Winch on a tubular bumper

H_Nunez

TJ Enthusiast
Good morning forum, I`m finally getting a winch, I currently have a tubular bumper which I really like (old school...). Can someone in the forum share some pics of this setup?, Which kind of winch plate did you use?Not sure if the winch plate should go between the frame and the bumper bracket or on top of the bumper bracket...Please share some pics...
IMG_0227.jpg

Good morning forum, I`m finally getting a winch, I currently have a tubular bumper which I really like (old school...). Can someone in the forum share some pics of this setup?, Which kind of winch plate did you use?Not sure if the winch plate should go between the frame and the bumper bracket or on top of the bumper bracket...Please share some pics...
The photo you need to post will show a closer shot of the top-front of the opening through the bumper where a winch would be mounted to know if it's possible.

Reactions: H_Nunez
The photo you need to post will show a closer shot of the top-front of the opening through the bumper where a winch would be mounted to know if it's possible.
Thanks Jerry, this is my current setup. (The recovery hooks have a spacer in the rear bolt that equates to the width of the bumper`s bracket)...

IMG_0696.jpeg

It's hard to say from that photo but it appears there's insufficient room for a winch mounting plate to be installed with that particular bumper in place. A good second photo would be from the front too.

That winch plate you asked about does not appear to be raised but the angle of its photo makes it hard to say 100% if it is or not. If I have a choice, I will always choose a non-raised winch plate which gives the winch less leverage against its mounting points.

It's hard to say from that photo but it appears there's insufficient room for a winch mounting plate to be installed with that particular bumper in place. A good second photo would be from the front too.

That winch plate you asked about does not appear to be raised but the angle of its photo makes it hard to say 100% if it is or not. If I have a choice, I will always choose a non-raised winch plate which gives the winch less leverage against its mounting points.
Here`s a view from the top that might give a better idea of the space. I would be taking out the Jeep logo plastic cover.

IMG_0702.jpeg

Well, your photos are so close up it's hard to tell for 100% sure but it looks like a winch mounting plate would probably fit there. You might have to do a little trimming for the fairlead mounting plate but maybe not.

Reactions: H_Nunez
That winch plate that @Claybirdd posted looks like my Smittybilt plate, and if it is, it’s a raised plate. From that picture angle you just faintly see the crease where it starts to raise. Right between the mounting hardware and the brace that is welded on top.