Will this work? Wheel offset question

Reef

I want to run a set of rims from a Golden Eagle on my Sport. They have a 5.5 offset versus a 5 for the factory Ones I have now. Running 31x10.5 tires and a 2” ome lift. Am I going to have a rub issue?

Pretty sure it will rub just a small amount which can be fixed with a washer under each steering stop. Try it first though, you may not have any rubbing. I do believe anything that came with 31's had 5" backspacing which helped them clear over the deeper 5.5" BS rims.

That's called backspace not offset. Big difference. But I have no idea about the fit, but don't think the 1/2" would be a problem with your 10.5's. if they rub, adjust the steering stops.

That's called backspace not offset. Big difference. But I have no idea about the fit, but don't think the 1/2" would be a problem with your 10.5's. if they rub, adjust the steering stops.
X2, that 5.5" dimension is the wheel's backspacing dimension. Don't confuse that with Offset which is a different measurement. I wouldn't run a 10.5" wide tire with 5.5" of backspacing but it can be done if you add a washer or two under both of the steering stop bolts.

Reactions: pagrey
Those wheels are just painted Ravine wheels if you want to get better search results. I have run 31" tires with no lift and no rub for well over 70,000 miles on an off the road with no issues at all, your experience may vary, every Jeep is different. I have slight rubbing with my current 32" tires and a 1" lift but only really when I am disconnected up front. As that guy that specializes in Black Magic often says, the rub at full lock steering lock is nothing to worry about, just let off a little and it wont rub.

I had zero rubbing on my previous TJ with 31x10.5 and Canyon wheels (5.5" BS) and 1.5" of lift.

IMG_20210201_162921.jpg

Both sets of rims have a 5.5 backspace but one is a 15x7 with a +38 offset and the others are 15x8 with a +25 offset so there should only be 3mm difference between the 2 if I’m figuring this correctly. Should be good to go I think.

Both sets of rims have a 5.5 backspace but one is a 15x7 with a +38 offset and the others are 15x8 with a +25 offset so there should only be 3mm difference between the 2 if I’m figuring this correctly. Should be good to go I think.
again...backspace is what you need to worry about, not offset.

They both have a 5.5" backspace which means the inside rim will be in the same location with respect to the hub mounting flange. Clearance wise, it will be exactly the same.

Since the wheel is an inch wider, the outside rim will be an inch farther out.

To a point, unless you have to parallel park into tight parking spaces as I sometimes do.
I don't care what you have to do, when you hear it rubbing, turn back a smidge and stop it. You sound like the guy who I told NOT to hold his steering in bypass because it will bow the the cap on his 900 dollar steering gear and blow the seal.

He asked what bypass is. Bypass is the hissing sound you hear when you go to full lock and it won't turn any further. Since the pump will keep making pressure there has to be a pressure relief. The sound is the pressure relief. Don't hold it in bypass or you'll mess up the steering gear. Now, get this very clear in your understanding of how it works Mr. Guy, you can put it in bypass with the tires straight ahead if you get it off road against the right rocks. Do NOT hold it in bypass, when you hear the noise, back off ever so slightly until it stops, got it? Yes, I got it.

Month later I get a call, hey, I was parking my trailer with the Jeep and fluid started dumping out of the cap where it meets the body.
Yes, do you recall that email I sent you and the conversation about not holding it in bypass or you'll bow the cap and it will leak?

Yes, but you said off road. No, I said full lock and tires straight ahead depending on if they will turn, the pump can go into bypass if the pressure goes high enough and not to hold it there because that will fuck up the steering gear.

I was just backing the trailer into the spot.

Yes, and you were holding it in bypass.

I was just parking the trailer.

Alright, this is simple. Guess how I know you held it at full lock with the pump in bypass too long? That's right, you puked the seal out due to a bowed cap. Bring me the gear and I'll ship it in for you and then you get to pay for the repair.

But I....
Shush now. Send me the gear.

• Haha
Reactions: astjp2
I don't care what you have to do, when you hear it rubbing, turn back a smidge and stop it. You sound like the guy who I told NOT to hold his steering in bypass because it will bow the the cap on his 900 dollar steering gear and blow the seal.

He asked what bypass is. Bypass is the hissing sound you hear when you go to full lock and it won't turn any further. Since the pump will keep making pressure there has to be a pressure relief. The sound is the pressure relief. Don't hold it in bypass or you'll mess up the steering gear. Now, get this very clear in your understanding of how it works Mr. Guy, you can put it in bypass with the tires straight ahead if you get it off road against the right rocks. Do NOT hold it in bypass, when you hear the noise, back off ever so slightly until it stops, got it? Yes, I got it.

Month later I get a call, hey, I was parking my trailer with the Jeep and fluid started dumping out of the cap where it meets the body.
Yes, do you recall that email I sent you and the conversation about not holding it in bypass or you'll bow the cap and it will leak?

Yes, but you said off road. No, I said full lock and tires straight ahead depending on if they will turn, the pump can go into bypass if the pressure goes high enough and not to hold it there because that will fuck up the steering gear.

I was just backing the trailer into the spot.

Yes, and you were holding it in bypass.

I was just parking the trailer.

Alright, this is simple. Guess how I know you held it at full lock with the pump in bypass too long? That's right, you puked the seal out due to a bowed cap. Bring me the gear and I'll ship it in for you and then you get to pay for the repair.

But I....
Shush now. Send me the gear.
now that is fucking funny Blaine! SHUSH!