Winch find - Sherpa Mustang

I ran into a similar situation recently while looking at buying a new gas BBQ grill since mine was 10 years old and getting rusty. I started looking at the Weber Genesis line (its their middle of the road offering). I was shocked to find they were running around the $900 mark and even more shocked when I found after a little research that they were made in China! When did grills get so expensive? LOL. So I went down to my local hardware store so I could actually fondle one and see what was going on. What I found was undeniably a well made product that comes with a 10 year warranty on parts and labor. I much prefer buying things that are made in the USA when I can, but as far as this grill is concerned I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

I got a little curious about service and spare parts on the Sherpa winches, so I contacted them. Here's the response-

Hello StG58,

All spare parts are available and likely much cheaper then replacement Warn parts. We are currently servicing all winches and parts supply from Australia using express air freight and this is working well however is likely to further improve in the future with a number of companies approaching us to become local USA dealers for the Sherpa brand who would also hold parts and support the winches.

Our winches are very good quality and spare parts sales are extremely low. While we don't have spare parts on the shelf in the USA we support our USA customers with cost price spares which offsets the slightly higher cost of express air freight.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Just as an FYI, they have a new high speed 10,000 lbs winch called the "Brumby" that looks interesting.

Reactions: JMT and 06TJ35's
I got a little curious about service and spare parts on the Sherpa winches, so I contacted them. Here's the response-

Hello StG58,

All spare parts are available and likely much cheaper then replacement Warn parts. We are currently servicing all winches and parts supply from Australia using express air freight and this is working well however is likely to further improve in the future with a number of companies approaching us to become local USA dealers for the Sherpa brand who would also hold parts and support the winches.

Our winches are very good quality and spare parts sales are extremely low. While we don't have spare parts on the shelf in the USA we support our USA customers with cost price spares which offsets the slightly higher cost of express air freight.

Kind Regards,
Ryan

Just as an FYI, they have a new high speed 10,000 lbs winch called the "Brumby" that looks interesting.
I've been looking at there stuff. Interesting and I may get one but I noted that some are listed at meters per minute and some are feet per minute like the Brumby. Have you seen the same?

I've been looking at there stuff. Interesting and I may get one but I noted that some are listed at meters per minute and some are feet per minute like the Brumby. Have you seen the same?
Yes, but the conversion is pretty straight forward. Why they list the Brumby in ft/min and not m/min is unknown to me. They are working hard on breaking into the US market though, or it could be an error on the web page.

One thing I have noted in all of my research is these aren't noted as the fastest winches around. Reliable as the day is long, hell for stout, good power to weight, just not super fast.

Edited to add: Went out to the Sherpa Australian web site and everything is metric except for the winch ratings. Line speed is in m/min. The Brumby high speed winch isn't listed yet, so it may be a US targeted product. Doing the math, the line speeds are a bit slower on the listed winches, but given the advertised gear ratios, that should be expected. The Mustang is faster, advertised speed to advertised speed, than the Warn M8. The Brumby is faster still.

Last edited:
Yes, but the conversion is pretty straight forward. Why they list the Brumby in ft/min and not m/min is unknown to me. They are working hard on breaking into the US market though, or it could be an error on the web page.

One thing I have noted in all of my research is these aren't noted as the fastest winches around. Reliable as the day is long, hell for stout, good power to weight, just not super fast.

Edited to add: Went out to the Sherpa Australian web site and everything is metric except for the winch ratings. Line speed is in m/min. The Brumby high speed winch isn't listed yet, so it may be a US targeted product. Doing the math, the line speeds are a bit slower on the listed winches, but given the advertised gear ratios, that should be expected. The Mustang is faster, advertised speed to advertised speed, than the Warn M8. The Brumby is faster still.
The Brumby is faster at full load but slower at no load than my Warn. That is a good thing because I wouldn't be getting anything much slower. Just doesn't work for our wheeling.

Reactions: StG58
Sent a note off to Ryan, the guy I was taling with at Sherpa, about the line speeds. He said they corrected them, but when I checked, they only had some updated. It's all about the details. Makes me kind of wonder what else they might miss.

