Winch Recommendations

The M8000 isn't a waterproof winch. Plus, if you look at the bottom of the contactor pack, you'll see holes in the metal.
Oh. The wiring doesn't have any inline fuses/switches and wires directly to the battery... does that mean I need to be careful around puddles/stream crossings? Or if I accidentally submerge it, is it ruined? Or maybe it's not as big of a problem as I'm imagining

Oh. The wiring doesn't have any inline fuses/switches and wires directly to the battery... does that mean I need to be careful around puddles/stream crossings? Or if I accidentally submerge it, is it ruined? Or maybe it's not as big of a problem as I'm imagining
It's not a real problem. If you live, or use it, in wet areas, just let it dry out as best you can and follow these guidelines.

https://www.warn.com/how-do-you-maintain-your-winch

Reactions: lBasket
It's not a real problem. If you live, or use it, in wet areas, just let it dry out as best you can and follow these guidelines.

https://www.warn.com/how-do-you-maintain-your-winch
Okay thanks! Good to know, yeah sounds like them not being waterproof doesn't really mean getting wet "fries" them. Lots and lots to learn being new to winches.

Also FWIW for anyone else that ends up here, Warn is sending me a new housing. Just sent them a pic and they're sending it out when available. Bad news is they're backordered til 4/6/21, but it'll come eventually.

Okay thanks! Good to know, yeah sounds like them not being waterproof doesn't really mean getting wet "fries" them. Lots and lots to learn being new to winches.

Also FWIW for anyone else that ends up here, Warn is sending me a new housing. Just sent them a pic and they're sending it out when available. Bad news is they're backordered til 4/6/21, but it'll come eventually.
A bit of a rough patch here getting started, but the M8000 has an outstanding reputation. Plus, Warn's customer service is legendary and parts are normally not a problem. You'll be happy in the long run! (y)

Don’t know if it has been stated,

a winch is just the start. Spent two hours this weekend putting the wife’s winch to hard work.

we wouldn’t have been successful with out the bag of goodies, tree anchor, snatch rope, shackles, winch rope weight, snatch block.

I didn’t go expensive found a deal on Amazon for less then what warn wants. I’m sure there are better ones out there but it worked for me.

Last edited:
Yeah - I am trying to get the rest of the "kit" as well. I got a tree saver with the winch, next on deck is some gloves, shackles, and tow hooks around the corners of the jeep. Hoping to get a safety thimble and synthetic line down the road, but I don't think that's as high priority as the others.

How necessary is the snatch block? I thought I might've read somewhere that it doesn't end up being nearly as necessary as some people might think, but could be wrong.

Also, the product at that link you posted is no longer available. I do get the gist of what you're showing me though.

Yeah - I am trying to get the rest of the "kit" as well. I got a tree saver with the winch, next on deck is some gloves, shackles, and tow hooks around the corners of the jeep. Hoping to get a safety thimble and synthetic line down the road, but I don't think that's as high priority as the others.

How necessary is the snatch block? I thought I might've read somewhere that it doesn't end up being nearly as necessary as some people might think, but could be wrong.

Also, the product at that link you posted is no longer available. I do get the gist of what you're showing me though.
I live an area where the cold saps the strength of wire cable in half. The spot we were winching yesterday had a snapped winch cable. So I walked away with a free hook and 10’ of garbage cable.

anything I can do to enhance the mechanical advantage.

a good kit helps, I like that this one came with a folding shovel, didn’t realize it wasn’t available anymore.

so yesterday, My neighbor called me up; he got buried in the snow. It always amazes me how many people (5) show up to a stuck vehicle with no shovel.

Should I have a hoop on my bumper for the winch? I went back to the stock bumper, and put a winch plate on it. I've read the hoop is supposed to protect the winch, but how likely are situations where it'll be needed? I'd hate to ruin my expensive winch just from missing that little tube of metal, but I'm digging the look without it. Am I making a mistake running a winch without a hoop?

Should I have a hoop on my bumper for the winch? I went back to the stock bumper, and put a winch plate on it. I've read the hoop is supposed to protect the winch, but how likely are situations where it'll be needed? I'd hate to ruin my expensive winch just from missing that little tube of metal, but I'm digging the look without it. Am I making a mistake running a winch without a hoop?
bumper jewelry

I would definitely get a snatch block... it's one of those things that when you need it, you need it.