Winch install

bud quinn

Bought a 9000 lb winch with 'universal channel mount' Holes don't line up.2006 Wrangler X. Any suggestions ?

bumper1.JPG

Bought a 9000 lb winch with 'universal channel mount' Holes don't line up.2006 Wrangler X. Any suggestions ?

I just installed a winch using a Smittybilt winch mounting plate (#2803) on my 04 TJ with a stock bumper.
It used one bolt on each side of the frame and 2 top bumper/tow hook bolts on each side. It fit great.
I think it was about $65 on Amazon.

Yep, the winch bolts to the bumper, not those holes on your frame.
No, the winch's mounting plate bolts directly to the frame with longer bolts that replace the upper bumper mounting bolts. The mounting plate's bolts only pass through the bumper to thread into the frame below. A bumper doesn't even need to be present to mount a winch when it's mounted on a winch mounting plate. The winch mounting plate bolts to those two pairs of holes on the frame shown above. Only if you buy a bumper with an integrated winch mounting plate would a winch be bolted just to the bumper... i.e. its integrated winch mounting plate. :)

Last edited:
No, the winch's mounting plate bolts directly to the frame with longer bolts that replace the upper bumper mounting bolts. The mounting plate's bolts only pass through the bumper to thread into the frame below. A bumper doesn't even need to be present to mount a winch when it's mounted on a winch mounting plate. The winch mounting plate bolts to those two pairs of holes on the frame shown above. Only if you buy a bumper with an integrated winch mounting plate would a winch be bolted just to the bumper... i.e. its integrated winch mounting plate. :)
Oops! I got that one wrong. Thanks for the correction. :) Good to know. I just deleted the post.