I looked into this YEARS ago and was told you could reprogram everything BUT the 05 and 06 with the 42rle. Do you have a particular coder or part or process that you can refer me to??? Thanks!

Like the OP, my gripe about running around with the OD switched off is the 42RLE then wants to lock up the torque converter in 3rd, dropping the rpms too soon. You can't win.
Sorry to see you've got it too, but I'm glad I'm not going crazy!
BTW I renamed the thread to match what I was really trying to ask. Sorry for all the confusion.
Also, spotted the previous page button and see my original reply did show up... I guess I have as many problems with Jeep forums as I have with Jeeps! Thanks again everyone!

Wow, lucky you! I replied last night but it didn't come through somehow...

Mine does the EXACT same thing when OD is off, it just does it all in third gear instead. With OD, it does it about 40mph where it shits into 4 and then locks the converter regardless of what you're doing (like going up a steep hill) and then it drops to 600rpm looses power, and then I stomp on it and it downshifts and I restart the cycle... If I shut OD off, it does the same thing, just earlier, at 30 instead of 40. I even installed a relay and a wireless switch on the back of the steering wheel, not because 'i can't extend a finger six inches when you take it out of park', but because I have to switch it TWENTY TIMES every time I drive. Get on 202, switch OD off, turn off onto a side street, switch it back on (because it won't lock in 3rd, if OD is on), get back on 202, switch it off, get over 50 switch it back on.
Based on what you're saying, I guess I'm the ONLY one who has the problem when OD is off?
I have the same problem. I actually have to leave OD on unless I’m going over 50. If I’m cruising at or a little above 70, I can turn OD back on and still be in acceptable RPMs, it just wont have any getup if I wanted to go any faster.

I looked into this YEARS ago and was told you could reprogram everything BUT the 05 and 06 with the 42rle. Do you have a particular coder or part or process that you can refer me to??? Thanks!
The 05 & 06 is supported by HP Tuners and does allow you to adjust these. Its the 04 and prior that has a separate TCM that is not adjustable.

Reactions: PodBoy
Oh yes, you got it now. That's what I mean exactly. Turn the OD switch off anytime you get in the vehicle, and you'll find that as long as you're geared properly, you'll never need to turn it back on unless you're at very high speeds (highway speeds). It makes driving it so much better. That .69 OD gear was a poor afterthought on Chryslers part.
I checked the other day thinking about this topic again. When you put your hand on the shifter to take it out of park, the OD off button is less than 6" away from it. Boggles my mind that extending a finger and hitting the OD off button when you take it out of park is that hard.

Could just wire a signal to turn it off every time you start the Jeep up. Then it would act like many other OD selectors. But to me that sounds like the epitome of diminishing returns I'll probably do it once I'm bored enough of that 6" movement.

Could just wire a signal to turn it off every time you start the Jeep up. Then it would act like many other OD selectors. But to me that sounds like the epitome of diminishing returns I'll probably do it once I'm bored enough of that 6" movement.

At some point I had asked about this and I believe the answer was that it couldn't be done, at least not easily. Blaine would likely know better than I would though, so I'm curious to hear what he has to say about it.

At some point I had asked about this and I believe the answer was that it couldn't be done, at least not easily. Blaine would likely know better than I would though, so I'm curious to hear what he has to say about it.
It has been done via a latching relay but it's a PITA and tricky to wire and get working.

It has been done via a latching relay but it's a PITA and tricky to wire and get working.

Okay, sounds like what I remember being told. In other words, it sounds like more of a pain in the butt than it's worth. Especially when you can just train yourself to get in the habit of turning it off when getting in the vehicle.

Okay, sounds like what I remember being told. In other words, it sounds like more of a pain in the butt than it's worth. Especially when you can just train yourself to get in the habit of turning it off when getting in the vehicle.

Ya certainly possible but it would surely lead to a very anti climactic result for the amount of effort. I'll likely do it at one point out of boredom. If I do I'll take a few pictures.