Will I have any issue installing a new transmission since my transfer case is clocked?

Jmr17320

TJ Enthusiast
2003 TJ with 5.3L swap. Running GM NV3500 5 speed to NP231J. Previous owner had clocked the transfer case to transmission my slotting the transmission end. (Think drilled hole that broke off the outer portion). I am at work or I’d have a pic

I have a replacement transmission to install but I am wondering if the “slots” in the transmission allow dirt inside either the transmission or tcase? If yes, I’d there a better way to mate these two items?

Reactions: pc1p
You sure it was clocked and not a NP231J + GM hybrid? A lot of folks run the GM front half and mate it to the rear of a Jeep NP231J.

You sure it was clocked and not a NP231J + GM hybrid? A lot of folks run the GM front half and mate it to the rear of a Jeep NP231J.

I thought that was the situation until I compared old transmission to new transmission and noticed the notches or slots on transmission tailhousing

Here is a pic

01C4B002-DF41-4292-A781-EF3DED1010BA.jpeg

I would just run the 231C (assuming you don't need to 231J Speedo output) and slap the SYE onto it.

How many bolts attach the trans to the t-case?

If it's 5, then it's a NP231C. If it's 6, then it's a 231J and someone notched/drilled the trans to get the Jeep pattern t-case to fit.

If it were me, I'd find a NP231C case at a junkyard and run that - OR - make a hybrid if you need the VSS signal.

Well that isn't true, at that point, I'd probably just go order an Atlas and be done :)

Reactions: NashvilleTJ