Will Rancho RS5000X shocks ride better than my current Bilstein 5100 shocks?

So far I am liking my Skyjacker Black Max much more than the Rancho 9000xl the 5000x and Bilstiein 5100. They seem to absorb more than the others which were rougher Riding . For a cheap shock they are fine so far . Search engine will come up with a thread with many comparing I think 5000x , KYB and Black Max

I was thinking about the black max shocks. any others out there that are running the black max?

Yes, they're out there. @Mike_H.

Some are running RAncho 5000X in the front and the Black Max's in the rear. I don't personally know. I run Rancho's and I like them, but I haven't tried Black Max's, so I don't know the comparison. Others like Mike who I tagged above have run both.

I was thinking about the black max shocks. any others out there that are running the black max?

They are ok. I have them, don't love them. They were way better on my jeep than Ranchos or KYB though. I've already had to send my rears back (which was a whole 'nother fiasco TL: DR buy direct from Skyjacker) once and I think they are probably shot again. I'm over it. I'm going to be doing something different this winter.

Reactions: JMT
I've run Black Max shocks across two vehicles (TJ and LJ) and have no complaints. That said, I've got slightly less than 10K miles combined on both.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Yes, they're out there. @Mike_H.

Some are running RAncho 5000X in the front and the Black Max's in the rear. I don't personally know. I run Rancho's and I like them, but I haven't tried Black Max's, so I don't know the comparison. Others like Mike who I tagged above have run both.

that's what i'm running currently as a temporary fix to the harsh ride i was getting from the ranchos in the rear.

can't wait to be done with this bandaid solution though.. soon enough!!

Reactions: JMT
that's what i'm running currently as a temporary fix to the harsh ride i was getting from the ranchos in the rear.

can't wait to be done with this bandaid solution though.. soon enough!!

Are you sure it’s not those OME springs your so fond of harshing your mellow?🤣😂

• Haha
Reactions: Ocho and JMT
Are you sure it’s not those OME springs your so fond of harshing your mellow?🤣😂

i stacked 2 pairs to get the right ride height but now i can’t seem to figure out which combo would give me the ideal rate.. one low rate one high, both low rate, both high..

i probably just need a dork to help me dial it in by phone

Sheeshhh..I was gonna upgrade?// to Bilstein's from the R5000X'es. Sounds like that's a bad idea.

I have the 5100's on my JT and love them. I was also thinking about putting a set on the TJ when the current ones buy the farm. Now I am also wondering. I can say on the JT that the Bilsteins did firm up the ride but are very controlled. The drive is similar to a German car ride very highly damped with minimal excess movement. The JT is a much longer wheelbase so this is probably why the 5100's work so well. Looking to see what you decide

Some of us know who is quoted here. 🤫
August 2015.
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

For the record, my opinion of Bilstein has probably irritated more folks than should be legal and I just use their opinion of them as a barometer to show how well they judge ride quality."

Last edited:
I have the 5100's on my JT and love them. I was also thinking about putting a set on the TJ when the current ones buy the farm. Now I am also wondering. I can say on the JT that the Bilsteins did firm up the ride but are very controlled. The drive is similar to a German car ride very highly damped with minimal excess movement. The JT is a much longer wheelbase so this is probably why the 5100's work so well. Looking to see what you decide

5100s will work better on the JT due to its long wheelbase and weight. I didn't like my 5100s, going over manhole covers would cause the backend to "sidestep" even with the tires at lower pressure. Currently have Fox shocks which ride much better but are still firm enough that I don't feel like I'm a ship taking a turn.

Some of us know who is quoted here. 🤫
August 2015.
"If you can tolerate the Bilsteins, that will invalidate any discussion you and I may have from now on. 🤣 They are quite possibly the most annoying damper I've ever used.

Folks tend to brag about how nicely they eat up the larger events while failing to mention accurately in the same breath they are real handy at determining if a quarter is heads or tails simply by passing a tire over it.

For the record, my opinion of Bilstein has probably irritated more folks than should be legal and I just use their opinion of them as a barometer to show how well they judge ride quality."

Pagrey?

🙂