Makes me kind of wonder what else they might miss.

I've seen erroneous information go uncorrected on major and reputable US-manufacturer websites, as well...so while I agree that it's annoying as FUCK, it may not be indicative of the company's quality as a whole.

Meanwhile, I have some winch reading to catch up on. I'm deciding whether or not I want to completely rebuild a garbage M8000, or just buy something else.

Another thread on here got me to thinking about winches. I wondered what the rest of the offroad world does for a quality winch. That train of thought lead me to Australia (G'day mates!) and Winchworld Australia. https://winchworld.net/collections/recoverywinches
And that lead me to Sherpa and the Mustang. https://sherpa4x4.com/products/the-mustang-9-500lb-offroad-winch
Now that looks and sounds like a winch. Heavy duty motors, Albright sealed contactors, steel cut gears, brake in gear box, readily available repair parts, no extra charge for synthetic line and good reviews. The install kit looks complete and comprehensive. Lots of options like dual motors and 12 / 24 volt. Two different line capacities available. Assembled in Australia. The price for all this goodness? About $750 shipped to the US or Canada. Slightly more than a Warn M8000 with steel cable and less than a Warn with synthetic cable.

The Sherpa Mustang looks like good kit.

If you want to get your eyes to bug out, check out what a Warn costs in Australia. The exchange rate is about $0.79 US to $1 AUD right now.
Another thread on here got me to thinking about winches. I wondered what the rest of the offroad world does for a quality winch. That train of thought lead me to Australia (G'day mates!) and Winchworld Australia. https://winchworld.net/collections/recoverywinches
And that lead me to Sherpa and the Mustang. https://sherpa4x4.com/products/the-mustang-9-500lb-offroad-winch
Now that looks and sounds like a winch. Heavy duty motors, Albright sealed contactors, steel cut gears, brake in gear box, readily available repair parts, no extra charge for synthetic line and good reviews. The install kit looks complete and comprehensive. Lots of options like dual motors and 12 / 24 volt. Two different line capacities available. Assembled in Australia. The price for all this goodness? About $750 shipped to the US or Canada. Slightly more than a Warn M8000 with steel cable and less than a Warn with synthetic cable.

The Sherpa Mustang looks like good kit.

If you want to get your eyes to bug out, check out what a Warn costs in Australia. The exchange rate is about $0.79 US to $1 AUD right now.
We just recieved a Sherpa winch, opened it up to install and we can get it disengaged.
3 days later, no contact back from the company, yet they want 24 hours from date of reciept for a return authorization.
No refunds, credit or exchange only.
The frustration is boiling and Im hoping I didn't jump the gun to try out a newish brand just to try something different and not made in China. Assumed it was manufactured in Australia. 😪

We just recieved a Sherpa winch, opened it up to install and we can get it disengaged.
3 days later, no contact back from the company, yet they want 24 hours from date of reciept for a return authorization.
The frustration is boiling and Im hoping I didn't jump the gun to try out a newish brand just to try something different and not made in China. Assumed it was manufactured in Australia. 😪
Keep us posted. I was going to pull the trigger on a Brumby, but your snafu makes me want to pause and see. I noticed they recently upgraded the Brumby motor from 8 to 8.9 hp.

@Blackjack is a winch guru, I used his article on AK4x4 to build up my Warn 8074, I converted it to an 8274 and put on the super industrial motor, I went from something like 2 horsepower to about 6...it is wickedly fast.

Reactions: derekmac and StG58
@Blackjack is a winch guru, I used his article on AK4x4 to build up my Warn 8074, I converted it to an 8274 and put on the super industrial motor, I went from something like 2 horsepower to about 6...it is wickedly fast.
Do you have a link to his article? That information would be interesting and informative.

As a side note, Warn still builds a variation of the 8274 and would be happy to sell you one. For $2,000 -$2,500 depending on exact variation.

Reactions: reddvltj

Any updates on this?