Will my TJ be strong enough to launch / recover boat?

It should be no problem, and as said above, 4L is the key. I’ve moved quite a few boats around here at a particular ramp the F150s are just too long to navigate.

Reactions: DaddyZSmith
I plan on using my 2003 TJ with 32's and 3.73 to tow my 17' flats boat that weighs 1800 lbs rigged out. Does anyone think that I'll have any issues with this? I've got loads of experience towing with trucks; but only limited experience towing with a Jeep.
No issues! TJ is rated for 2,000lb in USA.

I tow a 2700lb boat trailer all summer. It went down to Miami and back to Michigan too but I keep the speed at 60mph max with a trailer.

3.73 with 29’s and 3-speed auto.

Guessing you have an automatic transmission? It should already have a cooler.

1800lbs is nothing. Maybe need additional cooler if it was 18,000 and you were towing up and down mountain grades in the desert.

Last edited:
I used my TJ one time to trailer my little 16 foot Lund. Gross weight and tongue weight no issue, but to to back in far enough to float off, when it's only 6' door to hitch means stepping out into the lake. Fine if it is warm, cold wet feet if not.

Extended cab p.u. is 12' door to hitch = dry feet.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj
I plan on using my 2003 TJ with 32's and 3.73 to tow my 17' flats boat that weighs 1800 lbs rigged out. Does anyone think that I'll have any issues with this? I've got loads of experience towing with trucks; but only limited experience towing with a Jeep.
How did it work out? Any issues?

Pulled, launched, and recovered my TFX 175 Sea Nymph with my previous 4” lifted JK effortlessly, wouldn’t even consider doing the same with my present TJ.
will not even discuss the assclowns I have encountered at numerous launch ramps.

In flat Florida it shouldn't be too bad but no doubt it will be a bit of a slug with 3.73's and 32's and pulling 1.8k pounds.

Power will be fine, you can put it in 4lo. Remember that it is probably way over anything sane for TJ tongue weight and your steering will be light because the front wheels will be unloaded but I'd do it. Worst case you make a few bucks with a good youtube video of your Jeep underwater. Main thing, you've got plenty of power for the job in 4lo.
This is true dont put too much tongue weight I put my mower too far forward on the trailer. And I didnt steer the trailer the trailer steered me.

I've had a ton of boat launch experience, I could launch my old boat by myself in 10 minutes or less... launching a boat is only stressful if you don't know what you are doing.

OR

If you're using the wrong rig. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using a light as fuck TJ to launch a 5000lb boat. Get on a steep and slimy enough launch and the boat will pull you into the water. Also, I think you said it was a manual? Can't tell you how often I saw someone stall a manual and roll backwards into the water when they had too much boat behind the rig.

I don't understand at all why you wouldn't use the F150 you said you have for towing it to launch it. 100x safer.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I would steer clear of any steep ramps with anything slimy growing on it. Lots of ramps like that on the salt chuck, especially at low tide.
Any vehicle will have issues in these conditions. Youtube is full of examples.
The main thing is 4X4 can get you going better than 2wd but it won’t stop you any better. Turning while pulling weight on dry pavement in 4X4 can be a problem also.

Threads like this always make me wonder: "What other questionable things do people do on the road thinking they're safe because they've 'never had an issue doing it before'?"

;)

Just for posterity, I’ve been towing and launching with my 1997 TJ 4.0 Manual.

The boat is a 2003 Sea Ray 176 BR.

The Boat weights 2100. Trailer weight maybe 1000 (?).

Tows great, dive with care and leave extra distance for stopping.

The launch I go to is *steep*, 4 low, use chocks.

• Wow
A SWB TJ like yours and mine can launch and recover that size boat without much trouble. But that 3100 lb. total is to much to tow safely with the short wheelbase of a TJ. Stopping it isn't the problem, power isn't the problem. The TJ's very short wheelbase is the problem. Try to stop that combination on a curve or turn in an emergency maneuver and you'll quickly learn the meaning of the tail wagging the dog. Because of its short wheelbase the TJ's max safe towing limit is 2,000 lbs.

The longer wheelbase Wrangler Unlimited has the same engine and brakes but it has a 3,500 lb. max safe tow limit. The only difference that gives it the higher 3,500 lb. tow limit is its longer wheelbase.

Personally I've been towing boats 17-22' boats since around 1972 and safe towing is more than just having enough power and braking ability.

Put simply, your TJ's wheelbase is too short to tow your 3100 lb. boat safely on the street or highway.

This shows what can happen when towing a heavy boat behind a short wheelbase Wrangler.

download-2.jpeg