Will soon have 2 car seats in my TJ

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So in 3 weeks, probably less, I will have another son. Which means I will have 2 car seats in my TJ.

2Y0YPeP.jpg

c4bQJBF.jpg

I managed to fit them in my TJ. I’m a little worried about fitting 2 babies in there now.

What kills me is that my wife won’t be able to get the kids in and out. Luckily she drives a 2012 Grand Cherokee, which we use as the family vehicle. But I hate the fact that she can only use 1 out of our 2 vehicles.

I don’t see is buying a 3rd vehicle. I’m not wanting to have a 2nd car payment, and don’t really want to let lose of the cash to buy another vehicle.

So yeah, things are going to get a little interesting.

Congratulations on the new arrival......Im sure once the lil one turns up, you'll work something out.

Try putting the new baby in from the rear. The older one you have already figured out.

Congrats!!!!
It will be a PITA but it will work out.
We always used my wife's car as the family car even before I had the Jeep.
When we got married I traded my Suzuki Samurai for a used 2 door F150.
When kids came we had the F150 and a minivan so we could only use the minivan as the family vehicle because there was no way of putting 2 car seats in the 2 door F150. We really only had 1 the entire time my kids were in car seats.

Congratulations on the soon to be new son! There’s got to be a solution to your dilemma with your tj. I’ve read too many times people saying “I regret ever selling that jeep”. If you love your jeep, someway will surface. Do you have any trusted family that would love to use a jeep as trade for their more family friendly vehicle at times when your in a pinch?

@lovemachine, you probably already know that we are in a similar situation, but with five kids. So we have one family vehicle and my TJ. My wife loves our family vehicle so there’s no reason for her to take the TJ unless she just wants to go by her self

When I switched from a TJ to an LJ, I also switch from ARB sliders to frame mounted Jeeperman ones to make getting the kids in and out of the carseats easier. It was a good choice, and made my life much easier.

Congratulations on the new baby!!!! Hope he is letting you guys get a decent amount of sleep :)
I have an 11 month old girl. The TJ is an extra vehicle so I don't use it much with her but when I do I found the best way to load / unload her is through the rear window. (I had the hardtop on so I wasn't fighting the floppy rear window) Just make sure you treat the Grand Cherokee as your wives car and not to take it away from her while she has the kids and everything will work out great.

Reactions: JMT
Congratulations on the new baby!!!! Hope he is letting you guys get a decent amount of sleep :)
I have an 11 month old girl. The TJ is an extra vehicle so I don't use it much with her but when I do I found the best way to load / unload her is through the rear window. (I had the hardtop on so I wasn't fighting the floppy rear window) Just make sure you treat the Grand Cherokee as your wives car and not to take it away from her while she has the kids and everything will work out great.
Exactly.

I mean, do you really need a car seat? You could get a few of these and make use of that roll cage.

Kidding! Congrats! We've got a little boy at home now and I can't wait until he's old enough to go off-roading with me.

How strong/tall is your wife and how lifted is your Jeep? Like others have said, you’ll figure out a technique that works. It might be less than ideal, but like you said it’s not the family vehicle.How old’s the other kid?

There’s at least one thread on here talking about techniques.

And congratulations on the addition! I have a five year old and a two year old. To be honest, I’m glad it’s our third vehicle, but it’s not so bad that I’d get rid of it if it weren’t.

Reactions: lovemachine
Well, baby decided to come early. Wife went into labor 3:30am this morning. Son born at 11:08am today.

Busy busy day. Thought we had another 3 weeks!

Been searching used vehicles. Had a crazy idea about buying a JKU. But man everything in my area has the 3.21 gear ratio. Knowing me, I’d want to build the JKU like my TJ. And 3.21 gearing just isn’t going to cut it.

Looks like I’ll be searching for Silverado trucks!

We have a third on the way, so there’s no way I’ll be able to fit them in the TJ by any means. But that’s okay, because the TJ is only meant to be a fun weekend vehicle. Our family vehicle for daily driving will be a minivan.

No way I’m ever selling my TJ again, not for anything. Even if I can only fit two kids in it at a time, I’m okay with that as they can take turns!

Reactions: K.C.
Congrats on your new son! Holy cow I bet your stressed. No time better then the present I suppose! Enjoy !