Will I Regret Selling Hardtop?

I bought a hardtop for my TJ to use during winter. If you are keeping it, make sure that you have a space to store it during the summer if you want to take it off. If you are getting rid of it, make sure that that you are absolutely 100% positive that you will not regret it. Because if you sell it, and notice that you’ve made a mistake, it will be near impossible to find one in good condition that won’t burn a hole in your wallet.

I bought a hardtop for my TJ to use during winter. If you are keeping it, make sure that you have a space to store it during the summer if you want to take it off. If you are getting rid of it, make sure that that you are absolutely 100% positive that you will not regret it. Because if you sell it, and notice that you’ve made a mistake, it will be near impossible to find one in good condition that won’t burn a hole in your wallet.

I just bought a Bestop Trektop NX, my logic being that since I run the TJ in the summer w/ a bikini top & doors I can just use that and forgo the ass pain of switching between a bikini top for summer and hardtop for winter. Figured it would be easier, I could just throw the windows on if some weather comes through... Plus I think I could get at least $1200 for my hardtop.

So far I love the soft top but I'm hesitant to sell the hardtop. It's still in great shape, has a sunroof, the rear defrost & wiper work like a champ, and it is still hanging in the garage lol. I think I'll do a winter w/ the soft top first ans see what's what.

Reactions: jazngab
I just bought a Bestop Trektop NX, my logic being that since I run the TJ in the summer w/ a bikini top & doors I can just use that and forgo the ass pain of switching between a bikini top for summer and hardtop for winter. Figured it would be easier, I could just throw the windows on if some weather comes through... Plus I think I could get at least $1200 for my hardtop.

So far I love the soft top but I'm hesitant to sell the hardtop. It's still in great shape, has a sunroof, the rear defrost & wiper work like a champ, and it is still hanging in the garage lol. I think I'll do a winter w/ the soft top first ans see what's what.
That sounds like a great idea. I sold my hardtop over the summer for $1,500 within an hour of posting it. So I either had it priced just right or left some meat on the bone.

That sounds like a great idea. I sold my hardtop over the summer for $1,500 within an hour of posting it. So I either had it priced just right or left some meat on the bone.

Damn! You know, I would be a lot less hesitant to sell it if there were more available. I mean if I could get $1500 for it knowing i could find a nice one later for the same amount i would, but most of the ones available locally are in so-so shape and it's not exactly a easy part to get shipped

Damn! You know, I would be a lot less hesitant to sell it if there were more available. I mean if I could get $1500 for it knowing i could find a nice one later for the same amount i would, but most of the ones available locally are in so-so shape and it's not exactly a easy part to get shipped
I feel you. In the bay area, I see tops every so often between $800-2k so though it would take time I could likely replace it for roughly what I sold it for. For my needs, a hardtop is more of a luxury than a requirement so I figured why not turn the hardtop into double adjustable control arms and a rear track bar. (y)

If anyone is buying a hard top, keep your soft top. My Jeep is much more stable off road without the hard top on. The change in center of gravity is definitely noticeable. Plus trail damage is always a possibility. A soft top is nice to keep you warm on the cool winter rides.

Last edited:
Reactions: jazngab
I love having the options. In the winter when I put my hardtop back on I am reminded of how much I love it. Makes snow runs so more enjoyable. Warm and quiet. My vote is keep it (not that I get a vote) 😄
I like having options as well but I feel it’s a hassle switching back and forth. It’s been up for sale for a month now and no bites. No rush to sell though. If I still have it mid November I’ll put it on.

I feel you. In the bay area, I see tops every so often between $800-2k so though it would take time I could likely replace it for roughly what I sold it for. For my needs, a hardtop is more of a luxury than a requirement so I figured why not turn the hardtop into double adjustable control arms and a rear track bar. (y)
I agree that’s its a luxury. And when I look at it I see other mods that it could pay for. I have it listed for $750 and it’s in very good condition and tinted windows. A bunch of low ball offers and no shows so far.

They go for about 1000-1500 in WA in good condition, but they don't come up for sale very often at all, let alone in good condition. Personally I love having the dual top option. I built a cart that it can sit on standing upright, which takes up less of a foot print. I also plan on getting a zip on cover for it, then I can roll the cart into the back yard during the summer. I love rocking the soft top as long as I can, but in the PNW, once the "rainy season" sets in and the soft top would theoretically never go back down, I really enjoy getting to put the hard top back on. Plus my Jeep came with it so its all wired up from the factory.
Just my 2 cents (y)