Will re-gearing affect the speedometer?

The IsARubicon

TJ Enthusiast
Speedometer is already off quite a bit from the 35's, but I'm getting a re-gear and I am curious if this will make the speedo even worse (or better?!) - '06 LJ Rubicon ..

Yes, it will make things even worse!

This is what you need:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=274046516383

It's plug-and-play, works on the Rubicon models, and it literally took me 10 minutes to get it installed and configured. Super, super easy, I can't recommend it enough.

Note that on Rubicon models you need one of those, as you can't simply change out the speedo gear like you can on non-Rubicon models due to the transfer case on the Rubicon using a digital signal.

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Thanks Chris - After realizing that the TC gear change in the Rubicon Transfercase isnt an option I had already put the Speedohealer on my list.. I was just hoping/wishing that the lower gears would at least move the speedo back in the right direction!

Thanks Chris - After realizing that the TC gear change in the Rubicon Transfercase isnt an option I had already put the Speedohealer on my list.. I was just hoping/wishing that the lower gears would at least move the speedo back in the right direction!

Nope, it definitely won't. I put 35s on my TJ, then added 5.38 gears, and the speedometer was off by about 15 MPH at 65 MPH if I recall correctly. It was really bad!

A side note. There is some calibration that can be done to the PCM. However, a mopar technician went in to mine and changed some parameters and it did not help. I run the Speedo Healer in mine.

Reactions: The IsARubicon
My speedohealer seems to be broken. All connections seem on point but no LED lights up to set.

Ordered from podiumsuperbike as well, anyone dealt with them or this issue?

Changing your gears to a lower set will not make the speedometer reading worse, it will make it less incorrect.

Changing your gears to a lower set will not make the speedometer reading worse, it will make it less incorrect.
Well now that is 100% opposite from what others have posted.. I cant wait to pick up the Jeep tomorrow to see who's right!
The suspense is palpable !

Well now that is 100% opposite from what others have posted.. I cant wait to pick up the Jeep tomorrow to see who's right!
The suspense is palpable !
Its basic math. The taller the tire, the speedometer will read slower at highway speeds. To read correctly you need to speed up the output shaft and that’s exactly what lower gears are going to do.