Will these axle shafts fit in my Dana 44?

Ljcrawler

I have a 04 lj unlimited. swapped 06 Rubicon axles under it. I have part # mg22135 ten axles that came with the jeep. When I look up this part # it says non Rubicon models only. I dont see any difference between the original Dana 44 specs and the Rubicon Dana 44 specs. Any reason this set of shafts wouldn't fit ?

Hi. I realize this is a really really old thread but here we go. I have a 04 lj unlimited. swapped 06 Rubicon axles under it. I have part # mg22135 ten axles that came with the jeep. When I look up this part # it says non Rubicon models only. I dont see any difference between the original Dana 44 specs and the Rubicon Dana 44 specs. Any reason this set of shafts wouldn't fit ?

They'll fit just fine. The Dana 44 axle shafts are the same regardless of being a Rubicon or a non-Rubicon model.

They'll fit just fine. The Dana 44 axle shafts are the same regardless of being a Rubicon or a non-Rubicon model.
That's what I figured and seems like the obvious answer. I just try to do more research these days before I dig right in and regret it later. Thanks for the quick response. I'm new on here and appreciate your original post. Alot of good info.

That's what I figured and seems like the obvious answer. I just try to do more research these days before I dig right in and regret it later. Thanks for the quick response. I'm new on here and appreciate your original post. Alot of good info.

No worries! It’s better to ask, even if you think the answer might be obvious.

The only difference I found on a previous '06 TJR I owned before was the PO had swapped axles from a Dana 44 without rear disk brakes. The wheel studs were not as long as those on a disk brake Rubicon, due to the difference in thickness of the wheel hubs...if I'd kept the TJR, I would have had to install longer studs.

I know on the JK rubicon the rear axles aren't identical. The passenger side is actually shorter then the drivers due to the factory elocker.
The only difference I found on a previous '06 TJR I owned before was the PO had swapped axles from a Dana 44 without rear disk brakes. The wheel studs were not as long as those on a disk brake Rubicon, due to the difference in thickness of the wheel hubs...if I'd kept the TJR, I would have had to install longer studs.
judging by the reviews of the part number supplied looks like you are right and the studs aren't the right length.

Did your 04 axle have disc brakes? The retaining plate on the drum Dana 44 shafts is different than the disc shafts.

Reactions: jjvw
Did your 04 axle have disc brakes? The retaining plate on the drum Dana 44 shafts is different than the disc shafts.
What would that difference be? I ask, as I saw a thread from some time ago (different forum, maybe?) where @Jerry Bransford had posted pictures of a Dana 44 axle shaft assembly, and he was commenting to be sure you had it facing the right direction. Well, the retainer plate had a lip that was to face toward the bearing. I don't recall ever reading that the assembly was from a disc brake Dana 44, but I do know that my drum brake Dana 44 has a completely flat retainer plate. It concerned me enough that I headed back out to the garage to see if I had missed something. Both the original and the replacement were, in fact , flat. So is the difference that the disc brake axle set-up has the lip, whereas the drum brake one is flat?

Reactions: Ljcrawler
What would that difference be? I ask, as I saw a thread from some time ago (different forum, maybe?) where @Jerry Bransford had posted pictures of a Dana 44 axle shaft assembly, and he was commenting to be sure you had it facing the right direction. Well, the retainer plate had a lip that was to face toward the bearing. I don't recall ever reading that the assembly was from a disc brake Dana 44, but I do know that my drum brake Dana 44 has a completely flat retainer plate. It concerned me enough that I headed back out to the garage to see if I had missed something. Both the original and the replacement were, in fact , flat. So is the difference that the disc brake axle set-up has the lip, whereas the drum brake one is flat?

That is my (limited) understanding of it, I've only delt with the disc shafts. I only know as much as I do because I was going to sell some used disc shafts to a guy with a drum 44 and called someone way more knowledgeable to make sure they would fit. His answer? Yes, if you swap the retainer plate.

That is my (limited) understanding of it, I've only delt with the disc shafts. I only know as much as I do because I was going to sell some used disc shafts to a guy with a drum 44 and called someone way more knowledgeable to make sure they would fit. His answer? Yes, if you swap the retainer plate.
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking that's probably the difference. Someone who knows for certain will likely chime in before long. This place is full of good information!

Here's the difference in the retainer plates... the flat bracket in the first photo is for drum brakes, the second shows the version with the raised lip required for disk brakes. The raised lip must face inward for disk brakes as shown in the third photo.

Axle retainer bracket.jpg
CIMG1227.JPG
CIMG1231.JPG

I appreciate all the shared knowledge. I've been learning from my mistakes without forums for years on my old 72 cj5 that finally made it through the Rubicon. it's nice to get the newer jeep built right the 1st time (or at least close) with a little more comfort in mind

Reactions: Squatch