Will the engine and transmission from a 2004 Grand Cherokee fit my 2004 TJ?

Brian Alcorn

TJ Enthusiast
2000 grand cherokee to a 2004 Rubicon ... motor and trans.. both 4.0 and 4 speed auto... deat brother got scrapped by a semi and may want to sell it ... I may get it if they fit and part out the rest

20220308_144857.jpg

Guess nobody knows ... I'm sure someone does but ok
What exactly is the question? Neither your thread title or post itself has anything formatted in question form. That’s an important detail I’d say.

While I don’t know what will fit and what wont, I know Blaine knows for sure. In the meantime, I will at least change your thread title so resembles an actual question. That might help with people actually answering the question.

Keeping the grand Cherokee trans would probably take some work, but a 2004 grand Cherokee 4.0 should be pretty much a plug and play swap for a 2004 TJ. I just swapped an 04 GC 4.0 into my 02 TJ and the only thing that was different was the oil pressure sensor. The intake manifold might be a bit different, but I swapped my TJ manifold onto the new motor

Why do you want to do this?
Why... lifter tick... needs rebuild after 391k miles ... free engine is better than none... gotta pull the engine to replace cam or disassemble the entire front end .. grill condenser radiator .. and hopes it comes out ... easier to swap block and head

Reactions: CharlesHS
The engine will swap easily but the transmission is slightly different. Also keep in mind the cylinder heads in 2000 had a defect that caused some to crack.

I'd slap a new cylinder head on the 2000 block from Clearwater Cylinder that fixed the defect and throw that sucker in.

The engine will swap easily but the transmission is slightly different. Also keep in mind the cylinder heads in 2000 had a defect that caused some to crack.

I'd slap a new cylinder head on the 2000 block from Clearwater Cylinder that fixed the defect and throw that sucker in.
Yeah I saw something about the heads cracking .. his grand has 138k miles ... ok ..looked up prices and it's about 400 to replace cam and lifters with head gasket set... thought the cam was 500 alone was why I wanted to do it.. for that price me and the kid could change them out one weekend.. can't go without the jeep as it's daily driven .. and don't wanna pull the engine unless rebuild or replace

Reactions: jeepguy03
Yeah I saw something about the heads cracking .. his grand has 138k miles ... ok ..looked up prices and it's about 400 to replace cam and lifters with head gasket set... thought the cam was 500 alone was why I wanted to do it.. for that price me and the kid could change them out one weekend.. can't go without the jeep as it's daily driven .. and don't wanna pull the engine unless rebuild or replace
Yeah I wouldn't do an entire engine swap unless yours grenades or you are swapping in something much newer/better like a 4.6L stroker or a reman engine.

Yeah I wouldn't do an entire engine swap unless yours grenades or you are swapping in the bottom end is in good shaoe bit thats alot of miles something much newer/better like a 4.6L stroker or a reman engine.
It's been ticking since I got it 3 yrs and 86k miles ago ...runs really good with no smoke at all and only leaks about half a quart between changes so I'm lead to believe the bottom end is in good shape but damn that's a lot of miles... would love a v8 with trans to go with it but money is an issue amd too much involved in swapping ecm and wiring... only ever changed plug and play engines ...kinda hesitant to get into changing to different engine... considering emissions ..if not for all that I would happily get a carb 350 and drop it in.