Will YJ doors fit on a TJ?

… The full doors of the YJ won't fit the TJ unfortunately, I believe it's the angle of the windshield.
That's correct. There's about a 4* difference, YJ's being steeper. The rear upper corner of the YJ doors also went through a change during their run. They started out with squarish corners and went to round much like TJ doors. Also, as mentioned in the link above, the latches were different.

By "wing doors", do you mean the half doors? If so, then you can find these for TJs.

However, if you already have some YJ half doors, someone posted a write-up a while back showing how to fit those on a TJ as well:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/how-to-install-yj-half-doors-on-a-tj.3030/
Not half doors. Wing windows
The smaller window that would push open in front of the main window
All old cars and trucks had them...
They were great for catching and directing the wind into the vehicle..

Reactions: JeepZilla380
Will YJ doors fit on a TJ ?
If not what is different?
I want to have wing windows on my TJ ...
You're best bet would be to purchase a pair of CJ/YJ and TJ/LJ full doors off ebay or craigslist. Have a hot rod shop thats willing to do custom work cut the wings out of the CJ/YJ doors and weld them into your TJ/LJ doors. It would require the guts and glass from the YJ door I would think.

I have only a rough idea of how it would need to be done. However, if done right, it would look like the factory did it. Although your wallet would likely be hurting if done, “right.”

This is just my opinion. There has to be an easier way. I’ m just not sure it would look as good as something cut and welded in to look and function like factory.

The TJ/LJ and CJ/YJ door’s dimensions look very close, if not identical. The latches and strikers do not line up. Good luck with that.

YJ door handles (paddles) are a different orientation, directly opposite of the TJ. They open the correct way IMO, more natural flapper direction as you approach the side of the vehicle.

The interior window crank of the YJ/CJ full doors would likely be blocked by the dash of the TJ/LJ. I would guess the speaker grills would block the YJ/CJ window cranks.

All in all, they should fit dimension wise. Thr doors will most certainly not fit “right” because of the TJ windshield angle. Interior wise, you WILL have issues too. Issues being door striker and window crank.

Last edited:
Gotcha. That makes sense.

No YJ's or TJ's had wing windows. There might be something from the after market but I'm not aware of any. Some of the earlier XJ's had wing windows and they are nice to have.

That's correct. There's about a 4* difference, YJ's being steeper. The rear upper corner of the YJ doors also went through a change during their run. They started out with squarish corners and went to round much like TJ doors. Also, as mentioned in the link above, the latches were different.
That’s unfortunate... but thank you for the knowledge

No YJ's or TJ's had wing windows. There might be something from the after market but I'm not aware of any. Some of the earlier XJ's had wing windows and they are nice to have.
CJ’s and YJ’s did have winged windows. One of my YJ’s has full doors and winged windows. My brother’s YJ has full doors and winged windows... 🤔

Edit: Pics added for clarification.
DD539D15-D2BC-45CC-9240-EE505C0EB02E.jpeg

Last edited:
Will YJ doors fit on a TJ ?
If not what is different?
I want to have wing windows on my TJ ...
A TJ/LJ tub with a CJ/YJ door. Specifically a CJ door. Notice the gap issue at the windshield.
61888C98-5705-45E8-A453-81914EFB9670.jpeg
688FDC9E-8503-4874-8AEA-49533D999762.jpeg
9B52190E-3757-42A4-9036-6657A4E5DB64.jpeg

The only way I see it, you have two options. Go for it, slap the CJ/YJ doors on, make some minor modifications to make it open and close. It will be a total budget look and you might have issues with perfecting the gaps. Or go with a custom mod through a hot rod shop willing to take the chop, cut, and welds, making it appear and operate as OEM. ($$$$)

I’m with you, winged windows on a TJ/LJ would be awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: JeepZilla380
CJ’s and YJ’s did have winged windows. One of my YJ’s has full doors and winged windows. My brother’s YJ has full doors and winged windows... 🤔
I think I misspoke on the YJ doors. Personally I've only had soft doors. I was aware that CJ's had them but again, they wouldn't be of any use on a TJ.

As an aside, I used have a CJ with steel doors and a steel half top. They were made by Meyers and came with the Meyers plow. They didn't have vent windows and the windows went up and down with less than 2 complete revolutions of the handle!

A TJ/LJ tub with a CJ/YJ door. Specifically a CJ door. Notice the gap issue at the windshield.
View attachment 133002View attachment 133001View attachment 133003

The only way I see it, you have two options. Go for it, slap the CJ/YJ doors on, make some minor modifications to make it open and close. It will be a total budget look and you might have issues with perfecting the gaps. Or go with a custom mod through a hot rod shop willing to take the chop, cut, and welds, making it appear and operate as OEM. ($$$$)

I’m with you, winged windows on a TJ/LJ would be awesome.
Do those wing/vent windows actually work? I don't see any latches or pivot points. On an XJ for example they are quite obvious. Just curious. If they don't and that's part of the fab work you're talking about above ... you're right BIG BUCK$.

Last edited:
Oh man, that's a great idea. I'd love to have the wings again. My '94 YJ had them.
Looks like Morris has the window assemblies. Now someone just need to make them all fit!
https://www.morris4x4center.com/fai...bbQQlJv9SYmi0cHkE87h-VxmRxvPd-9EaArjSEALw_wcB@Fouledplugs : It is possible to flip the door handles on a TJ to make them correct. I did it with mine. You have to bend the bar that pulls the latch a bit to make them work, but otherwise, no other modifications are needed. :)

Reactions: Fouledplugs
Oh man, that's a great idea. I'd love to have the wings again. My '94 YJ had them.
Looks like Morris has the window assemblies. Now someone just need to make them all fit!
https://www.morris4x4center.com/fai...bbQQlJv9SYmi0cHkE87h-VxmRxvPd-9EaArjSEALw_wcB@Fouledplugs : It is possible to flip the door handles on a TJ to make them correct. I did it with mine. You have to bend the bar that pulls the latch a bit to make them work, but otherwise, no other modifications are needed. :)
I have yet to flip the handles/paddles on my TJ. I never knew it was possible. Never gave it thought, how reliable is the mod once done?

Have you had any issues. The mod may be worth a how-to write up.

I can’t stand how the paddles are oriented on the TJ’s/LJ’s in comparison to my YJ’s.

Do those wing/vent windows actually work? I don't see any latches or pivot points. On an XJ for example they are quite obvious. Just curious. If they don't and that's part of the fab work you're talking about above ... you're right BIG BUCK$.
Seems some CJ/YJ doors vary. Both mine and my brother’s YJ doors have the winged door with pivots.

I agree the photos I attached above from the internet makes it appear that the door’s wings dont pivot.

This is what early model YJ doors (notice the early model mirrors) look like from inside and outside. Apologies for one being landscape orientation and the other being landscape.
5FF4C804-CD3A-4744-8AED-6B2B4DAE7CEF.jpeg
824545BA-E1ED-453F-8271-B0F53DDE31AD.jpeg

Seems some CJ/YJ doors vary. Both mine and my brother’s YJ doors have the winged door with pivots.

Same variance with XJ/MJ doors although I'm sure when and why. The latch in your second pic (YJ) looks like what I have on my XJ which makes sense as they were built at about the same time. It's a 2 dr. and also has rear window vents which are nice too. My MJ doesn't have vents at all.

One thing about window vents, I ALWAYS remember to close them when I lock my doors. There's no pint in locking the doors if you don't! 😊